PDA

View Full Version : vCore boot error on NF7-S

Elmo
01-30-2004, 05:42 AM
My system as it stands is in my sig, but I guess i need to explain whats going on. My 2500+ in the NF7-S was doing 2.5GHz on air (227 x 11) at 1.85 vCore stable. i was having no problems (save for the high temp of 50 degrees).

So, after 2-3 weeks of stable benching at 2.5GHz, i wanted to see how far the processor would go. I tried pushing it to 230 and 235MHz FSB. I got it to 234 stable, but I was pushing the vCore to the limit, with it at 2v.

I guess I should mention that i was also getting odd vCore readings. In the BIOS, the vCore would be set to 1.825 and it would show 1.7 in the PCHealth part. Then, CPU-Z would show 1.82v, and hardware doctor would show 1.9.

I took it down to 1.85 and set the FSB to 227 again. Then, while playing some CS, my computer crashed and I got this warning tone from the case speaker. The warning tone did not turn off with the computer, and did not turn off until I removed the power cable.

Now, after weeks of stable running, my PC wont boot at 1.85 vCore. Instead, the highest setting I can set and get a post screen is 1.825. It is not that it will load into windows and crash, but it wont post at all and I am forced to remove the CMOS battery to get it to post again.

So, my question is this: Is there some way that the NF7-S could have set a maximum vCore by itself, is there any over-volt protection, is it possible that my PSU is overvolting the motherboard, (generic compUSA 500watt psu) or have I simply pushed the motherboard too far (i dont think so, seeing as others have their vCores much higher than mine). I do not believe i have damaged the board, simply because it does boot, but at a lower vCore.

Thanks for any help.

Oc2theSkY
01-30-2004, 05:48 AM
I have a similar problem. If I try to go over 1.85 I get that siren. However I don't think it is the board. I changed boards and still get it. I upgraded to a pcpandc psu so it is not that. I think it may be the cpu itself. Not sure but I would like an answer on this too.

Elmo
01-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna stick it into my new board when it arrives... my other board is a A7N8X and that cant touch the NF7-S so i will see if it is the cpu.

Speedo
02-12-2004, 01:32 AM
Have you tried skipping 1.85 and going straight for 1.875 instead? I couldn't boot at one of those 2 voltages, and after getting rather pissed off I skipped to the next setting up for the hell of it, and it worked! So I have 1 voltage setting that it won't boot at, which is rather odd..