PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do to buy all that hardware?

badatgames18
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Some of you guys bin chips like crazy... (i've only had 8 2600ks ever... some have one each week it seems like) they're pretty expensive.

what are your jobs? I'd like to know since i might be graduating college 1 year early if i take a summer semester. (math major with cs minor :))

Kayin
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm retired from IT (disabled) and I write and I'm a stay-at-home dad. I still have enough contacts left over to get me something every now and then, and I'm really good at getting others' mistakes to work for me.

Never had a 2600k. Still rockin' my 860.

stangracin3
09-03-2011, 07:50 PM
broke college student that is good at fixing others failures like kayin

Maximous
09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I work as a roughneck in Norway. Havent binned any cpus but have two 2600k. Bought one retail and then bought a confirmed 5570mhz cpu. Want a better one so maybe ill buy two more if the batch is promissing:)

zanzabar
09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
and what do u do that u could have $2400 worth of them (im just curious since u asked.)

i know alot of people on the forum will bench then return parts over and over again (or that used to be common):down:

badatgames18
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
and what do u do that u could have $2400 worth of them (im just curious since u asked.)

i know alot of people on the forum will bench then return parts over and over again (or that used to be common):down:

this will sound bad but... my parents are the ones fitting the bill

but once i graduate (if i don't go straight to grad school) i'll have to pay for everything

So they binn the chip, and if it's no good, they return it for replacement?

EDIT: i should explicate... i get an allowance from my parents monthly.. instead of going out to buy tons of beer and food, i use it to get hardware and ramen noodles

CedricFP
09-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Those binners you mention, they resell their chips a lot too. Helps to bridge the gap.

halofanman
09-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I work in an RV, with Walter White, aka Heisenberg :up:

Lu(ky
09-04-2011, 03:31 AM
I work in an RV, with Walter White, aka Heisenberg :up:

Hey do you have any BLUE SKY for me to buy... Or do I have to go to POLLO drive thru?

I usually just watch here or other forums on the BATCH NUMBERS and call a couple friends and MICROCENTER to look through the boxes for me if they find a good batch number "GEM" I usually give them a $20.00 for there troubles. But I do see your point there are guys with RACKS full of them, and I am also curious on how they test them so quickly on water or air etc.. I would love to see a video of it..

M.Beier
09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I have had 1x i7-2600K, it sucks, and I still have the chip... 5288mhz 1.683v.

I dont think many people RETURN used hardware, that is NOT acceptable... Epecially not if bench is the purpose. Some co-operate with stores, and the chips are used in computers build by the store after.

But most buy, and sell...
*AND SOME buy as company (minus VAT), and sell without receipt, meaning barely lost any cach, if not earned..... Likely earned since the money have not been taxed or VAT paid.

TJ TRICHEESE
09-04-2011, 11:18 AM
i've only had 8 2600ks ever

Consider yourself lucky, I have to work for my money... and the pay isn't that great. (I am also a student)