PDA

View Full Version : Filling Loop for the First Time

jcrouse
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
I am getting ready to leak test my new build (first build) for the first time. I have a cylinder type reservoir and plan on filling through a port in the top of the reservoir, however, I have a radiator mounted in the top of the case which is obviously above the reservoir, hence fill port. How do I do this since the fill port is below the level of water I need (I think) in the system. This must be common with all the top mounted radiators. I realize I can hook up a piece of tubing, hold it above the radiator and fill, but how do I then remove the fill tubing without all the water from the radiator running all over the place?

Thanks,
John

Annoyingmouse
02-01-2012, 05:51 AM
If your setup has your pump directly after the res, then just fill up the res and run the pump for a few seconds to empty the res into the loop, and keep refilling it until your loop is full.

CrazyNutz
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
You have nothing to worry about just fill your res. I have the exact same config on one of my systems.

Polizei
02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
I would suggest taking the res out of the holders, laying the case down flat, and then filling the loop that way, but you're using a fill port so that kind of makes it impossible. I guess you'll just have to fill the res, start the pump for a second or two, shut it off, fill again. Keep the fill port open so air can escape when the pump is on.

jcrouse
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
... Keep the fill port open so air can escape when the pump is on.

And there in lies most of my concern. I can easily fill the res since I'm using a port on top of the res and my pump IS directly below the res. I can even hook up a hose long enough to be higher than the top radiator, however, I am worried about the air escaping the loop. If I remove the fill line from the top of the res, the fill port is now lower than the top rad and I would think Mr. Gravity will cause the water from the top res to just run out the port. I guess I will have to leave the fill line attached and higher than the top res until I get the loop bleed. Even then, I still need to remove the line (fitting) and get a plug in the port without water running everywhere. Any more thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Polizei
02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Lay the case on its motherboard side and pull the res out of the holder and disconnect the fill port. You should be able to bleed it that way without issue by jogging the pump on and off. It'll be much easier/faster to bleed than leaving the case standing upright and the radiator above the reservoir.

CrazyNutz
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Here's a pic of mine: (ignore the jingway pump caption)
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/crazynutzz/CIMG0382.jpg

There are no issues. Do you think coolant is going to overflow out of the res? Is that is what your worries are? This will not happen even with the fill port open.

Again just fill the res with coolant, you can leave the fill port open until all the bubbles are gone.