PDA

View Full Version : plexi-glass

water_cooler 20
01-25-2004, 08:59 AM
i want to build a pleix or lexan glass case for my water chiller to go in but would it be possible to make one with out a Dremel or cutting broad of any type

lalPOOO
01-25-2004, 10:20 PM
You can make one without a dremel. You have a couple options in that case, the best 2 imho would be the break method, where you score and snap the plexi, and using a jigsaw. You'd probably also need a drill/drill press.

chilly1
01-25-2004, 10:53 PM
The score method for plexi and lexan are the accepted methods of cutting for window companies but it will sometimes leave an un even edge...

lalPOOO
01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
You can fix that edge by using a file, sandpaper or from what I've heard you can melt them a bit and they'll become nice and smooth.

(if you're using sand paper, try 220 and then 400 with wet sanding ;) .)

lutjens
01-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Be forewarned though...

To properly finish the edge of raw plexiglas take lots of time and patience, filing and then sanding (hours). Once finished, you can use a hot plate to melt the plexiglas and form it as desired.

To cut it, usually a bandsaw works best, if one is available. A jigsaw also works well, if you can clamp it down properly.:)

lalPOOO
01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Hours? what planet are you from? :P

I guess it depends on the size of the peice, but generally a filing and then 100-220-400 grit sanding does it and that might take an hour at max...

lutjens
01-31-2004, 11:16 PM
I don't do it anymore, but it took quite a while to get it looking perfect. Little nicks or imperfections aren't acceptable to me. It has to be perfect. I usually worked on lucite myself, and it looked really good when done.

danrok
02-01-2004, 06:54 AM
To cut plastics use a jig saw with a blade suitable for cutting plastic. Then sand the edges using an orbital sander with variable speed. You can then polish the edges using a benchmounted polisher.

If you can't get hold of the power tools - do it by hand with a hack saw, sand paper wrapped round a small block of wood and polish with a cotton rag.