PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Preview

Judaeus Apella
09-11-2011, 02:43 AM
I officially hate Win8 after watching this. :mad: I was going to wait for it and skip Vista and 7... but I hate this so much, I'm just going to get 7.... or ask for it for christmas. It looks like a damn smartphone interface! This is just wrong. Does anyone actually like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

halofanman
09-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Looks like a great interface for tablets, but as far as PC's go this would be HORRIBLE. I'm sure the PC version of this doesn't look like that at all.

[XC] Oj101
09-11-2011, 03:17 AM
That video has been posted before, if you watch the full clip you'll see that the interface is for phones and tablets, with the classic Windows interface as we know it for PCs.

MattiasNYC
09-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Oj101;4946920']That video has been posted before, if you watch the full clip you'll see that the interface is for phones and tablets, with the classic Windows interface as we know it for PCs.

It's not just for phones and tablets, but also lap/desktops.

I for one am all for it. I think it's great that they make the PC more user friendly. Having the option of looking at a desktop for file management when my work requires it, and a much easier "touch-experience" when I don't need it is great I think.

desnudopenguino
09-17-2011, 11:04 PM
One of my friends has the beta, and like most have posted, it's got a nice touch interface, but can also be switched to a classic style view. Being in school for HCI and UX, I see where they are coming from, and I really like the approach they are taking in making one OS that runs on anything (unlike Apple with separate iOS and OSX, though I have heard Apple wanting to move everything to iOS... but that's a rumor... i think... or hope. bah what do I care?). It goes a long way to create a familiarity with devices and interfaces. the MS start menu was eons behind Apple's dock with the applications folder (well it has gotten better, but it's still got some growing to do). Both are moving towards a more mobile, light weight, cloud based operating system though. One thing you must remember is that there are more smart phone users than desktop users in the world, and touch screen interaction is on the rise in a big way (though I say this as I type from my old PS/2 keyboard set up with dvorak keys and view on my 2x23" monitors). Paradigms are changing in the computer world. Heck there are still people who prefer a CLI over a GUI. I used to be one of those people, and I still am for a few things, but that doesn't mean that the stuff coming out that's new is bad, it is different, and like anything else that is different, it takes some getting used to. Maybe I'll build a VM with it, and let you know how it goes!

desnudopenguino
09-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Ok, so after downloading and installing, there is a desktop. The OS loads to the "start" (the big screen that they showed a lot in the video is this screen) menu which is the big touch screen interface, but there is a desktop "space" (each of the icons or areas are called spaces on the start menu). So after you boot, you click the desktop space and it takes you to a slightly changed win7 desktop. You can spend your entire time in the desktop if you want. You can also launch applications from their start menu space. One cool thing is that if you have a MS Live account, you can set that up to be your account on the computer, and I've heard that you can set it up to sync multiple machines on multiple platforms through your account.

Windows 8 Developer Preview (http://www.windows8news.com/downloads/?did=16)

Guide for installing Win8 on VirtualBox (http://www.sysprobs.com/guide-install-windows-8-virtualbox)

VirtualBox Download (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)

Download it and install it and give it a try!

nickbaldwin86
09-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Not sure I am a fan of W8

from what little I have seen and played with I think it is a great mobile platform but just not sure for a desktop/workstation.

Judaeus Apella
09-19-2011, 08:07 AM
For a phone or a tablet it would be great, but this would suck on a desktop. I'd rather get 7 and wait for 9.

desnudopenguino
09-19-2011, 08:50 AM
*cue Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a-Changin'"* ...but besides the point that most people only need a tablet or a smart phone for all of their computing needs, you should remember this is JUST the pre-alpha (meaning there is a lot more to be done before it's even ready for beta), and I'm sure that MS will include settings to run it as just a desktop environment without all the touch-fanciness. They just released this to wow people a little and probably gain a little ground since Apple released Lion not too long ago. This isn't even a RC, so what you see, you may not get in the end.

I would expect Windows 9 to be an even more mobile accessible OS than 8, as that is the current trend with computing. Why have a desktop when you can do most of your work on a tablet or your phone?

I know I'm probably rubbing you the wrong way with this, but most people are not serious gamers, power users, or hardware enthusiasts as we are here, and being a business, MS will work to please the majority, especially trying to gain some market against Apple (remember... it all comes down to the money).

Also, you can add an app to win8 to bring back the classic start menu:
http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-classic-start-menu-in-windows-8-with-windows-8-start-menu-toggle/

Judaeus Apella
09-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Well I'd rather stick a pencil in my leg than use a smart phone OS on a desktop, I'm sorry but that's just retarded. I don't care if the times are changing, there's no reason for that.

Buckeye
09-19-2011, 09:26 AM
One click and your on the desk top and its pretty much like Win 7.
Simple Reg tweak and you don't see the Metro interface.

Judaeus Apella
09-19-2011, 09:51 AM
But will the desktop interface have just as much put into it as the metro interface, thats what I want to know.

Buckeye
09-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Who knows really at this point. It still needs a lot of work imo, drivers need fixing etc. The final way it installs could change also so you don't install Metro, who knows.

I also like the way it gets connected right into Windows Live right at install, not that I use it all that much at this point. But Live has Cloud services built right into it.

I can just see a MS version of Google+, Facebook getting built right into Live next.

For people like my wife Metro works very well for her. For me I just disable it.

The store button can have a lot of possibilities also, but MS has done something like that before ? not sure how well that worked tho.

It's juts a little different is all. People complained a lot about Vista/Win 7 and look where we are now. Win 7 is pretty much main stream. But at this point I see no need to upgrade to Win 8 when it comes out unless it does stuff a lot better then Win 7 that is.

desnudopenguino
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
So far it's working great for getting 1 core and 2 gigs of ram... I've been able to watch high def video and get libreoffice installed, and prime95 it for about 30 min. If you have the hardware to play with it, I would suggest it!

MikeB12
09-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm satisfied with win7x64.. I've had almost zero problems compared to all the previous MS os's...

I'll probably do a W8 machine, but I'm not really into dking around with betas when w7 sp1 has been so stable and fast on my ssd machines...
I'll wait for the guinea pigs to get it bugged, reported and updated...

Ket
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
As far as desktops go W8 = Fail. Hard.

Judaeus Apella
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Don't you mean DEbugged Mike?

halofanman
09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
has anyone here tried the windows 8 developer preview?

Dr_Swizz
09-21-2011, 04:06 AM
Yes, I have tried it.
I am not impressed by the new Metro UI. On the desktop Metro is at best a fancy toy, at worst it a horrible nuisance that prevents you from using the computers the way need to.
Other than that it seems to be rather similar to Win7. It is not 100% stable and all applications does not work properly with it.

Ket
09-21-2011, 06:07 AM
I've used it a few times at a friends. Absolutely horrible. Looks like MS are keeping true to their cycle, Win95 good > Win98 bad > Win98SE good > WinME bad > WinXP good > Vista terrible > Win7 good > Win8... abysmal.

Judaeus Apella
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Lol!

shoota
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Abysmal is a pretty strong word for something that isn't finished yet, that essentially has an app built on top of a great OS (Win 7), and that hasn't had time to develop yet. I think maybe you have the "Jump to Conclusions Mat" from Office Space :)

desnudopenguino
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
8 is reported to run natively on ARM cpus as well as x86 (and x64)... This means they probably have to build the OS from the ground up, not just add features for a sliiightly different chip arch.

Of course it's going to have bugs. it's a developer's PREVIEW... it's not even an ALPHA, which comes before BETA, which is where developers generally release software to be tested by the users (such as win 7 RC). They just wanted to show a PoC at a conference, and let people play with it. It's going to be terrible for a while. I wouldn't worry about that until the RC becomes available. Maybe some of us should wait until that time comes instead of expecting a full-blown, fully functional OS in the alpha stage.

I for one welcome a change to a part of the interface, and some innovation in the OS. The start menu as it is is still a terrible list of folders, applications, and other stuff that isn't used most of the time (unchanged since... oh '95). The only time I use it is to shut down, or open some application that I rarely use, as most of them are on my quick launch bar (the last innovative thing MS has done with their desktop interface IMO).

I just don't see why there would be a strong opinion one way or the other at this point in time, it's like asking for a sweet computer (such as one of the many awesome custom builds on this site), then showing up 40 mins into the build and saying "what a piece of crap... I don't want this!"

...But haters gon' hate.

Judaeus Apella
09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
That's right haters gonna hate! What I got out of that video was thats what they're planning as the main interface, the desktop interface. That's what I have a problem with. It better not be!!

El Mano
09-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Good DX12 or fail, FAILFAILFAIL