PDA

View Full Version : Each Nvidia scaling option has huge variation in input lag even in native rez

R0acH
01-04-2012, 10:03 PM
If you change Nvidia scaling from it's default "Display - Aspect Ratio" to "Display - No Scaling", you immediately notice a large decrease in input lag, even when the screen is running in native rez and not even scaling. The default setting should not be increasing input lag in native rez, but it is.

The lowest input lag mode, "Display - No Scaling", is also not as responsive as it should be. I've owned GeForce cards since the Geforce 256 in 1999 and have never noticed input lag in any drivers until the 190 series drivers came out. 186.82 has practically 0 input lag, soon as the 190 series hit, the input lag has been all over the place.

Here's other people who have also noticed the problem:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1772/inputlag.png

My system specs:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 55i 2003 bios
CPU: i5-760 @ STOCK w/ speedstep turned off
Ram: 4g Gskill Eco 1600mhz 7-8-7-24 @ motherboard default timings
PSU: Corsair 750W PSU
HD: OCZ Agility 60g SSD 1.6 firmware, intel RST AHCI driver
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
GPU: MSI 570gtx stock clocks(evga 55nm 260gtx previously)
Mouse: Logitech G9x
One LCD attached (Samsung 245bw), DVI mode, 1080p rez
Desktop DPC Latency = 30

STEvil
01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm on 190.53 with SLI 480's. No mouse latency issues for me, though I do have my graphics settings set to use my displays built in scaler (Toshiba XV648) rather than the GPU, and the built in scaler is disabled so maybe i'm just tricking the drivers..

With the display scaler enabled you can feel huge amounts of input latency..

R0acH
01-05-2012, 02:14 AM
You're using a pre-fermi driver for SLI 480GTX??? How and why is this a good idea?

ClockZ
01-05-2012, 03:00 AM
I'm sure he meant 290.53, anyway thanks for this....very interesting.

mockingbird
01-05-2012, 04:13 AM
This is what has happened since people allowed DirectX to overtake OpenGL. Like IE vs HTML. Sure, nice features, pretty colors, but in the end you're left with a big blob of an unfixable mess. There's probably zero input lag in Linux. DirectX is now the monopoly API, and there aren't even any more good games coming out for PC anymore. People would rather play FPS' with a ridiculous controller on a 6 year old console with Radeon X1600 equivalent graphics than play with a proper keyboard and mouse on a blazingly fast modern platform. I hope all you computer ricers have learned your lesson and realized the damage you have done to the core computer industry.

PiLsY
01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
My mouse works in BF3 now! Awesome!

Shame its 2 months too late... :lol:

STEvil
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
oops yes 290.53, typo :p

Chrysalis
01-14-2012, 01:07 AM
I feel compelled to reply here as this guy has flooded various sites and I fear he will undo nvidia hard work in getting scaling fixed.

Some facts.

Nvidia scaling was completely non functional between the first WDDM 1.1 driver and 272.x drivers.

Then nvidia revamped scaling to fix the problem. For some of us scaling is a MAJOR issue and has to be working even if things like input lag increase. By the way I cant notice any lag.

Now regarding the extra options.

On my card eg. on warcraft 3. If I select the perform scaling on display option, it works in some apps and not others. If I select perfom on GPU option it fixes those broken apps. It especially fixes tv resolutions such as 480p and 720p. which 640x480 resolution is. If i select no scaling then nothing scales.

So to the guy who says he still has scaling it would seem his monitor without realising it is indeed scaling his stuff.

I cant believe people are moaning about more options, more options = good it = more control.

The way I see it if it breaks your games then just select no scaling since that fixes whatever problem it is, dont tell nvidia to undo these scaling changes and wreck it for those of us who need scaling.

PiLsY
01-15-2012, 02:27 AM
I cant believe people are moaning about more options, more options = good it = more control.

The way I see it if it breaks your games then just select no scaling since that fixes whatever problem it is, dont tell nvidia to undo these scaling changes and wreck it for those of us who need scaling.

We dont want the option removed, just itd be nice to have the default on the card as no gpu scaling if it causes input lag. A better explanation of the function of the different settings would also be of great help.

This setting has basically completely mucked up gameplay for me with the majority of fps games. Played nothing but single player RTS for months lol.

CrazyNutz
01-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Wow massive improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! Thanks:clap: