PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Cube Case

Mudgey
08-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Hey guys,

This is the 2nd revision of cube case I am currently building up:

The idea was to build a cube case that can take thick radiators with fans either side, I have been able to incorporate a triple, a dual and a single radiator. The case will also have room for 6x mechanical hdd's and 4x SSD's. The SSD's are located under the motherboard in two double drive holders. The case also must be exceptional for cable management, I have put a lot of thought into this (and am still doing so to get it right). Every wire needs to be fixed to the chassis or if longer than 7-8" and so there are captive nuts in place for most possible installations, the captive nuts will allow you to use P-CLips to secure the wiring. I also wanted to include under motherboard cooling by using a slim 120mm fan which is positioned right behind the CPU socket. The case also has as the same number of intake fans as it does exhaust to maximise the flow through the case.

Aesthetically I wanted the case to be constructed using black countersunk screws to give a clean and smooth look. The case is countersunk for M3 machine screws for construction and 6-32" machine screws for radiator attachment. The case uses bitspower grills all round, I believe these are the best looking grils around and am pleased to be able to use these on the cases.

It is by no means complete yet, since putting the system together there are a number of things I would like to change for the next revision:

1. Add some extra captive nuts to route some wiring that I had missed during the design phase.
2. Redesign hdd cages so that they attach to fans, this gives more options and the design I have in mind allows multiple pumps and reservoirs to be attached the same way.
3. I am in two minds as to move the on/off button and front utility panel onto a 5th drive bay, this will allow users to buy the following:
a) On/Off
b) On/Off + Utility Panel
c) On/Off + Reset + LED Lights On/Off
d) Any combination of the above

Adding the utility panel as an option reduces the cost quite considerably and could be purchased as an option later down the road.

Anyway please take a look at the images so far and any constructive criticism is welcome. Many thanks!

aerial
08-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Reminds me of this: http://www.mountainmods.com/maximumpc-dream-machine-2010-p-593.html

Or other variation of U2-UFO.

For me ideal case of this type, should have optional inverted atx. So front should be symmetrical, for instance if you wanted to put motherboard to the other chamber (and then flip rear panel).
I think inverted atx with window, is usually better, since if you have only your desk (limited space), and one screen, there is usually more space on the left side, right side of the desk is taken by mousepad. That surprises me, why so few cases on market with windows are inverted atx.

But overall your case looks very nice, clean and simple.

LowRun
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Looks good but black screws needed.

lowfat
08-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I am honestly not a fan of cube cases. Just wanted to say the flushed fan grills are a nice touch.

Stealth42o
08-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Looks good but black screws needed.
:up:

the flushed fan grills are a nice touch.

mav2000
08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Looking very good. I like the design and I am a fan of cubed cases ever since I saw the M8. I would think a dual 360 should be possible right?

Mudgey
08-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the good feedback, I have given a free prototype case to my friend who has been invaluable for bouncing ideas off & for helping massage the design/specification to where we are currently, he is also a keen photographer and we should have some great shots of the case inside and out within the next week or so. This case should stand out (from other cubes) due to its sleeker look, fantastic cable management & excellent solid construction. The side panels make no noticeable difference to case rigidity.

The cube is also very compact and the dimensions are:

(w) 384 x (d) 420 x (h) 440mm inc feet.

The case can only take the following radiatos: 1x triple, 1x dual, 2x single 120's

jackies
08-28-2011, 05:23 AM
I like this type of cases, I was thinking of one like that myself!
(though I found myself a server case and is good for now)
Very functional, looks a little bland though, could use some "design" elements perhaps?
Maybe borrow some ideas from modern furniture or something?
Or something industrial? Military?

Mudgey
08-28-2011, 05:39 AM
It all depends what your after tbh, as I have gotten older (well 25 is old to some!) my tastes in computer cases and builds have changed. I have gone from liking the look of outrageous in your face designs and builds to subtle understated styling that looks tidy and clean which is what I have tried to put into this design.

Mudgey
08-28-2011, 08:46 AM
The pictures came much faster than I was anticipating:

jackies
08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
It all depends what your after tbh, as I have gotten older (well 25 is old to some!) my tastes in computer cases and builds have changed.
I hear you man!
;)
I'm still reasonably young (almost 40) so in my view, when you have a piece of technology in your room, it's not just there to serve it's purpose, but also an aesthetic statement of sorts. Not that I'm trying to say that there's anything wrong with your design, I'm just saying that you have the function part figured out and put together rather well, you could also spice it up a bit with some decoration. The window, for instance, is a decoration.
Just sayin...

miahallen
08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice work...I love it :up:

CedricFP
08-28-2011, 02:01 PM
That case looks great. Loving the way you've done the front panel.

gmat
08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Very good job. Reminds me of my former Yeong Yang cube (from years ago), more modern with cable management and those front ports... I guess there arent many ways of doing a cube case are they. I like the sleek looks too, just get black screws already ;) (got a lot of them from Modelfixings in UK)

Mudgey
08-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the good feedback! The screws in the 2nd lot of pictures are all black, they are just more reflective but do not stand out much in real life.

I am currently working on revision 3 to include a USB3.0 utility panel as the original one I bought are not available any longer. The case has had a few cable management tweaks althou I still have the fan wiring to work out. The have decided upon the design of hdd cage and am going to get that drawn tongiht hopefully.

Expect to see a revision 3 cube in the coming weeks, with some nice fully built interior shots also :)

Mudgey
08-31-2011, 11:14 AM
A build in the rev2 case:

It seems that distilled water with Feser View Active UV Dye stains very quickly, the system was drained after only 5-6 months of useage. I am going to have fun cleaning that, I also noticed the EK blocks have started to lose their Nickel plating...

More parts are arriving tomorrow which will allow me to finalise rev3 of the case and then I shall be running a batch of 5 or 10 cases to begin with. If anyone wants one with some modifications let me know as the custom parts can be put in with the first order.

Rinaun
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice case! Did you have them custom made? I might be interested in carrying them locally in San Jose if I can get my hands on 5-10 ;D

vhaarr
09-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Oh man this case will be fantastic!

mlwood37
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
were about are you in the uk mate.

PatRaceTin
09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
it look great

Mudgey
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,

I shall have 5x std ATX cases and 3x iATX cases ready in approximately 2 weeks time. I am building up an iATX case for myself for a photoshoot and for when BF3 is out :) so will only have 2x iATX cases sellable. These options will also be available:

1. Fan Mounted 3x hdd cage with quick release thumbscrews to allow the whole hdd cage to be slid out.
2. Own design of bay covers.
3. Double SSD cage that fits on motherboard side.
4. Triple SSD cage that fits on motherboard side.
5. Solid side panels.
6. Window side panels.
7. Solid top panel.
8. Windowed top panel.

The price of the case will probably end up circa £320 inc VAT (£266.56, $413USD w/o VAT), however the price will start at approx £280 and you shall chose how many HDD/SSD cages & window panels etc. There is no point selling the case with all these options as standard as not everybody is going to use them and I don't want to charge people for parts they may not use.

The case will be supplied with rollerball feet, 7x Grills, & 1 or 2 switches depending on model. Currently I have not found a supplier for the Utility panel so you will have to find one of those lian li utility panels locally for the iATX cases.

Here are some renderings of the iATX case:

Martinm210
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Beatuful design!
Just curious, is water jet cutting used for cutting or something else?

Mudgey
09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the compliments, the case is fully laser cut with all the outside panels being cut from 2mm alu sheet, the internals are 1.5mm and the back panel is 1mm just so the folds can be tight with no gaps. I have spent a lot of time getting the panel fitment just right. The case is super strong with gussets in each corner, and a central panel. The case can be handled without the side panels in place with no worry of movement even when fully built up inside.

Mudgey
10-02-2011, 10:15 AM
My mate has pretty much finished assembling his cube, its looking good!

OC Maximus
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Very cool Mudgy :up:

Kvickstick
10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
I love that case! I would love to get my hands on one <3 Would look slick with black screws and slightly tinted side window. Is it possible to buy!?

mlwood37
10-02-2011, 03:37 PM
this case is really coming along well. Well done i love the looks and simplicity.

Mudgey
10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
More updates:

A friends reivision 2 case fully built, looks awesome!

Please note that the 2nd rev hdd cages (for the rev 3) are fan mounted instead of floor mounted & come with a captive thumbscrew type release system so they can slot in place, this is required due to the svelt dimensions of this cube chassis!

k0k0
10-20-2011, 05:28 AM
excelent.

mp!