PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Recommendation

vegettoxp
09-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Hello there Guys, how is everyone doing? It has been a while since I built my last system and lately my iner voice is telling me to start to plan my next rig. The only problem is that I just got married last year, so I need to spend money wisley. As you can see from my Signature
I have a alreat 3-4 year old system and I wanted to get your recommendations to which way I should go. I am not going all out and build my system from the beginnig, just change the main parts, please share your thoughts slash recommendations, Thank You!

Things I want to Upgrade:

Processor (Current - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 at 3.2GHz)
Motherboard (Current - Asus Maximus Formula SE Motherboard)
Ram - (Current - 8GB G-Skills DDR2)
Video Card (Current -Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card) Change Maybe!
Hard Drive (Current - 4 WD Hard-Drivers Total Storage 2.4TB) (Will Change One of them to SSD)

Please Share your thoughts?

Josh :yepp:

Source
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Weird double posts these day.

Source
09-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Please state what you plan to do with the system; how do you use it and what for.
Second, the budget; how much is 'spending wisely'.

And to be honest, I think you got quite the system here.
Why upgrade? What do you miss?

Would at least keep the 5850, that's not even 2 years old.
8GB is even above average, only advantage you could have while upgrading, is DDR3.
Asus Formula serie is very nice, going to overclock the QX9770?
QX9770 did cost a rib and an eye (did go around €1200 in The Netherlands), you run it on stock, did you try overclocking?
Think you can squeeze quite a bit out of it with a decent cooler.

So that comes to the question why are you upgrading :P
You could just throw a Crucial or Intel SSD in there and overclock the hell out of that QX9770.

Erklat
09-01-2011, 11:25 AM
You could just throw a Crucial or Intel SSD in there and overclock the hell out of that QX9770.

This. Throw a Samsung 470, M4 or Intel 320 in there and spend your money on your spouse. ;)
Plenty of computation power still in that rag.

vegettoxp
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Thank for the input guys. I am one of those guys who looks at his Rig and say it's too old. You are right, there isn't whole alot of problems with the current system, all it needs is a SSD, but I was thinking since I don't play to build from start, I can just update some componets and will be good for some time.

Well the main usage of this systen is Video Editing, Photoshop and most of my hardcore work that my work laptops can't handle. All those extra cores come in handy big time when it come to doing alots of converting and rendering.

Processor Currently Interested (Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge)
Motherboard - Asus of course (Not Sure Which One Yet)
System Ram - Upgrade of course
Graphic Card - Not looking to upgrade as of now
Hard Drive - Upgrade Still thinking

Money wise - if my guess is correct it should be around $1000 or less.

Josh

vegettoxp
09-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Well guys the reason all this started to come into my head is because it looks like my Graphic Card is taking a dump. Not sure what happened, but I have Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card hooked up to my Samsung 46" (HDMI) and running at the 1920 Res, it looks jacked up. I have Reseated the Card, Reinstalld latest drivers and even plugged into another machine, for whatever reason the resoulation is jacked up, can't see the items clearly.

This is why I have this idea to update my system, your thoughts?

zanzabar
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
you need to fix the overscan settings or use dsub or dvi to connect it. its in CCC (or AVECC now). though since u have a samsung they are normally non 1920x1080 but 1080p for NTSC with overscan so u dont normally need to change the settings unless u have a good panel from a few years ago when they made good stuf (or u have ntsc overscan with edge cuts.) but find the overscan settings and fix it.

i would look to get a new card latter when the next ones are out since u are not outdated as the real hd6 was supposed to be on the 32nm but TSMC could not make it work so they had to skip it and tweak the hd5 to make the hd6.

vegettoxp
09-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Well I have gone over all the setting even the overscan, but still the same problem. I have the Direct HDMI Connection from PC to TV. I even tried DVI to HDMI wire and still no go. I have installed the latest drivers, my current res is 1920 x 1080 (recommended). I thought the OS is screwed up, but when I was about to Reinstall OS, even the Win 7 Setup Screen looks messed up. I am going to pickup another card today and see if the card is the issue.

And regarding the system update, I am going to wait for Intel ivybridge next year and then think about updating my current system. Also what SSD would you guys recommend for my current system setup?

Thanks All

Source
09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Crucial, specially with the newest firmware.
Either Crucial or Intel (510)

EniGmA1987
09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
The screen itself is what is causing the problem. TVs should rarely be used as a monitor. It might have black bars around the whole image? Thats a scan problem with how the TV is handling the image. It probably looks really blurry? Thats just cause its a TV trying to accept an input from a computer not putting out what the TV was specifically designed for. Its also because the pixels are much more stretched than a computer monitor. You also need to calibrate Windows font settings to properly work on the TV, that will help a LOT.

Right click on desktop, select Screen Resolution. Click on "make text and other items larger or smaller". Then you should calibrate the color (on the far left) and afterward adjust the ClearType text.

vegettoxp
09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
The screen itself is what is causing the problem. TVs should rarely be used as a monitor. It might have black bars around the whole image? Thats a scan problem with how the TV is handling the image. It probably looks really blurry? Thats just cause its a TV trying to accept an input from a computer not putting out what the TV was specifically designed for. Its also because the pixels are much more stretched than a computer monitor. You also need to calibrate Windows font settings to properly work on the TV, that will help a LOT.

Right click on desktop, select Screen Resolution. Click on "make text and other items larger or smaller". Then you should calibreate the color (on the far left) and afterward adjust the ClearType text.

I have never seen this issue before and I had this setup done for a while now. I get Full Image on Screen an running at the Max 1900 x 1080 Res and no Black bars. I will try out your recommendation, but at the same time I am going to pickup another card just incase and all work, I will return the card. Thanks for the input!

Josh