PDA

View Full Version : 19" watercooling configuration.

melle.k
01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey everyone. :)

I am designing a 19" watercooling setup to go in my 19 " rack. I made a design with sketchup. The goal is to make the watercooling unit as good as possible within the space I had in mind.

My question to you expert guys: Would you do anything different in this loop? Add something? Leave something out? anything.

Loop: CPU> pump1> radiator1> radiator2> pump2> CPU.

The radiators in the sketchup are just for measurement they will actually be 2X 420 RS1

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/Melle099/watercoolingontwerp2.png

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/Melle099/watercoolingontwerp3.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

stren
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Wouldn't you want the motherboard io panel to be rear or front facing? Facing the side seems odd. Same with psu I assume it will go underneath though. If you're running 1 loop why are you using 2 reservoirs? You'd be better off just running the pumps in series.

Makymaco
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
You have to figure out how the air is circulating in your rack, from where is coming the fresh air.
If the sides of the rack are plain, the rads will have problems to suck fresh air properly

2 x 420 only for the cpu is too much in my opinion

And put the rad just before the cpu for a very little better temp.

PS : Sorry for my english

melle.k
01-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't you want the motherboard io panel to be rear or front facing? Facing the side seems odd. Same with psu I assume it will go underneath though. If you're running 1 loop why are you using 2 reservoirs? You'd be better off just running the pumps in series.

I don't really know how I want my mobo to be placed. looking at my case all angles are possible though. But I will figure that out when I am building this thing.

2 reservoirs where for the looks, and to have easy draining and filling. I also have a dual pump top in my current system, would it be better to use that one?

You have to figure out how the air is circulating in your rack, from where is coming the fresh air.
If the sides of the rack are plain, the rads will have problems to suck fresh air properly

2 x 420 only for the cpu is too much in my opinion

And put the rad just before the cpu for a very little better temp.

PS : Sorry for my english This is the case without side panels, I think airflow wont be a problem:p:.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/Melle099/DSC_0122.jpg

In the future I want to extend the loop with a GPU block and maybe even more thats why I got a second 420. By closer to the CPU, do you mean turn the radiators the other way so the in and outlet are closer?

stren
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
I guess maybe the 2 reservoirs would work - I was thinking at first a speed difference would mean that one pump would run dry and the other would end up with all the liquid, but if you enough water in the reservoir that can't happen. If you already have a dual top though I'd just that. I'm not sure using two makes filling and draining easier - if anything it's more to fill and drain?

Interesting rack - I see now why you were thinking to do it that way. I'm used to racks with closed or open sides, and open fronts/backs

Makymaco
01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
CPU> pump1> radiator1> radiator2> pump2> CPU => [ CPU> pump1> pump2> radiator1> radiator2> CPU ] or [ CPU> pump1> radiator1> pump2> radiator2> CPU ]
The difference in temp from your loop is tiny.

melle.k
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it very much. Keep em coming :up:

I guess maybe the 2 reservoirs would work - I was thinking at first a speed difference would mean that one pump would run dry and the other would end up with all the liquid, but if you enough water in the reservoir that can't happen. If you already have a dual top though I'd just that. I'm not sure using two makes filling and draining easier - if anything it's more to fill and drain?

Interesting rack - I see now why you were thinking to do it that way. I'm used to racks with closed or open sides, and open fronts/backs

The rack has sidepanels and a door, but even when I put them on there is still 7 cm of space on each side of the rad I also have the the possibility to mount two 120mm fans in the top of the case. And if I want to get creative I could mod a ventilating sidepanel in there. So airflow is taken care of :up:

=> [ CPU> pump1> pump2> radiator1> radiator2> CPU ] or [ CPU> pump1> radiator1> pump2> radiator2> CPU ]
The difference in temp from your loop is tiny. What will improve if I put the loop in either one of these orders, Better flowrate = better temps? Or will the placement improve the temps of the water itself?

Makymaco
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?225485-Test-Report-Loop-Order-does-it-make-a-difference

Polizei
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Loop order makes no practical difference. Route your loop so you use the least amount of tubing.

I'll be watching this because I'm trying to source a couple 4U cases and a 12U rack for something similar...

iboomalot
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I would suggest the dual pump with rez see link

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10018/ex-pmp-95/EK_525_Mountable_DDC_Dual_Top_V2_-_Black_Acetal_-_Laing_DDC_Swiftech_MCP350355_EK-DDC_Dual_TOP_V2_G14_-_Black_Acetal.html#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/large/ex-pmp-95_2.jpg

and use a fill port with a funnel to fill the rez

melle.k
01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys :up:

@iboomalot: I should have mentioned that I already have the reservoirs, and pumps. I also have a dual top to choose from. Thanks for the tip though :)

Polizei
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Where did you get that rack and how much? All the 12-16U racks I've seen cost about 30 functioning kidneys.

Church
01-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Hmm, in sketches of your rackmounted case i don't like that much unused space between rads. How about moving motherboard there for more compact overall design?
Another thought comes about HDD placement. If not motherboard, how about placing HDDs on rad shelf instead, in path of rad fan airflow?

melle.k
01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Where did you get that rack and how much? All the 12-16U racks I've seen cost about 30 functioning kidneys. Its a no brand one from a Dutch reseller. The original case is from Kendal&Howard http://www.kendallhoward.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=3140-3-001-12. I think there are some minor differences between the reseller ones and the original, but I got it for about €150. If you want I could send you some more pictures

Hmm, in sketches of your rackmounted case i don't like that much unused space between rads. How about moving motherboard there for more compact overall design?
Another thought comes about HDD placement. If not motherboard, how about placing HDDs on rad shelf instead, in path of rad fan airflow? I do like the spaciousness of the bottom shelf, although I might place the PSU there and maybe a fan controller of some kind ect ect. Its future proof :)

Thanks for your opinion though :)

Section8
01-13-2012, 01:15 PM
=> [ CPU> pump1> pump2> radiator1> radiator2> CPU ] or [ CPU> pump1> radiator1> pump2> radiator2> CPU ]
The difference in temp from your loop is tiny.

Loop order makes no difference other than having the reservoir before the pump to feed it. In a closed loop temperature equalizes. WC 101.