PDA

View Full Version : Best 30 inch IPS monitor?

Computurd
09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I know this is a vauge question, but i am looking for feedback on this, i am leaning towards this monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=224-9949

of course there will be gaming involved and the jump to IPS is intriguing to me, is it worth it?

and if so, which monitor would you choose?

squishee
09-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I have an older dell 30 ill sell you

stevecs
09-29-2011, 04:04 AM
The Dell monitor I believe has a built in scalar so it will be slightly slower (assuming you're using it on a computer and don't need the scalar). the HP Z30w does not have one (meaning you have to have a video card that will do that for you/output 2560x1600). Both from a picture quality should be the same after calibration.

lutjens
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM
The NEC LCD3090WQXi and it's successor PA301W (largely the same thing with better connectivity options) are the best monitors around IMHO. High quality, dead to rights reliable, with superb color quality. The 4 year warranty is very valuable as well, considering the monitor is the component that hangs around the longest.

Computurd
10-01-2011, 09:32 AM
well that one is outta my price range! really anything over 1500 is gonna be over my price.

Really what i was looking for was any type of debate about whether IPS is good for gaming, etc. Upon reading extensively for a few days though i see that this will be an almost perfect solution for my price range.

unless anybody knows any better models in the 30 inch range...i know a bunch of guys here have 30 in monitors..,what do you use?

Vicey
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I've had experience with a whole bunch of the Dell 30" models. I've personally owned two 3007WFP-HC's and a 3008WFP. They are really excellent monitors great colours I've never noticed any ghosting while using the monitors for anything including movies or games.

The only let down I have with these newer models like the 3008WFP and the U3011 is that when you change inputs like from DVI to Display Port or to HDMI it takes a long time for it to do that. Similarly when you first turn the monitors on it takes a long time for them to negotiate the connection with the computer. I believe this is due to the extra chips included as they have a built in scaler and OSD while the older 3007WFP and 3007WFP-HC do not. But in the complaints department this isn't really a big deal once the monitors are on they look fantastic.

I currently have three of the Dell 30" and I use NVIDIA Surround. I would say if I was going to get monitors today I'd not get the 30" and instead I'd go with the 27" 2560x1400 monitors. Higher DPI, 16:9 instead of 16:10, thinner bezel and overall better for any kind of multi-display setup in my opinion. Dell sell these too: U2711. A friend of mine is picking up two of these for just a little bit more than a single U3011.

Computurd
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice about the long startup time. I was looking at the bezels as well, but since i can never see myself having enough coin for three, at least not in the near future, i do not fell that is an issue.

I am really partial to 16:10 so i think that will fit nicely with what i am doing. I think that by the time i could afford 3 30 inch monitors there will probably be newer models with (hopefully) slimmer bezels.

Vicey
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Glad I could help. I'm sure you'll be really happy with one of the Dell 30" monitors. I'm really happy with mine :)