PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Build cooling loop...need help!!!

gschofield
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I decided to go ahead with the Antec DF-85 case for this build. I am going with the ASUS Maximus iV extreme-Z motherboard, 2-GTX 590 GPU's(I know I would have been better off with other gpu's but I already had the one 590), and an i7-2600k cpu. I need help with the install of the EK cooling loop. I have purchased all the parts necessary to cool both the cpu and both gpu's. Does someone out there have experience with a similar build? Like maybe video, diagrams, anything. I don't have the EK stuff here so I'm not sure how the manuals they send will be, but I imagine they will be quite generic. Anyways, thanks in advance. Please don't hate. I know I am new to this and may not have the experience some of you have. Bashing my equipment choices isn't going to help. Thank you.

Utnorris
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
What do you need help with? The installation of the blocks will be covered in the manuals with the blocks, pretty detailed. Same with the CPU. Pictures of the case will be needed if you want help with routing the tubing, rad placement, res and pump placement. Should be a nice setup and I do not think anyone will bash your component selection.

gschofield
11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have looked on youtube, and on some other forums and I feel confident I will be able to install the components no problem. It will be the placement of pump(s), rads, resevoir, etc, that might be tricky for me. If there's a lot of room maybe not. There are quite a few pictures and what not out there so it might be ok. Just nervous never having done this before. I will have two rads. one two fan and one three. I would assume one will be able to mount on the back and one on top. Maybe when I get all the components and what not installed I will post some pics if I have problems. Any other tips or suggestions are definately welcome. And so far everyone on this forum has been great. On a couple of other forums I had people telling me I was crazy this, stupid that, newbie shouldn't do this or that. It was not pleasant. Needless to say that's why I'm here now! I have thick skin but I wasn't getting any answers. So far any questions I've posed here have been met with legitimate responses and suggestion. Thanks again in advance.

Utnorris
11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Read the guides in the stickies when you get time, they answer a lot of the general questions. Water cooling is pretty straight forward and as long as you take your time you should be fine. Make sure you leak test for 24 hours since this is your first build. If you are using barbs, then use clips or zip ties to secure the tubing. I always recommend straight distilled water with some sort of anti-algae agent like the stuff you get for aquariums. Match the tubing with the size of your fittings, i.e. 1/2" ID tubing with 1/2" barbs. If you are using compression fittings then match the tubing with the size of the compressions, i.e. 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing with 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD compression fittings. Res before the pump or your case the res and the pumps will be combined. From there loop order doesn't matter so go with the shortest and easiest route. Push or pull on the rads will make little difference, so go with either. Hopefully that can get you started.

Lastly, have fun with it and don't get stressed out over it.

gschofield
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks a lot. All that makes sense. The more and more I research and read the more I learn. For the first part all I am doing is the CPU. I ordered the 360 kit from EK. I have the parts to also do the gpu's but several important pieces are back ordered so I will wait to finish that. Hopefully from there it will go well. When you talk about tubing I think the EK kits come with the proper tubing, or should I buy other stuff that might work better? I would hope that all the sizes and what not will match up with what they have in the kit, but I guess we will find out. And I'm sorry for the ignorance but when you say leak test for 24 hours...what do you mean? Should I hook everything up outside of the computer beforehand? As you can see I'm green!

Utnorris
11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
The kit will have the right size tubing. As far as leak testing, once you get your loop setup, fill it up and run it without power to the MB or anything else. You can use a separate PSU to power the pumps to bleed it and make sure you have no leaks. If you do not have a second PSu to do that, you can short the PSU to power on when not connected to the MB. It should be in the guides. I use toilet paper around the fittings and such just in case there is a leak. Hand tighten all your fittings, no need to use any tools. When cutting the tubing, try to get a clean cut so it sits flush on the barb.

gschofield
11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
awesome, thanks for the tips. I've also ordered the equipment to cool the gpu's. Some of the main components are back ordered for a while so it won't be able to be done for a few weeks. Is it ok for me to go ahead and do the cpu loop with the idea of adding the gpu's later?

Utnorris
11-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Sure, no reason not too. If you get Koolance quick disconnects then you can add in the GPU's without draining the system if you plan it right, but otherwise it wouldn't be hard to add the GPU's.

JoeM
11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
As Utnorris said on the subject of leak testing, you can look for videos/guides on "hot wiring" your PSU. For example, Check out Part 3 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331). Most modern PSU's have one green wire, which is the PS_ON lead. You want to short that with any black wire (ground). A common method is to stick a paper clip in the molex connector at each lead. That will turn on the PSU to power your pump without running power to all of your components. So if there is a leak, you can find it without spilling water or some other coolant all over your stuff. If you're like me, I didn't want to jam a paper clip into my real PSU, so I ripped a crappy PSU out of an old Dell. However, it had no green wire (thanks for non-standard wiring there Dell), so I had to hunt down the pinout diagram for it to figure out which lead to short out.

gschofield
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Sure, no reason not too. If you get Koolance quick disconnects then you can add in the GPU's without draining the system if you plan it right, but otherwise it wouldn't be hard to add the GPU's.

Ok, where would be the best place to buy the Koolance quick disconnects? I never even thought about draining the system when it comes time to add the gpu's. :eek:

I will try to find the disconnects. Sounds easier and safer.

and thanks Joe M for the tips on hot wiring my PSU. I actually happen to have an old Dell sitting in my basement. That PSU should suffice. I am now gonna go search for the quick disconnects. Thanks again everyone for the help. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Conumdrum
11-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Disconnects are really big, you will be surprised. Draining a loop? Redoing tubing? Heck thats done ALL the time. You'll be draining and filling with new liquid every 6 months and taking every WC part out once a year for a full on cleaning. If you value your stuff, that is.

So don't fret the disconnects, no need really. Put a drain at the bottom.

And might want to read lots here also. 20-30 hours of research you should be fine..........

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3