PDA

View Full Version : 3D Vision info thread, resolution limitaions, display sizes, etc...

miahallen
12-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Trying to patch together enough information to make a smart decision regarding a 3d Vision purchase can be difficult. I wanted to break down some of the common questions asked concerning 3D Vision to help you guys out if you're considering getting into 3D.

3D Vision really takes on two forms..."3D Vision" and "3DTV Play"

3DTV Play

This is an extra piece of software which allows 3D Vision to be used on non-3d Vision compatible displays.
If you don't already have a 3D Vision IR emitter hooked up to your PC, you must pay a one time $40 licensing fee to enable 3DTV Play on your system.
3DTV Play is especially handy to give you the ability to use your HDMI v1.4 equipped HDTV (and the TV's matching 3D glasses) to use 3D Vision capabilities.
There are resolution limitations with 3DTV Play, either 720p @ 60Hz (for gaming) or 1080p @ 24Hz (for movie watching).
3DTV Play is currently limited to HDMI frame packing 3D mode, despite the fact that HDMI and many HDTVs support other 3D modes.
The main cause of the resolution limitations is the HDMI v1.4 cable, which does not support high enough bandwidth for 1080p @ 60Hz.
You can check the list of compatible displays here. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html)
* note - There are many other displays that can be used with 3DTV Play unofficially, if you're up for using 3rd party software & tweaking/modding.

3DVision

This is the original implementation and allows for full 1080p @ 60fps
This will only work with "3D Vision" stamped HW....nothing else.
"3D Vision Surround" provides support for up to 3 identical monitors for a more immersive experience.
The only large displays that are 3D Vision compatible are the Mitsubishi DLP rear projection HDTVs, and I cannot seem to figure out whether or not they actually support 1080p @ 60Hz.
I believe the Mitsubishi TVs only have HDMI connectors (leading me to the conclusion they would also be resolution limited), but I cannot seem to dig up this information :-/
All the 3D Vision monitors currently on the market support 1080p @ 60Hz via a dual-link-DVI cable.
Some upcoming monitors with a DisplayPort will also have compatibility.
3DVision will game at 1080p@30hz on HDMI 1.3 TVs that support checkerboard, such as Mitsubishi and Samsung DLPs.
You can view the list of compatible displays here. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requirements.html)
* note - There are many other displays that can be used with 3D Vision unofficially, if you're up for using 3rd party software & tweaking/modding.

Now that you're armed with that information, you should be able to make a much more informed decision on your purchase, but feel free to ask questions if any come up.

Please let me know if any of the information here is incorrect or incomplete, I will update this post if needed :)