PDA

View Full Version : the good and the bad of moving from MCP655 to MCP35X ?

andressergio
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Guys

im a user of the famous D5 or MCP655 with variables speeds, now i see this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11740/ex-pmp-109/Swiftech_MCP35X_12v_PWM_Controlled_Water_Pump_-_Black.html?tl=g30c107s153

difference on both is head pressure and litters per hour

MCP655 more L/H but less head pressure

MCP35X mode head pressure but less L/H

what of the 2 would choose or maybe theres no diff at all, my only concern is that MCP35X has poor L/H

any words i would appreciatte too much
cheers to all
Sergio

BeepBeep2
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.swiftech.com/images/swiftech-pumps-compared.png

stephenswiftech
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
if you take a look at the graph above you'll see that the MCP655 only has higher discharge for pressure < 1mH2O - which is pretty much impossible to do with a realistic LC system. All that means is that the MCP35X does better than the MCP655 on the whole usable range.

The MCP35X also gives you a way to adjust the pump speed in the bios and/or under windows - which is a great feature for a lot of people.

penguins
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
The disadvantage is $. that is all.

On a un related side note, BeepBeep now I know where I see your avatar ALL THE TIME on Pandora Lol.

stren
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Really you want to compare the D5 strong (PMP-450s) with the 24V controller rather than the D5 vario, it's flow rates are much more comparable to the 35x. The 35x is a great pump but it gets hot when the flow rates are high, i.e. you want airflow over it, and if you have a low restriction loop, you may want to add a heatsink.

Martinm210
02-01-2012, 06:33 PM
The other thing often overlooked, but important is efficiency/heat dump. The DDC series like the 35X are quite a bit more electrically efficient than the D5s.
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/255/35xefficiency.jpg

In addition the D5 has a metal impeller casing which transfers heat into the water. This is good in terms of keeping the electronics cool, but bad in terms of more heat dumped. You end up with more flow per watt dumped using DDC pumps which is good on the bottom line loop performance.

I used to be more on the fence between DDCs and D5 and was actually a D5 only users back in the DDC2 days. Then the DDC3.2s came out and the decision was a bit of a wash...liked the small size and power of the DDCs, but I also liked the D5's slightly better noise and manual speed control.

Then the 35X came out with PWM which can automatically adjust the speed which is a huge benefit over manual speed control on the D5. After running one like that and also PWM controlling my fans, I don't think I could go back to a fixed speed pump/fan system. A fixed speed pump or fan is just not acceptable for me anymore...automatic speed is the way to go.

andressergio
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
thanks all for the answers, i will have to try it to see in real life now i have the MCP6500 with EKTOP and i wanted to get another pump as its my only one and no backup, and as i leave in South America no watercooling shops in this country i want to have a pump that i can replace and keeps going OR if i have the chance to get a better one i do it

so from what i read the MCP35X its overall better than what im using right ?

cheers to all

*Martin thanks for the graphs and all i always follow your page

Sergio

Endgame
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
The other thing often overlooked, but important is efficiency/heat dump. The DDC series like the 35X are quite a bit more electrically efficient than the D5s.
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/255/35xefficiency.jpg
Then the 35X came out with PWM which can automatically adjust the speed which is a huge benefit over manual speed control on the D5. After running one like that and also PWM controlling my fans, I don't think I could go back to a fixed speed pump/fan system. A fixed speed pump or fan is just not acceptable for me anymore...automatic speed is the way to go.

Several questions with this. Is the power draw low enough that I dare to use a pair of DDCs off of motherboard headers, or would it require a separate controller? I already own a single D5 and am looking to pickup a Koolance 401 or 452 -- would you personally spend the extra to go with a dual DDC solution like the 401, or save some money and use the existing D5 and go with a 452?

st0ned
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I traded my D5 for two MCP-35X and I didn't regret it :)

Trox
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Sergio,

I'm moving from a 655 to a 35X this week, plus his reservoir and heatsink.

PM me and I tell you the price I'll get it.

Cheers,

Bruno

andressergio
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Sergio,

I'm moving from a 655 to a 35X this week, plus his reservoir and heatsink.

PM me and I tell you the price I'll get it.

Cheers,

Bruno

Thanks Bruno i PM'd you on local forum
Cheers
Sergio

andressergio
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
if you take a look at the graph above you'll see that the MCP655 only has higher discharge for pressure < 1mH2O - which is pretty much impossible to do with a realistic LC system. All that means is that the MCP35X does better than the MCP655 on the whole usable range.

The MCP35X also gives you a way to adjust the pump speed in the bios and/or under windows - which is a great feature for a lot of people.

thanks stephen

stephenswiftech
02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Several questions with this. Is the power draw low enough that I dare to use a pair of DDCs off of motherboard headers, or would it require a separate controller? I already own a single D5 and am looking to pickup a Koolance 401 or 452 -- would you personally spend the extra to go with a dual DDC solution like the 401, or save some money and use the existing D5 and go with a 452?

MCP35X (as well as MCP350, MCP355 and MCP35B) all come with a 4-pin molex type connector for the power. The 3-pin (4-pin for MCP35X) connectors that goes on the motherboard does not have power wires.

stren
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM

In addition the D5 has a metal impeller casing which transfers heat into the water. This is good in terms of keeping the electronics cool, but bad in terms of more heat dumped. You end up with more flow per watt dumped using DDC pumps which is good on the bottom line loop performance.

I used to be more on the fence between DDCs and D5 and was actually a D5 only users back in the DDC2 days. Then the DDC3.2s came out and the decision was a bit of a wash...liked the small size and power of the DDCs, but I also liked the D5's slightly better noise and manual speed control.

This is very true for a lot of builds and I'm reconsidering to go with the the mcp35x2 for my gaming rig for similar reasons, for my workstation/folding rig though the load is constant so the PWM is no longer an advantage.

andressergio
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
i ordered it :) will try it soon !

thanks for all the replies guys

Sergio