PDA

View Full Version : BP compression fittings' nickel plating flaking

Philwong
12-12-2011, 05:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/tmwong/wth.jpg
Encountered 4 compression fittings with corrosion in a two-year old loop using Fluid XP Eco Earth coolant. Other parts are no affected, including a nickel-plated full face GPU block. In fact, they're surprising clean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/tmwong/wt3.jpg
This is how the affected areas look like after some ketchup treatments. The nickel plating has flaked exposing the underlying brass material. The question now is whether it is safe to reuse these fittings? Will brass react with copper and chrome??

Phil

Kayin
12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
The plating is nickel, and it is technically possible to get a galvanic corrosion effect with brass and nickel in such close contact, but I thing the only REAL worry is that nickel would flake off into your system.

Philwong
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
The plating is nickel, and it is technically possible to get a galvanic corrosion effect with brass and nickel in such close contact, but I thing the only REAL worry is that nickel would flake off into your system.

Strange... there are so many people using BP fittings without this problem. Why would BP use nickel if it will react with brass on the first place?

Phil

Sparky
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Doubt this is an issue (and I still think EK just had poor plating on their blocks, personally), especially given that we've been using nickel plated brass barbs for years and years without ill effects. Why would it suddenly be a problem now?

I suspect that the plating is just wearing. All my barbs are a few years old now, NO CORROSION, but the plating is worn in spots. Looks a bit ugly but only if you stare at it will you really notice. If I get tired of it maybe I'll just find a way to strip the nickel off my fittings completely and go totally brass :D

Where it is flaky and loose I'd use a little fine sandpaper or something like that to just knock off anything loose so it doesn't end up in the loop and leave it at that.

elpcu
12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Probably it is pitting, but.... maybe not as well......
I have never heard about case like this....

Philwong
12-13-2011, 08:24 AM
So is it safe to reuse?

Phil

Section8
12-13-2011, 09:42 AM
So is it safe to reuse?

Phil

I wouldn't just for the fact that I wouldn't want it to flake off and end up in my system somewhere wedged between a channel in a block or something.

Kayin
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Nickel and brass normally only corrode in a situation where they're like this-with nickel peeling off brass. Call it a "perfect situation" issue, it's like I said far more likely that you'd simply get peeling nickel.