PDA

View Full Version : MCP-35X squeak noise

toots
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
My fairly new (2 months old) MCP-35x pump has started to make a weird squeak sound like a dry bearing noise. Anyone have this happen with theirs? For $90 pump I would expect it to last some time before this happen. :(

gabe
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
check for air in your loop. If unsure....
Swiftech has excellent customer support ;-) - I'll be available tomorrow (10:00 to 7 Pacific time)..

Gabe

toots
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I've got mcr220 res, I don't see any air bubbles in the tubes or reservoir tank. It's more noisy at low speed under 45%.

Stewie007
08-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Do you have any elbows or restrictions before the inlet of the pump? Sometimes this can starve the pump causing an air pocket to form inside the impeller housing. Because of the nature of the rotational forces, the air would move itself toward the center where the ceramic shafts and washers are located, hence you squeaking noise.

I remember once on my Little Giant Pump, I was testing the loop and I heard squeaking. I took the pump apart and found some scarring on the impeller and the housing. Turns out I forgot to replace the o-ring once when I took it apart causing the close clearance parts to rub, hehe. But that would be conditional on your having taken it apart. So...... :)

toots
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Do you have any elbows or restrictions before the inlet of the pump?

Nah there's no elbow just straight out of rad into the pump which is at lowest point in the loop. It's seems to only do it for about ten minutes or so at first bootup then goes away. Maybe there's a bubble getting in I don't see how though maybe from the reservoir tank? :shrug:

Stewie007
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
That may be your problem. The optimal method of feeding your pump is through the reservoir. It ensures that the pump will have a constant supply of water.

zeropluszero
08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
if you're using a modded top (and i wouldnt confess on this forum) you may have tightened the screws too much, and id suggest loosening them slightly, but leak testing it out of the loop to ensure this doesnt create leaks.

Stewie007
08-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes! And that could lead to the possibility of the impeller scraping the housing if the o-ring is over-compressed...... (or missing as I suggested earlier) :)

Missing seems unlikely, but my pump didn't actually leak when I tested it.... I know, strange.

toots
08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
I haven't put on a modded top or anything, the stock pump works great the way it is.

That may be your problem. The optimal method of feeding your pump is through the reservoir. It ensures that the pump will have a constant supply of water.

My rad is a mcr220res which has a water reservoir on the top. Then it's straight to the pump form there, downhill a bit to the lowest point in the water loop.

Anyways the noise has gone it must had a pocket of air stuck inside the pump housing. Maybe a different reservoir would help?

Stewie007
08-23-2011, 08:09 PM
If the bubble has worked its way out then you should be fine, assuming that is what it was.

I would just keep my ears open for it to return. If it doesn't return then I wouldn't worry. :)