PDA

View Full Version : How to clean thermal pads?

Odai
02-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Hello,

I recently disassembled my water cooling system (about 3 weeks ago) and am ready to re-install everything. However, I realised I foolishly left my VGA block (and the thermal pads) totally uncovered for those three weeks.

As a result, a fair amount of dust/hair/lint etc has built up on the pads. Any ideas on how I can clean these things enough to install them on my card?

Thanks!

Odai.

CrazyNutz
02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I would use q-tips dipped in a little isopropyl alcohol. Rub over them till the muck comes off, you should not need to use much pressure.

Dr_Swizz
02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I have cleaned solid thermal pads using hot water and mild soap.

Polizei
02-11-2012, 10:08 AM
He doesn't want to remove them guy... he wants to re-use them after cleaning the dust/hair off of them..

defect9
02-11-2012, 01:53 PM
+1 soap and water (or even just water).

get a small dipping cup (for sauces or something) filled with water and pretend you're washing very tiny clothing in the 1800s without a washboard. be gentle and just rub the gunk off them, making sure not to tear them. let them dry and reinstall.

CrazyNutz
02-11-2012, 04:21 PM
He doesn't want to remove them guy... he wants to re-use them after cleaning the dust/hair off of them..

??? Who said anything about removing them ???

Anyhow the reason you would use alcohol is that it will evaporate very rapidly, and leave no residue behind. It is one of the de facto solvents used in cleaning components at the factory.

PatRaceTin
02-11-2012, 07:15 PM
i use WD40