PDA

View Full Version : Advice with PCI-E x8/x16 Problem

Matlad
02-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Hello. I have just upgraded to a i5 2500k and Asus maximus iv gene-z gen 3. Because this board is so small and i am using a huge cpu cooler and also a thermalright shaman on my GTX570, i cannot install my graphics card into the 1st pci-e slot to run at x16. It is installed into the seconds pci-e slot but only running at x8 and there is no way around this according to the manual, it needs to be in the 1st slot to benefit from x16 bandwidth.

My question is, is it worth it to change my aftermarket cooling so i can use the 1st slot, or is it a waste of money?
I do plan on keeping the board for a while and maybe getting a new gfx card later on that will be pci-e 3.0, maybe a new nvidia gtx780.
The picture isnt very clear but i have a mega cpu cooler with a thermaltake 140mm fan attached. The thermalright shaman gpu cooler has 4 large bolts on the back that would interfere with the cpu cooler. I could always just get some different bolts and change the 140mm cpu fan for a 120mm fan as it is a little overkill anyway, BUT, is it worth the messing about or is it ok at x8?

zanzabar
02-09-2012, 02:23 AM
u wont see anything noticeable by changing to a 16x slot from an 8x, there may be a gain of 1%.

Matlad
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Ok, thanks. Glad to hear i dont need to take it apart again!
Will have to when i upgrade but not for now!

NEOAethyr
02-10-2012, 07:05 AM
You got one of the higher end heatsinks I would leave it be.
Though if you can get it in there by removing the fan, it might be worth doing that.
Only if you are comfy with the change to a 120mm fan.