PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Discoloured Blocks?

Mudgey
09-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,

I have started taking apart my system to give it a good clean before re assembly into the retail version of my cube chassis in the next few weeks, however I was wondering what the best way to remove the green powdery mess from the threads are? I have got rid of most of the greeness with the use of cotton buds but unfortunately they are just to large to tough any of it within the threads. What is the best way to clean out the powdery gunk in the threads?

I have attached some images of the mess we are talking about:

Conumdrum
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Toothbrush. Fits in G1/4 thread holes, twist.

If not, cut the toothbrush

Holy_COW
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Holy ***! my eyes!!

mlwood37
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
that looks like some Fluid XP nano fluid.

CrazyNutz
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Looks like you may want to talk to EK about replacing your blocks. Your nickle plating has come off like so many others have.

BTW what were you running in your loop?

Mudgey
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I have sent off the RMA form to EK. I did not take any shots of the Mosfet blocks which have no nickle issues at all but they are only covered in green.. I used distilled water, feser view UV dye and a anti algae fluid but I cannot remember what it was called. This took 6 months of use to get like this..

Tackleberry
09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Eggnog is not to be run in water cooling circuit!:=)

Looking at Feser's site, that dye is not to be mixed with anything else but distilled.:shakes:
Seriously, following manufacturers instructions is vital. You are dealing with chemicals, mixing them together might cause a reaction that nothing will stop it.

I wonder why people keep ignoring instructions. What is next? Someone filling it with high octane gas?:confused:
Waiting for Darwin award in this field:D

paulbagz
09-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Was the dye originally that colour?!

-PB

mlwood37
09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
F!!!!!! Me. that did that to you Loop ..... :eek:

Jesus can i have the recipe as it seems like one hell of a paint stripper .....

Mudgey
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't jump the gun tackleberry, it didnt have any instructions on the bottle, I bought it 2nd hand off of ebay as some had been used, so perhaps the previous owner put it into a smaller bottle or something, saying that I will be checking the instructions on the next lot of dye purchased!

Yea the dye was pretty much that green and looked awesome when it was all set up.

Tackleberry
09-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't jump the gun tackleberry, it didnt have any instructions on the bottle, I bought it 2nd hand off of ebay as some had been used, so perhaps the previous owner put it into a smaller bottle or something, saying that I will be checking the instructions on the next lot of dye purchased!

Yea the dye was pretty much that green and looked awesome when it was all set up.

LOL...so you do not even know what you used?
It might be an acid as well or some kind of a solvent.
Just saying....be more carefull when playing with chemicals. No harm intended.

Tackleberry
09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
F!!!!!! Me. that did that to you Loop ..... :eek:

Jesus can i have the recipe as it seems like one hell of a paint stripper .....
You know a good way round these dyes etc....
What is your pro opinion on this?
What could make turn color and stick it to surface?

Mudgey
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
yea I did at the time, it was advertised as 'insert name here' but i have forgotten and the bottle has no label on it.

Ive also noticed that on all the blocks with corrosion it has only happened where water has got between the Nickel and the top, where it is fully exposed to the water there are no issues...

Tackleberry
09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
The more I look at the first photography the more I like it:)
Without top it looks like some leftover from vulcanic erruption.
I wonder what would I get with micro photos style:D

mlwood37
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
You know a good way round these dyes etc....
What is your pro opinion on this?
What could make turn color and stick it to surface?

I have no clue. i really don't every thing i have tested from Extreme acid PH test to extreme alkaline tests and Inhibitor tests and mental biocide tests has never done any thing like that. This is the worst ive seen a liquid do to date (apart from a few years back).

Honislty i don't have a clue of any thing you can by for water cooled PCs that will strip that much off a system in such a short period of time. God knows what he was sold but i bet it wasn't just some dye from fesser. I have tested all of fesser's gear and never once have i seen it do that.

Mudgey - noticed your in the UK any chance you have any of the fluid left so i can get a sample off you. Ill pay for you to send it to me.

Tackleberry
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Mayhem FTW
+rep for self initiative

Church
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
These pics are something :)
First impression - your kid thrown yellow water soluble paint in reservoir :)

B NEGATIVE
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow!! Do not want!

mlwood37
09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Mudgey Sent me the liquids to have a quick check over.

First off 1 drop of Feser UV Green in Ultra Pure water.

The PH of the Ultra pure H20 was 7.2 before we started and 0.01 Us and 0.05 PPM @ 15.5c (the Test meters auto calibrate to temperature variations)

2 drops of feser into 250ml of water

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/848/dscf8741.jpg

8.7 Ph

we then increase the drops to 8 drops and the PH went to 9.1 how ever don't ask me why the pictures look all fuzzy so no point uploading ... (we will have to re do all of them again)

So then we tested the Us and PPM of the liquids

Us @ 16.9c = 230Us - (there has to be more than just dye in this feser mix as there is no way it should be so high just after 8 drops)

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2773/dscf8748l.jpg

Then the PPM

PPM @ 152 ( this makes the liquid become conducive)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2325/dscf8750p.jpg

The pink stuff is Xerex it seems to me to be well out of date.

Im going to send the Feser up to my friend at Newcastle uni and find out why its done it. Im not going to test it out on my blocks as there is no way i can afford to lose blocks.

I cannot remark on my personal thoughts on this but ill send you a pm once i get the full results back.

this were just quick tests done with Ultra Pure H20 that was tested before hand so that we got clean results.
The meters were calibrated with 3,7 and 10 PH solutions and a 240 PPM solution.

@Mudgey - Is this all you used in you loop because that pink stuff is Zerex. I know the bottle is from Over-clock.co.uk Before they closed and will be at least 2 to 3 years old. All so if my thinking is correct it is a anti freeze and possibly could have caused this to your plating. If the plating was all ready lifted in some places to could has made the situation worse. All so from my past experience with this Xerex it looks washed out and should be more pink. All so if i remember to you shouldn't use it with a dye as it makes the dyes go all funny. Whom ever sold you this combination needs shooting.

All so the dye looks out of date and looks misty.
Mick

CrazyNutz
09-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh my, That Feser crap is nasty stuff! Am I reading this right? 2 drops raises the pH to 87:shocked:

Buckeye
09-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Good to see the test results you have done. Thanks !

Lesson learned here, don't buy dyes from eBay ! and follow the directions on the bottle !

mlwood37
09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
we used a few more drops and it went to PH 9.1 how ever like i say though i reckon the fluids are all out of date. They should have not been sold onto him like this.

You cannot blame feser for this as the guy doesn't know the date on them and who has tampered with them. This is not feser's fault.

i understand a lot of ppl don't like feser but people cannot keep doing the blame game when it comes to things like this. Its a chemical in-balance and with out all the facts present (wich they are not) no one can be laid to fault.

1) all the samples ive been sent are out of date
2) Who knows if they have been tampered with
3) Can mixing of two out of date products have caused this (yes its very possible)
4) was the coating on the blocks at fault (not sure yet)

The xerex and UV dye was picked up this afternoon and ill get results back some time next week when my mate can sneak them in for a test.

before i forget.

Mudgey please pm me you address and ill send some pre-mix down for you. Will all so need what colour you would like as well. Its been well tested on the EK blocks both old plating and new plating with no problems found. This will help get over the problems you have had with out having to fork out more money :).

CrazyNutz
09-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh I was not aware the fluid was second hand and may have been tampered with. That being said I'm curious if a new bottle of Feser would have the same or similar results.

NaeKuh
09-25-2011, 09:45 AM
wow did u use fluid XP or something.

i havent seen anything coat like that since i tore down a fluid XP loop.

Warm water with toothbrush..

is my 2 cents... however its going to be very hard getting that ruber back on that top plexi.. so if u can clean it without removing the top lid, its a bigger win for you.

mlwood37
09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
NaeKuh you need to re read the whole tread again mate lol. I think you've totally missed what is going on here.

Tackleberry
09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Good job as always Mick:up: