PDA

View Full Version : Search function too limited (under 4 character..)

matt simis
01-27-2004, 03:18 PM
I know this is done for performance reasons (usually is, correct me if Im wrong), but I think a valid argument would be that if the search was actaully helpful, there would be less useless posts repeating info ad nauseum and therefore less wasting of bandwidth.

Of course the forum would be a lot nicer to use if there was a more "complete" search engine aside from clutter and bandwidth arguments.

Not being able to search for "CPU, DDR, mobo, CAS, REG, AXP, P4, WXP etc" on a tech forum is madness!

Matt

PyroTeknik
01-27-2004, 03:22 PM
not to mention BH-5........

Karnivore
01-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Uhh, just add a wildcard BH5*, CPU*, DDR*...:eek:

matt simis
01-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Well, "uhh", if you can work around it that way, doesnt that totally negate the restriction.. couldnt it simply be removed and be done with it?

Matt

Karnivore
01-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by matt simis
Well, "uhh", if you can work around it that way, doesnt that totally negate the restriction.. couldnt it simply be removed and be done with it?

Matt

Every Vbbs based forum I know has the same minimum search string, which leads me to believe it is an unaddressed limitation of the software. The addition of a wildcard in the search string seems to work just fine. I cannot tell you why, or why not, only how you can use the search function effectively. Honestly I've never considered it a problem, and really don't now. Use it, or not, but since you CAN effectively search, I just don't see any issue with it.

Nohto
01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
I have to agree that I hate having to use the **. I think it is a pain in the A$$, even though I use it.

DrunkMonkey
02-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore
Every Vbbs based forum I know has the same minimum search string, which leads me to believe it is an unaddressed limitation of the software. The addition of a wildcard in the search string seems to work just fine. I cannot tell you why, or why not, only how you can use the search function effectively. Honestly I've never considered it a problem, and really don't now. Use it, or not, but since you CAN effectively search, I just don't see any issue with it.

Its not an issue with Abit's forum which is Vbbs based.

Karnivore
02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DrunkMonkey
Its not an issue with Abit's forum which is Vbbs based.

Well Kudos to Abit then....

JBELL
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Nohto
I have to agree that I hate having to use the **. I think it is a pain in the A$$, even though I use it.

well then let me get on it as 4 people out of 6000 are have an issue ... forget the other more important things like database security and integrity.

JBELL
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Karnivore
Well Kudos to Abit then....

once we go gold on VB3 this issue should be handled.

DrunkMonkey
02-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore Well Kudos to Abit then....

Originally posted by JBELL
well then let me get on it as 4 people out of 6000 are have an issue ... forget the other more important things like database security and integrity.

I never said I had a problem with it, I was just pointing out something I noticed. I didn't mean to make you flip out or anything. Don't take it so personally.

JBELL
02-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by DrunkMonkey
I never said I had a problem with it, I was just pointing out something I noticed. I didn't mean to make you flip out or anything. Don't take it so personally.

I see with your 3 posts you havent been around long enough to get my sense of humor... I took nothing personally.. and welcoem to the sickness..

DrunkMonkey
02-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Good, good.

Great forum btw.