PDA

View Full Version : Crosair "HydroCool200"Xtreme Water Cooling System

Dissolved
01-30-2004, 04:50 AM
These any good?

i saw one in frys the other day, and it looked cool. was quiet also.

i know its weak, but for 2 bills @ egg it seems worth it..

only prob is i have a 64, so i might have to mod the block on there :\

AngryAlpaca
01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, if you want something loud, that performs equally well to the top aircooling, and is much more expensive, then you should go for it. That's all you're really getting.

CCW
01-30-2004, 10:14 AM
A good (ThermalRight) heatsink will most probably beat it, for cheap watercooling, take one very large bucket, tubing and a waterblock, cheap too.

Craig

PyroTeknik
01-30-2004, 11:36 AM
grace or geekgodess has one i believe ask them...

Grace
01-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by PyroTeknik
grace or geekgodess has one i believe ask them...

I don't. I think that GeekGoddess does have it.

My opinion about it is right here (http://www.vr-zone.com/index.cgi?i=37&s=7) though.
I wouldn't ever recommend it over a hand-picked solution.

Dissolved
01-30-2004, 02:05 PM
i read about 5 reveiws and they all seemed to like it.

i wont be able to use it on my 64, but my 2600+ XP might be a Good answer in my mini XPC.

my XPC has a heatpipe sink, and im almost positive this would be at least 1c better :)

So, i might try it out. ill have to get something better for my 64, i just dont know yet.

AngryAlpaca
01-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Yeah, reviews are crap. They're relative to something, usually something old and crappy, to make it look good. It's NOT very good, in fact. An RBX, Mag 3, procore setup will beat it by a long shot.

Dissolved
01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by AngryAlpaca
Yeah, reviews are crap. They're relative to something, usually something old and crappy, to make it look good. It's NOT very good, in fact. An RBX, Mag 3, procore setup will beat it by a long shot.

i dont wanna spend 400. this is 200, and im not looking for a great setup. just going in a mini XPC.

and not all reveiws are crap unless its from Toms :)

sandman
01-30-2004, 10:31 PM
uhmm...an RBX is like $50, a mag 3 is like 40, and a procore is like $40.

Add in some tubes and fittings, and you're under $130, along with better performance. But, you seem set on it anyway....

Dissolved
01-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by sandman
uhmm...an RBX is like $50, a mag 3 is like 40, and a procore is like $40.

Add in some tubes and fittings, and you're under $130, along with better performance. But, you seem set on it anyway....

what am i suppose to do with all that in a mini pc?

i wanted to ask how good the cosair system was, not whats better.

sandman
01-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Ok, the corsair system will be better than the current heatpipe solution.

It could get loud through.......

Grace
01-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Just a thought, doesn't the Koolance Exos appeal to you? It should be about the same price and at least it is smaller and more quiet.

sandman
01-31-2004, 08:44 AM
The corsair is better by a decent amount though.

AngryAlpaca
01-31-2004, 09:54 AM
The corsair is equal to an SLK-900A with the stock fan. sandman: 1 degree higher, at 100 watts load.

Grace
01-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by sandman
The corsair is better by a decent amount though.

Actually no, it isn't.:)

Dissolved
02-04-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Grace
Just a thought, doesn't the Koolance Exos appeal to you? It should be about the same price and at least it is smaller and more quiet.

i dont see how its smaller?

its long, and would use more desk space.

i ordered the corsair unit, as it is a far better setup for my mini/XPC

from what ive read it only goes about 5c higher then room temp at load. so i can totaly live with that plus its very quiet.

Grace
02-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Dissolved

from what ive read it only goes about 5c higher then room temp at load. so i can totaly live with that plus its very quiet.

You ARE kidding. Not MY watercooling setup can keep the CPU within 5c under load from the ambient temperature. I reckon at LEAST 15-20c difference under load. About it being quiet, I must have some sensitive ears...

GeekGoddess
02-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Hiyas! Yup, I got me one of those, and using it got my 2.5 Gig Mhz OC,,,almost catching up to Jamal's subzero cooling! LOL, and it never even raised the temp with the volts cranked up. We compared it to the exos when looking into it. I find it a pretty decent system. Its about the size of a lunchbox, but you can strip it out and put it in your case if its big enough. Its quiet, not loud at all. I woulndt know it was on if it wasnt for a beep when it starts and the lighted temp display. What we liked about it over the exos was how easy it was so install and set up. I had it together, up and was booting in about 15-20 minutes. The hoses on the Corsair are practically flush with some quickconnex on the back of it, unlike the Exos, which has hose connectors which stick out about least an inch, and there is a lot less assembly needed with the corsair. As for the waterblock, the corsair comes w/ everything you need, including that and the mounting. (which is nice,,adaptors for both amd and intel), the Exos doesnt come with a waterblock (they charge ya about $50 bucks for one of theirs). The hoses are good too. If your looking for the easiest, best bang for the buck, I'd get the corsair. It really does take away a lot of heat, It does keep my Cpu running at about 26.5-28.5 C (about 85F)according to its own temp gauge on it, add about 15F on it, and thats my chip itself. Thats verified by a thermosensor I put on the chip when I did my recent movein to my new case, and also its right on target w/ my mobo sensor. It has a automatic turbo fan mode (just turns on the fan a little more when its needed, doesnt do much more), but you can manually turn it on, and you can have it display either C or F for temps. Highest temps Iv'e seen it run? 33.5C when the ambient was warm and using CPUBurn-in. I'm using for coolant the anti-freeze that came w/ it and water. You might try something else like a methanol/antifreeze mix to see if you get a bit more heat pulled away. All in all, I like it,,,had it since sept or oct last year, never had any probs, and plan on keeping it till I eventually get a chiller of my own set up. Also, IMO, Fry's quite often sells factory B's in quality for most of their stuff, have had a lot of things from there crap out on us, but the Hydrocool is the best buy I ever got from them. Hope this helps ya make your decision. :)

Reflex1
02-04-2004, 11:56 AM
:slobber: damn u convinced me, we all want 1 now :rolleyes:
i had an EXOS before ...didnt stay long.
but for an xpc the hydrocool is perfect. maybe just change the block.

AngryAlpaca
02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
So what are you comparing it to, for your temps, and your overclock? If it happens to be nothing, or an EXOS, or another kit, or aircooling, it's sort of irrelevant (Well, comparing to an EXOS or another kit might be relevant, I don't remember what happened in this thread) It probably is easy. If kits weren't easy, they wouldn't sell at all.

GeekGoddess
02-04-2004, 07:49 PM
So what are you comparing it to, for your temps, and your overclock? If it happens to be nothing, or an EXOS, or another kit, or aircooling, it's sort of irrelevant (Well, comparing to an EXOS or another kit might be relevant, I don't remember what happened in this thread) It probably is easy. If kits weren't easy, they wouldn't sell at all.

I compared it to JamalJaco's waterchiller. He's running an ave temp in his system of -25C to -30C....as to comparing it to other products, It does cool better and is quieter than a caseload of fans, and is easier to assemble than the EXOS. Agreed, if kits weren't easy to do, they prob wouldnt sell. However, there are a lot of people who want to OC, want to cool their CPU better than fans, and don't have either the time, experience, tools, or knowledge needed to build their own superchiller for that. Not to mention that everyone has to start somewhere. :) I'm really not much of a OC'er, but I do get into fits of wanting to do it. So, it works good for me. What Jamal and I really liked about the Hydrocool is that it is a more complete kit than Exos,,,it comes with a really nice microchannel waterblock, unlike the Exos which came with no block at all. We have bought two of the Hydrocool's, and Jamal is now using his hoses and waterblock on his VGA with his superchiller,,,and its doing just great. One other thing I dont think I mentioned,,,the Hydrocool is made to pull away 200w of heat...it's handled everything Jamal and I have thrown at it very nicely (and he's the true OC'er in the house).:D

mdzcpa
02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
So what are you comparing it to, for your temps, and your overclock? If it happens to be nothing, or an EXOS, or another kit, or aircooling, it's sort of irrelevant

wtf are you talking about?:rolleyes:

Any CPU cooling solution applied to the same test bench set up is completely relevant. Cooling performance can certainly be compared, but that's not even the point. More importanltly, there are a number of factors to compare amongst all types of cooling solutions. Price, ease of use, noise level, power requirements, maintenance...and the list goes on.

I dunno AngryAlpaca, I've been reading your posts and it seems you really are "angry" and not too open to other opinions but your own:) Either that or someone died and made you OC king;)

EDIT - The HydroCool is indeed a nice, self contained, portable, easy to use, decent performing, fairly quiet cooling solution. For the application you describe, it would be a good choice. Building your own water cooling system usually results in better cooling performance (like that's something we don't already know), but, that doesn't sound like that's your most important need.

AngryAlpaca
02-04-2004, 09:00 PM
It's true, the Corsair does offer convenience and cooling equivalent to high end aircooling. 200W of heat really isn't a lot, and what they claim it can take away is a little impractical, as the temps they shoot for is usually just below MAXIMUM temperature for what it is designed for... I don't want an 80C processor.

mdzcpa: If we are comparing a kit to a custom made system, comparing it to aircooling, a kit, or someone else's setup on a different machine doesn't mean anything. Also, I am closed-minded and angry. Happy? I generally assume that what everyone says is wrong, unless they have facts, or I trust them.

Grace
02-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
wtf are you talking about?:rolleyes:

Any CPU cooling solution applied to the same test bench set up is completely relevant. Cooling performance can certainly be compared, but that's not even the point. More importanltly, there are a number of factors to compare amongst all types of cooling solutions. Price, ease of use, noise level, power requirements, maintenance...and the list goes on.

I believe his point was not that, but that you can't compare by different systems.

That is, I have a better overclock with water than many modded Prometeia systems won't handle. It doesn't mean that my watercooling is better than a -70c cooling system. I just have a heck of CPU.

I compared it to JamalJaco's waterchiller. He's running an ave temp in his system of -25C to -30C

That's the mistake. He may just have a bad CPU, or bad PSU, or anything. To compare you'll need JamalJaco's waterchiller in your system! You can't compare cooling on different systems, it won't ever make any sense, let alone being accurate.

If he gets it and he is happy about it, I'll be happy about it. But when I had it and I compared almost every watercooling kit, system and piece a year back, I can't ever say that it made any good impression to me. I don't know, it may be due to the far superior systems I've seen so I might be a little biased towards the better and quieter solutions. So I just offer my opinion, but since he already ordered it, why you all bother?

jamaljaco
02-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Nothing wrong with my gear at all grace.I see your point though.
I found the hydrocool a fair system it did its job.I used it for several months and was not into building my own at the time I purchased it. I did not have any of the complaints or problems I have read in the reviews. The block could have been lapped a tad finer but you will find that true with many other blocks. If you need it polished to a mirror shine just hit it with some 2000 grit sandpaper.
Dissolved simply asked "these any good "? I say sure.
I'm now using the microchannel block that came with the hydrocool on my vid card @ -25c .

jamaljaco
02-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by jamaljaco

I'm now using the microchannel block that came with the hydrocool on my vid card @ -25c . Here is a pic.

GeekGoddess
02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
I believe his point was not that, but that you can't compare by different systems.

That is, I have a better overclock with water than many modded Prometeia systems won't handle. It doesn't mean that my watercooling is better than a -70c cooling system. I just have a heck of CPU.

That's the mistake. He may just have a bad CPU, or bad PSU, or anything. To compare you'll need JamalJaco's waterchiller in your system! You can't compare cooling on different systems, it won't ever make any sense, let alone being accurate.

If he gets it and he is happy about it, I'll be happy about it. But when I had it and I compared almost every watercooling kit, system and piece a year back, I can't ever say that it made any good impression to me. I don't know, it may be due to the far superior systems I've seen so I might be a little biased towards the better and quieter solutions. So I just offer my opinion, but since he already ordered it, why you all bother?

Ok, first, he wanted an opinion of it. That I gave, my own opinion. That's why I bothered. Besides, you mentioned that I had one, which begged me to reply to this thread.
Second, You may not have liked its capabilities, and it may not have done what you wanted/needed it to do. It satisfies my computing needs at this time quite nicely.
Third, I wasn't trying to 'compare' with JamalJaco's system, or any other system. This was not a review or a test. This was MY OWN opinion of MY OWN experiences with the Hydrocool200.
Fourth, JamalJaco doesn't have any bad parts on his puter, they are always in top form. He has an awesome setup, knows quality when he sees it, and is excellent at diagnosing any problems he might be having, and fixing them.
Grace, just because you may have gotten a badly manufactured one which made it noisy, doesn't mean that it is always a bad product. Every cpu cooler you get is never completly flat, whether its a fancooled heatsink or waterblock from DangerDen. That is why you lap it for a better surface. As to noise, mine is silent as the grave. Your ears must be sensitive, as you stated. We have two of them, and both work great. Never had any problems with them.
Your opinions expressed in this thread show that you are biased, and like the Exos model. I also looked at options available and reviews when I was looking into this purchase, as I always do. You stated that when you had it, you continued to compare. Does that mean that you bought others and tried those out on your system as well? Well, if not, according to your own statement, its not a fair assessment of the product.
Bottom line: I researched, I purchased, it suits my needs, and I am satisfied with it. An opinion was asked on the Corsair Hydrocool200, I offered one. I was not expecting it to be nitpicked or debated, or having to defend it.

I'm Done.

Grace
02-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by GeekGoddess
Ok, first, he wanted an opinion of it.

Third, I wasn't trying to 'compare' with JamalJaco's system, or any other system.

Grace, just because you may have gotten a badly manufactured one which made it noisy, doesn't mean that it is always a bad product.

Well....

Originally posted by Dissolved
i ordered the corsair unit, as it is a far better setup for my mini/XPC

He did.:D

Well, to define something, I'm not a mere user. It involves my work. Plus I really hate the Exos model as well for the price its going for vs the performance it offers, but what can I do, it was better than the Corsair unit when I've tested it! I don't believe that makes me biased, I'm never biased towards anything since it doesn't involve my interest, I'm not selling anything of those neither I have any gain if he gets it or not. I actually don't care of what he'll get. And yes, I've (at least) worked with 2-3 different units, I don't count how many I've seen, so that gets the 'quality control' part out of it since they were all the same and with no faults.

Second, I never questioned your opinion, of course you can have it and I respect it at the fullest I can. I just offered mine as well. You don't have to defend anything or debate about anything. I'm sorry if I gave you that feeling or any other bad feeling, I probably didn't say something the right way. But here you clearly say that you didn't try to compare it but at the other reply again you clearly said :

Originally posted by GeekGoddess
I compared it to JamalJaco's waterchiller.
So I merely misunderstood it probably.

Third, in my own personal and very humble opinion, I would trust the opinion of people like CCW, Sandman and the rest of them way more than a review. And just for a piece of advice, I never said that JamalJaco has any bad parts in his system, I believe that he is far better than that. But if you get 100 SAME parts, they all overclock in a way different manner. It doesn't involve any 'good eye' there, merely luck. That's why you can't compare cooling between systems, only in testbeds at the same time, day and enviromental state (temperature, humidity).

I'm sorry if I'm being a b!tch.

GeekGoddess
02-05-2004, 05:40 AM
...I really hate the Exos model as well for the price its going for vs the performance it offers...

Third, in my own personal and very humble opinion, I would trust the opinion of people like CCW, Sandman and the rest of them way more than a review... I never said that JamalJaco has any bad parts in his system, I believe that he is far better than that. But if you get 100 SAME parts, they all overclock in a way different manner. It doesn't involve any 'good eye' there, merely luck.

Agreed on the EXOS,,,I dont like the way they sell it incomplete and then sucker you for the extra $ for the block. After you fork out the $ for that, the unit ends up costing more $ than for the Corsair. Plus, for noobs like me when it comes to the liquid cooling (complete and utter noob, didnt know crap about the subject when I got it), I liked that the Corsair came with the block already clamped on the block from the factory,,less leakage risk on my mobo.

Totally agreed on the review part. But then, this is before we found XtremeSystems. Also totally agreed on the different manner in how things clock. You either luck out and get a killer unit or not. Even things that are made one right after the other, exactly the same way, in exactly the same conditions can be totally dif in performance, and when blended with the other dif components, they just might not work well together for some odd reason.

I'm sorry if I'm being a b!tch. [/B]

Nowadays, any strong woman with a mind & opinion of her own, and who isnt afraid to put them out there is considered a B!tch. So, on that,,,,,,
Lady, You and Me both!! LOL...

[Now I'm gonna sit back and wait for the "Cat Fight" comments to come in,,,,;))

Reflex1
02-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Nowadays, any strong woman with a mind & opinion of her own, and who isnt afraid to put them out there is considered a B!tch. lol.

Badge56
11-25-2004, 05:10 PM
I am using a Hydrocool200 EX. EX is the key word here. Its the new model. Quieter than the original I guess.
Anyone who says its no better than a Heatsink does not know what he is talking about.

It may not be the TOP OF THE LINE jobbie but its OUTSIDE the case, and that was important to me, It well made and works great.

When on Turbo mode... its a little loud but I never use Turbo unless I am benching and pushing the limits... In every day use its not needed.

The A64 clip they invented is however crap..... and expensive.
PS.. It works but you must modify it.

fareastgq
11-27-2004, 12:01 PM
how about just trying a thermalright xp 120 with a nice 120mm fan @ 30 dba or less? it's only about 50 bucks or less. still very quiet, cools like hell, nothing to mess with. I have water myself in my lian li pc75, but I've built a couple a64 systems with thermalrights and they are top notch air.

eva2000
11-27-2004, 12:56 PM
my Corsair Hydrocool allowed me to bench my 3.2EE @ 4ghz easy :)

Badge56
12-11-2004, 05:35 PM
The corsair is equal to an SLK-900A with the stock fan. sandman: 1 degree higher, at 100 watts load.

I have a Hydrocoll and you are wrong.... verry wrong. I had a Swifteck (model ??) with a Delta 80mm super loud fan before with 6 case fans and the Hydrocool is much better.. much

Dissolved
12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a Hydrocoll and you are wrong.... verry wrong. I had a Swifteck (model ??) with a Delta 80mm super loud fan before with 6 case fans and the Hydrocool is much better.. much

Yup, im still useing mine, Full speed its quietier then my 74gb raptor and 300gb maxtor.