PDA

View Full Version : Help 420mm or 360mm Performance?

shadowman007
08-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a Xigmatek Elysium PC Case which can take either a 360mm Radiator with 120mm fans or a 420mm Radiator with 140mm fans. I will be doing a push/pull config with the fans which will be a total of 6 fans. But my question is if i go with the 420mm Radiator will I see any increase in performance? is it worth going for it? I will be cooling my cpu which is a i7 990x overclocked to 4.5GHz.

musicfan
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
A 140.3 radiator has about the same surface area as a 120.4. So, with all else equal, a larger surface area you should give better heat dissipation. Having said that, it is easier to find better 120mm fans than 140mm fans. Good luck. :)

shazza
08-21-2011, 08:34 AM
You need to do some research on performance of different radiators - check out the info/guides sticky and the links given in the other thread you started.

In general (and there are always exceptions) - you can get as good or better performance with the 120mm rads - due primarily to having more options for fan choice.

Also, check out something like the eXtreme PSU Calculator (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp) to determine what your actual cooling requirements are going to be with your system.

We're not being difficult - it's just hard to tell you for sure what setup is going to get you to your goal. There are lots of variables involved - like how much noise you can handle, what other components will be in the loop, etc.

Like I suggested in the first thread - a good place to start is to look for other builds with the i7 990x - see what performance others are getting, and go from there.

Conumdrum
08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Shadow, you need this link.
Shadow, there are MANY different rads with MANY different charecteristics. It ain't that simple. If you want simple to cool your CPU, buy a new H100. It's like the Ronco cooker, "Set it and forget it!"

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

bundymania
08-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Go for an Aquacomputer Airplex Revolution, so you can mount 120mm or 140mm fans. The rad itself has the 420 size and it fits in your case