PDA

View Full Version : Problems after installing EK 6970 waterblock

Drako12
08-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Hi everyone,

on sunday i installed an EK 6970 block on my 6950, nothing went wrong, little distilled water spilled on it but i put a fan on it together with the leak test (everything off but the pump and 6 fans), also we had around 10-20% humidity these days.

After 24 hours and no leaks i decided to turn it on. But i got no video at all, tried many things and nothing happened. So i took the block off and put it on the original case again, it turned on but with many screen errors (strange chars, lines, color line).

I opened it again and cleaned the paste a little bit but no change.. the connector was also very dirty, i just cleaned but i cant test it now because im at work, i will test when i get home, im also gonna clean the board with isopropyl alcohol.

Could this have happened because i applied too much (or too little) pressure with the screws?

Anyone got any ideias what might have happened and also how to fix it?

Tackleberry
08-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, with stock fan you also encounter problems?

Drako12
08-16-2011, 05:38 AM
i kinda figure out what happened..

i followed a video i saw on youtube to install the block, now i looked for instructions again and found a pdf from EK website (i looked before for instructions on its website but didnt found quickly enough) and i saw i didnt install the thermalpads (used thermalpaste instead) and didnt put the standoffs. I didnt know they came with because all my watercooling stuff was mixed inside a bag. I feel so stupid...

since the im still getting video, hopefully the card still can be fixed, but i lost warranty when i opened, right?

Tackleberry
08-16-2011, 06:04 AM

i followed a video i saw on youtube to install the block, now i looked for instructions again and found a pdf from EK website (i looked before for instructions on its website but didnt found quickly enough) and i saw i didnt install the thermalpads (used thermalpaste instead) and didnt put the standoffs. I didnt know they came with because all my watercooling stuff was mixed inside a bag. I feel so stupid...

since the im still getting video, hopefully the card still can be fixed, but i lost warranty when i opened, right?

LOL for installation part.
Too bad for warranty part. Probably it's gone, unless you made sure the warranty seal is still in place.

Drako12
08-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, with stock fan you also encounter problems?

with the waterblock (installed the wrong way) i wouldnt even get any video, after i changed back to the stock fan i would get the artifacts, lines, etc.

im pretty sure it overheated because i installed the wrong way, just dunno what im going to do now.. i put the stock fan again but this time i screwed very tight.. i will test it soon when i get home.

ohms
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Wow... just wow... Good luck on getting your warranty.

I'm just curious, did you read the instructions provided with the block, stand offs, thermal pads and thermal grease?

Drako12
08-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow... just wow... Good luck on getting your warranty.

I'm just curious, did you read the instructions provided with the block, stand offs, thermal pads and thermal grease?

i live in brazil, i sent the block to a friend that was in USA couple months ago, when i picked the block (and other stuff) with him, he had already taken everything out of the box so he could fit everything in his bag, he might have forgotten the manuals or it never came with. The EK website kinda sucks, i only found the pdfs with instructions using google, but i really thought the video was ok after i saw it and didnt even think.

2 things might have happened because of this bad installation.

- BGAs are broken and needs new soldering (lack of the standoffs might have applied too much pressure and broken them)

- Chips are still overheating because thermalpads from the original case are not in very good condition

I can get video 100% of the time now using the original case, but i still get many artifacts and it will bsod if i try to go into windows. Today i will try to build it again on the block the proper way, with the standoffs and thermalpads. If i still get the artifacts i will assume the BGA is broken and will try to find someone to solder them again. But not before trying to RMA it (which i really doubt it will happen, since i opened the original case).

Cannyone
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah the EK website does kinda suck... Not sure why they don't make it more accessible?

An sorry to hear about your problems!

tiborrr
08-18-2011, 02:11 AM
The EK website kinda sucks, i only found the pdfs with instructions using google, but i really thought the video was ok after i saw it and didnt even think.
There's an installation manual button next to every item in the store.
e.g.: FC6970:

http://file.si/pfiles/197350/Untitled.jpg

Also, there was instruction manual enclosed with the waterblock.

Drako12
08-19-2011, 07:02 AM
There's an installation manual button next to every item in the store.
e.g.: FC6970:

http://file.si/pfiles/197350/Untitled.jpg

Also, there was instruction manual enclosed with the waterblock.

already explained why i didnt had the manual that came with and the website sucks, all manuals should be under support and/or products.. not the online store..

when i searched for instructions i went to the website, clicked support and found nothing, clicked produtcs, nothing.. then i googled for inscructions, found a video and followed it.

Kibbler
08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
I hope you can get it to work.

If not, I honestly hope you reconsider the RMA and just buy a replacement. It sucks that something went wrong, I sympathize totally. It would suck more if some company has to absorb an RMA because of your mistakes, frankly.

leo_bsb
08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry for your mistake, I'm sure you will never do it again.
I just bought a 6970 and EK block. If you need any help PM'me, I live in Brasilia.

Drako12
09-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm sorry for your mistake, I'm sure you will never do it again.
I just bought a 6970 and EK block. If you need any help PM'me, I live in Brasilia.

I live in brasilia too, wanna buy my gpu block?

I RMA the board, they accepted and sent a new one back, but its non-reference one, now i have to sell my block and get a non-reference (actually 2, im bulding a CF).

you gotta love XFX, they have one the best RMA.