PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Plumber Tape?

traveler
09-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I thought I saw plumber tape as a recommended item to use with fittings. But I can't find that source now. So I'll just ask.

Does anyone use plumber tape when attaching fittings to a radiator, pump top, reservior, flow meter, etc.?

:cool:

zanzabar
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
dont do that, plumbers tape is for support not sealing.

Raul-7
09-11-2011, 01:26 AM
dont do that, plumbers tape is for support not sealing.

It was definitely designed to make a proper seal in threaded applications. Threaded fittings usually do not make perfect seals and hence the need for teflon tape or pipe dope.

One of my fittings wasn't make a proper seal on the radiator port, applied some teflon tape and never looked back.

paulbagz
09-11-2011, 03:48 AM
+1 Raul-7

-PB

TJ TRICHEESE
09-11-2011, 04:18 AM
i seem to remember somewhere seeing that it was a bad idea, fittings shoud not need teflon tape, if they do send them back

CrazyNutz
09-11-2011, 05:56 AM
The seal is the o-ring on the fittings. This is all that is needed.

jollyjoker
09-11-2011, 06:15 AM
The seal is the o-ring on the fittings. This is all that is needed.
+1
This is what i have always heard.

Vicey
09-11-2011, 06:23 AM
You shouldn't need to use tape if your fittings are working correctly. If it's leaking after being tightened then the o-ring has most likely failed to do its job.

I've seen some build videos on youtube where tape was used and I still feel it is unnecessary and a waste of time. Besides if any of that tape comes off in your loop during the tightening of a barb it could get stuck in the pump mechanism or something I guess?

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Teflon tape is not a "bad idea." Metal fittings and metal radiators will work just fine with teflon tape or liquid teflon sealant.

However, it is not for use with fittings with an o-ring seal. The teflon could bunch up and interfere with the o-ring seal. However, I am getting the impression that he is not using fittings with an o-ring.....

Kayin
09-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Teflon tape is for fittings without an integral o-ring seal and whose threads are tapered. As such, it is generally incompatible with liquid cooling, as our fittings are parallel (1/4" BSPP, or British Standard Parallel Pipe.) Older liquid cooling parts may still have tapered threads, and as such teflon tape is used with them.

Church
09-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Imho very distantly i might understand usage of plumber tape in metallic components, as in plastic LC components imho it's easy to crack them because of extra thickness of thread+tape. But even there why for, if there is O-ring for sealing? Just because in plumbing they often use such?

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 09:27 AM
BSPP doesn't require a threaded sealant because it also uses another type of sealant.

However, if that sealant, be it a compression ring or an o-ring isn't present, then a thread sealant is necessary.

But with all of the o-ring sealed fittings, it pretty much makes any of this irrelevant anyways. So we're really just talking semantics.... Get an o-ring fitting and no teflon needed.

zanzabar
09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
It was definitely designed to make a proper seal in threaded applications. Threaded fittings usually do not make perfect seals and hence the need for teflon tape or pipe dope.

One of my fittings wasn't make a proper seal on the radiator port, applied some teflon tape and never looked back.

2 things,

1st teflon tape is for uses when u have no o-rinds, when u have orings the only thing teflon tape will do is get disloged and go into the system over time, the o-ring seals so u dont need it. teflon tape also only works properly on tapered fittings/tasps, we dont use those with liquid cooling (there are some swiftech parts like the mcw30 but dont use teflon on that they use special plastic fittings or u get adapters and they are long threads.)

2nd, teflon tape is not plumbers tape, this is http://i55.tinypic.com/2qxte93.jpg

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Actually, Zanzabar, Teflon tape is frequently referred to as plumber's tape. Since nobody can use stainless steel plumber's tape as a sealant, its pretty obvious that it is not being referenced here. Below is just one example.

Teflon tape doesn't work so well on parallel threads, but given the lack of a compression seal on a parallel thread, pipe dope indeed does work. But you are correct, nobody uses tapered threads in WC because everything is speced to BSPP. And like you said, and we all know, they all use o-rings negating the need for any sealant.

Personally, if no o-ring is present, I prefer the liquid Teflon sealant. BSPP plumbing usually uses a compression seal hence the lack of requirement for teflon tape. However, you have to be careful to chose a proper sealant.... Plastic fittings may be lubricated by certain seals leading to over torquing and unnecessary stress.

TJ TRICHEESE
09-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Teflon tape is not a "bad idea." Metal fittings and metal radiators will work just fine with teflon tape or liquid teflon sealant.

I never said it wouldn't work with metal, but no modern watercooling parts that require teflon.

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I never said it wouldn't work with metal, but no modern watercooling parts that require teflon.

Come on, read the rest of my post. Its pretty obvious that I am aware that o-ring fittings are the trend of the market today. ;)

All I was saying is that if he was using fittings without o-rings that were still BSPP (like certain older but still BSPP plastic fittings), then teflon tape would be fine. I agree that the metal fittings these days that fit into the WC application do not require teflon. I did in fact stress that in all of my posts. ;)

P.S. I never said you were wrong. I was offering up a circumstance where a sealant would be warranted.

zanzabar
09-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually, Zanzabar, Teflon tape is frequently referred to as plumber's tape. Since nobody can use stainless steel plumber's tape as a sealant, its pretty obvious that it is not being referenced here. Below is just one example.

Teflon tape doesn't work so well on parallel threads, but given the lack of a compression seal on a parallel thread, pipe dope indeed does work. But you are correct, nobody uses tapered threads in WC because everything is speced to BSPP. And like you said, and we all know, they all use o-rings negating the need for any sealant.

Personally, if no o-ring is present, I prefer the liquid Teflon sealant. BSPP plumbing usually uses a compression seal hence the lack of requirement for teflon tape. However, you have to be careful to chose a proper sealant.... Plastic fittings may be lubricated by certain seals leading to over torquing and unnecessary stress.

i know what he meant but teflon tape is not plumbers tape and it should not be called such, plumbers tape was a brand name of the metal support tape thats used for pipe support. teflon tape is thread sealer tape or submersible thread tape or submersible sealer tape.

its like calling dsub vga but even more annoying since teflon tape is called plumbers tape by people who dont work with it, but then plumbers tape is only called plumbers tape, and its not like u would even use teflon tape when plumbing something as to do it all properly it should be tinned (soldered) and any external fittings should not need it since u use malleable fittings on the copper or galvanized (or if u hate your work pvc with glue.)

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I know you didn't think that steel tape could be a sealant, I was just being a wise guy. :p: Maybe I didn't make that apparent enough....

Anyways, both of them are referred to as plumbers tape as I've learned, but as I've looked into it I have found that you are dead ............................................ RIGHT! :D The metal stuff is more properly called plumber's tape...

I honestly didn't know they called that stuff plumbers tape before looking it up, and every time I've used it I didn't even pay attention to that. I've always called it metal strapping, and Teflon Tape by its name.....Teflon....but still. A little bit astray from the subject, but when running gas lines you use Teflon. I've done it plenty of times. Teflon seal failure is much easier and safer to repair. I could go on, but that would be going too far off subject.

TJ TRICHEESE
09-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Come on, read the rest of my post. Its pretty obvious that I am aware that o-ring fittings are the trend of the market today. ;)

All I was saying is that if he was using fittings without o-rings that were still BSPP (like certain older but still BSPP plastic fittings), then teflon tape would be fine. I agree that the metal fittings these days that fit into the WC application do not require teflon. I did in fact stress that in all of my posts. ;)

P.S. I never said you were wrong. I was offering up a circumstance where a sealant would be warranted.

Read the bold in my post clearly we are talking about watercooling as the section is "Liquid Cooling" so the first part of the post i quoted (not in this post) is completely irrelevant. Yes teflon tape has its uses but they are not to do with liquid cooling (which again we are clearly talking about)

Stewie007
09-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Read the bold in my post clearly we are talking about watercooling as the section is "Liquid Cooling" so the first part of the post i quoted (not in this post) is completely irrelevant. Yes teflon tape has its uses but they are not to do with liquid cooling (which again we are clearly talking about)

Again, I don't see any problem in offering up a circumstance where a sealant would be necessary.

As I said, you are correct, water cooling today doesn't make much use of fittings without o-rings or other said types of fittings today.

But they still exist, and threads can be imperfect. My logic is sound, why would somebody ask knowing that an o-ring is already there. Noob? Maybe, but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knew that an o-ring was the sealant and thus could have been using those plastic UV fittings.

paulbagz
09-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I used teflon tape on my fittings only ever on the bottom of my Swiftech Micro-Res as it had been used so much that the plastic threading on the res need a bit of extra grip.

-PB

voigts
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm reading this trying to figure out why all of the drama here. Teflon tape (often referred to as thread tape) is used for tapered metal to metal fittings, which is what is used most of the time for plumbing for a variety of reasons. The thread tape isn't so much for sealing the joint as it is for lubricating the threads while tightening them so that you can get a very tight fit. For tapered plastic to plastic fittings, RTV silicone sealant is the thing to use. If you have an o-ring in a fitting, you have a straight threaded (BSPP) fitting and should not use thread tape. A properly installed oring will seal and last for a long time.

traveler
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you everbody for your responses and discussions. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

All replies are appreciated.

Seems this thread has turned into the definitive thread on teflon tape.

O rings are the things then.

:cool:

traveler
09-11-2011, 08:24 PM
While on the subject of o rings, should (or could with no ill effects) the o rings be sprayed with silicon spray to help preserve them and give them longer life with no cracking? I assume all o rings are made of rubber.

???

Captain_Harlock
09-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Not all O rings are made alike. Some of the best (in regards to watercooling), are made by Viton (mainly used by bitspower), and others are by dupont. Those make up the majority of the o rings sold in pcwater cooling, but there are a few others. But between them there are some that are made with simple ubber, others that are special teflon mixes, and others that are more exotic. So unless you know exactly which one you have then no, dont dope the o ring. Just trust the o rings that come with your fittings. Thats what leak tests are for. I have yet to se an o ring in water cooling dry out in water cooling. Had quite a few get mangled from too much torqe, but thats another problem all together. Besides, coating them just leads to adding fowling to your coolant.

zanzabar
09-12-2011, 12:50 AM
While on the subject of o rings, should (or could with no ill effects) the o rings be sprayed with silicon spray to help preserve them and give them longer life with no cracking? I assume all o rings are made of rubber.

???

dont use silicon use petroleum jelly, but for the most part u just need to not over tighten them and get them damp before u install the barb

TJ TRICHEESE
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Not all O rings are made alike. Some of the best (in regards to watercooling), are made by Viton (mainly used by bitspower), and others are by dupont. Those make up the majority of the o rings sold in pcwater cooling, but there are a few others. But between them there are some that are made with simple ubber, others that are special teflon mixes, and others that are more exotic. So unless you know exactly which one you have then no, dont dope the o ring. Just trust the o rings that come with your fittings. Thats what leak tests are for. I have yet to se an o ring in water cooling dry out in water cooling. Had quite a few get mangled from too much torqe, but thats another problem all together. Besides, coating them just leads to adding fowling to your coolant.

+1 the o-rings should be fine with no additional treatment

ryan92084
09-12-2011, 10:47 AM
duck tape vs duct tape anyone? about as equally relevant to the OP

CrazyNutz
09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
just need to not over tighten them and get them damp before u install the barb

+1 dampen them, and do not over tighten

voigts
09-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I usually give my o-rings a light coating of white petroleum jelly just for extra good measure.

zanzabar
09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
duck tape vs duct tape anyone? about as equally relevant to the OP

that one is different though, the USMC called it duck tap during WW2 (were it got used to seal amo boxes but it also got the rep as the do everything tape), and then there was the duck tape brand of duct tape that had ducks on it. also i dont think that there was already a duck tape, like something to attach some ducks to a sled and have them fly u around.

/troll

Stewie007
09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I would recommend something like Parker Super Lube or another bona fide o-ring lube.

Petroleum Jelly can break down the rubber in the o-ring.

*shields himself from onslaught*

GMdoubleG
09-13-2011, 11:59 PM
What is the purpose of dampening the O-ring before tightening the fitting? Is that so the O-ring will grab the metal as it gets tightened down? Also, I have two older fittings that do not have recessed O-rings, how do I know when to stop tightening? Twist until I see the O-ring flare out just a bit then back off a hair?

GMdoubleG
09-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Also, from my experience, if you choose to use tephlon tape, be cautious not to use too much. I did on one build and the fittings kept unscrewing anytime I moved the case in the slightest.