PDA

View Full Version : Do pumps need additional cooling?

Odai
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I'm currently designing a case for water cooling systems, and am trying to figure out the best way to have pumps installed.

At the moment, the best overall design for the case involves having the pumps in what is basically a completely closed box. No openings whatsoever, except for tubing holes - which are filled by grommets. And that means no ventilation.

This raises an important question. Do pumps need any additional active cooling, aside from the flow of water inside them? I am aware of certain issues with the Laing DDC line of pumps that necessitate the use of air cooling (or at least ventilation), but are there any other pumps out there that are similar? Or are most pumps used in our systems good to operate without any such cooling?

I'd greatly appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,

Odai.

Conumdrum
09-09-2011, 07:34 PM
The bottom of the 350/355 35x pumps need to have a space for the heat to dissipate on the pump bottom. No active cooling is needed. The heat from the pump is transferred to the liquid, but it's a small amount. A sealed box with no airflow? Hmmm........

Theroretically, a box with insulation with a pump inside 'could' get hot. Might impact a pump's life. Even any airflow is fine, but some might be good. :cool:

Stewie007
09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
As Conumdrum said, its really a small heat load from the pump and active cooling isn't typically needed.

But can you not add some ventilation?

zulu9812
09-10-2011, 01:16 AM
My DDC melted, so yes I would say that pumps need additional cooling.

bmaverick
09-10-2011, 09:10 AM
The bottom of the 350/355 35x pumps need to have a space for the heat to dissipate on the pump bottom. No active cooling is needed.

No true for the MCP-350 pump. No need for a spacer nor a pump heat-sink on the 350. It runs 12VDC at a mere 10W. The other DDC pumps are rated much higher for power wattage and can generate up to 100C heat when under load in a loop. Martin's Lab results on pump heat have shown this in the past few months.

My DDC melted, so yes I would say that pumps need additional cooling.

Must have been one of the MCP35* types. Koolance sells a pump bottom heat-sink that works well. Or, if you have an older P4 north-bridge heat-sink, the pump would do fine.

A MCP350 (DDC-1) with a performance top hits the sweet spot for performance and lower heat generated.