PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu installation on a windows 7 machine

sram
10-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I downloaded Ubuntu to install it on my machine, which currently has windows 7. I want to dual boot of course. It became clear to me that Ubuntu made it too easy for such a thing. However, I had a problem. When you start the installation and choose you want to install Ubuntu alongside windows, the installation doesn't detect my main drive which is a Raid 0 array. I have two velociraptors in RAID 0 and that's where I want to put Ubuntu on. The space is more than enough for two OS's. It also doesn't give me the option to load a driver or something like that.

Is there a way? I can install Ubuntu in one of my storage drives, but that's not what I want.

See sig for system details.

Thanks.

desnudopenguino
10-30-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if Ubuntu can resize the ntfs partition that windows is on... At least in all the dual boot installs I've done, you have to have separate space for both OS's. This means you will probably have to erase Win7, then install it again (after making a partition for it that is NOT the full disk size), then install Ubuntu and GRUB (to select between the two OS's). This link should have all the info you need for the install.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Scubar
10-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Have you tried Wubi ? this might help it detect and install correctly on your RAID array.