PDA

View Full Version : Planning new builds? get your HDD's now

OldChap
10-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Reading here and elsewhere it seems that the flooding in areas where manufacturers build HDD's is already having an effect on HDD availability with some retailers putting up prices and limiting the number that may be purchased in a single transaction.

So, for those of you planning skt 2011 builds I suggest you buy now and save cost and headaches

example link: http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/10/21/2224201/retailers-respond-to-hdd-squeeze-by-limiting-purchases-raising-prices

nanoprobe
10-22-2011, 04:09 AM
WOW. Didn't take long for that slashdot thread to turn into a p1$$1ing contest. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.:up:

kik
10-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Some stores in Sweden have already increased prices by up to 40%.

OldChap
10-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Scan uk was £39 a few weeks back now £57 for a spinpoint f3 1TB

Bobsama
10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
50% increases at Newegg. Samsung F4 2TB is up from $75-80 shipped to $110+shipping and limit=1.

nanoprobe
10-22-2011, 08:34 AM
50% increases at Newegg. Samsung F4 2TB is up from $75-80 shipped to $110+shipping and limit=1.
Price gouging at its' finest.

Gamekiller
10-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Price gouging at its' finest.

Supply and demand. It's how the world works. :D

nanoprobe
10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Supply and demand. It's how the world works. :D
I know but I'd be willing to bet that they've had these in stock at the original price to them and are charging more because they can and there are enough desperate people willing to pay the price. JMHO. Now I know why I stock up on the specials. :yepp:

Otis11
10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I know but I'd be willing to bet that they've had these in stock at the original price to them and are charging more because they can and there are enough desperate people willing to pay the price. JMHO. Now I know why I stock up on the specials. :yepp:

But at the same time when prices start dropping they'll have to drop the prices of the disks they bought at the higher prices. It's not the price they paid that matters, it's the current going rate.

Not that I like it, but it's economics. :shrug:

Bobsama
10-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I know but I'd be willing to bet that they've had these in stock at the original price to them and are charging more because they can and there are enough desperate people willing to pay the price. JMHO. Now I know why I stock up on the specials. :yepp:Not quite (yet). Demand is the same, supply is the same. It'll take a few days to a few weeks until Americans see an actual decrease in supply. Right now, it's the perception of limited supply that led to the price increases. Hell, Samsung's fabs and factories are typically in South Korea--not Thailand. Their hard drive division could make a pretty penny if they could keep manufacturing in volume.

At the moment, it's just Newegg/NCIX/anyone who's price gouging for extra profits.

Origin_Unknown
10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
But at the same time when prices start dropping they'll have to drop the prices of the disks they bought at the higher prices. It's not the price they paid that matters, it's the current going rate.

Not that I like it, but it's economics. :shrug:

try telling that to the oil industry.. crude goes up, prices instantly go up... crude goes down, prices slowly trickle down
the same will happen here with the hdds / cameras / etc etc

calith
10-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Thought i'd update this thread http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/26/us-thailand-floods-electronics-idUSTRE79P2P420111026
Manufacturing to restart in january at the earliest.
Prices have gone up again this week at scan.co.uk 1TB HDD up from £38 to £96.
cheapest HDD on their site is a 250GB for £72.
crosses fingers my hdd dosent die:shakes:

WFO
10-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I wish I'd seen this thread when you originally posted OC! I've been scarfing up 3T Hitachi HDs as quickly as I can afford them. I planned to buy 2 more last week. They were still available at their bargain price of $125-$130 as of Wednesday last week. I wanted to wait till Friday as that was payday and I didn't want to dig into my savings. Newegg jacked the price up to $229. I was able to get 1 at Micro Center for $150. They would not sell me 2. :rolleyes: