PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling advice for a new LGA 2011 build

aln688
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm building an LGA 2011 system and decided to use watercooling, for the first time.

The motherboard is an Asus Rampage IV Gene within a Fractal Design Arc Mini (Mini, not Midi) case. I'm currently looking for a minimalist watercooling setup to cool only the CPU, nothing else. I've done a lot of reading so far, and decided on the following parts:

* CPU waterblock - XSPC Raystorm
* Radiator - XSPC RX120 (I only want one 120mm fan, not a two fan setup)
* Pump - Swiftech MCP35x
* Reservoir - Swiftech MCP35x-Res

The XSPC Raystorm is supposed to be a good low-restriction block, compatible with the LGA 2011 mount. I also see XSPC makes reservoirs with built-in pumps, do they complete with the Swiftech? I assume not, Swiftech pumps seem universally popular.

I've yet to decide on tubing or the other parts I'd need.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

bds71
02-06-2012, 05:58 AM
LGA 2011 is a 130W core. i'm not sure a single 120 rad would cool it very well (as is evidenced by the many poor reviews of the intel WC solution that comes as an option with this CPU). perhaps a high fin density rad with push/pull high speed fans, but if your looking for a single low speed fan solution i think you're going to be dissapointed with your performance/OC-ability.

RCG_Bex
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM
If it's only a single rad you'd be cheaper buying an all-in-one unit and buying good quality fans for it.

aln688
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
LGA 2011 is a 130W core. i'm not sure a single 120 rad would cool it very well (as is evidenced by the many poor reviews of the intel WC solution that comes as an option with this CPU). perhaps a high fin density rad with push/pull high speed fans, but if your looking for a single low speed fan solution i think you're going to be dissapointed with your performance/OC-ability.

I see. But the Corsair H80 is a single rad solution and it gets quite good reviews. I would go with that option except I've read a few cases where people with LGA 2011 mounts have problems with the bracket, and find they have to either bend it or put force on the MB to get it on - I refuse to do that. I thought I could avoid that and get a better quality kit by DIYing it.

How about this rad?

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=811

It's 30 FPI, quite high. The XSPC one I commented on is only 8 FPI, likely for low speed fans. This Koolance rad I could setup in a push/pull combination. What you said explains why most images I see of system builds use a 240 (?) rad mounted on the upper part of the case, instead of a single rad. I'd rather not have the case top-heavy which is why I'd prefer a single rad.

defect9
02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
depending on your willingness, you could throw two separate 120 rads in that case. there's enough mounts around the case.