PDA

View Full Version : Need some assistance - RP-452X2 and a lot of restriction

Jytra
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
So, I was hoping that I'd have a build log instead of a cry for help, but I'm running into some issues, and having lurked this forum for a while, someone might be able to help!

Anyway, a few months ago, I had to re-build my entire watercooling loop because of some corrosion issues, as well as being an idiot and using dye, which effectively stained every component in my system. Additionally, my motherboard decided to up and stop working, so, with my system down and out, I set about rebuilding the whole thing.

Here's what parts I've got:

-Hardware-
1x Corsair 800D modified with lower radiator and Koolance 480 shroud at the top
1x EVGA Classified 3 Mobo
1x Intel i7-980x
12GB (4GBx3) Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 w/ AirFlow fan
1x Corsair 120 Force GT SSD
2x WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD
1x WD Caviar Black 2TB
3x EVGA 580 GTX 3GB
1x Auzentech X-Fi HTHD (which I might sell)

-WC Loop-
(Tubing and parts are for 3/8 ID, 5/8 OD)
1x SR-1 480 Rad (Top)
1x SR-1 240 Rad (Bottom)
1x Koolance RP-452X2 v1.2 w/ Serial Kit installed
2x Koolance 450S
6x Kaze GT15 fans
5x Koolance QDC VL3N (10 parts total if you separate out the male and female headers)
1x CTR-SPD24X2 Pump Controller
1x Koolance TMS-205
1x Koolance INS-FM17N Flowmeter
1x Koolance 10 ohm Temp Probe (for fluid temp)
1x Koolance CPU-370
1x EK Classified Full-Board block (replaced under warranty)
3x EK 5X0 GPU Block
1x EK TRIPLE Serial Bridge
8x Bitspower Compression fitting, 3/8ID, 1/4 Thread
4x Bitspower 45 Degree Compression fitting
2x Koolance Compression fitting (for Flowmeter)

Which, all together, looks like this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9883/2011080920493976.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/2011080920493976.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

So, as you can see, there's a ton of stuff going on inside my modified 800D. Here's how the loop is set up:

P1 Out > QDC > SR-1 240 > QDC > EK GPU "Array" (3x 5X0 blocks attached to serial bridge) > QDC > SR-1 480 > QDC > CPU-370 > EK-FB > QDC > P2 In

What I was aiming for with this loop was to make future upgrades easy with the QDC fittings, turning most of the computer modular (save for the Motherboard and CPU block, given that the 980/990X are the highest-end chips you can get for it), but after turning it on for the first time, I started noticing some problems.

First and foremost, the pump noise, which you can find here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQkU3wCsaHc). This has been my primary concern over the past few days, and I've been emailing Koolance back and forth with all sorts of questions. I've run the pump dry to make sure it wasn't something damaged with the pump itself, but that test came up clear. I've shaken my case in all directions, and even let it run overnight on it's side, but that didn't seem to change much. I've tried refilling the loop a few times, with the res at all odd angles, and I've tried Martin's suggestion of cycling the pump at full power, but still nothing. I then reattached the pump to the 452X2, and connected it to just my first Rad (So, P1 Out > 240 > P2 In), which resulted in a substantial drop in volume, but the buzzing was still there at the higher end of the pump controller's dial. After letting that run overnight, and noticing that the noise level was almost completely gone (again, save for the high-end), I reattached it to my entire loop, and turned it back on at the same level I had let run the previous night. The noise was back, just like before.

So today, I decided to hook up the TMS-205 to a laptop to check the values coming from the flowmeter and other information coming from the pump's tach line, and discovered that my flowrate is a heck of a lot lower than I had expected. With both dials set to their lowest value, I get about .72-80 GPM. As I start to increase the voltage, the flow goes up, but the buzzing begins at around the .80-88 GPM mark. If I try to go higher, the buzzing becomes incredibly loud, and at maximum power, which sounds like the pump is about to become unhinged, I only see 1.15 GPM.

Koolance keeps telling me that it's an air pocket trapped in the pump itself, but I'm starting to question if it isn't something caused by the 452X2 res and how it has the pumps run in series, given the level of restriction I have in the system. I guess if anyone has any suggestions on what I should try next, I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the QDCs in the loop, and I've thought about swapping a few of them with their threaded versions to reduce the number of fittings, but if that's causing too much restriction, I'll remove them.

the_dope_chaud
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I've run the pump dry to make sure it wasn't something damaged with the pump itself, but that test came up clear.

:eek: :eek: :eek: After that, your pump may be damaged and might explain some of the noise. Never run pumps dry, they were not designed to run without liquid.

Jytra
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: After that, your pump may be damaged and might explain some of the noise. Never run pumps dry, they were not designed to run without liquid.

Actually, I was worried about the same thing, but the suggestion came from Koolance's tech support. The pump had just been pulled from the filled 452X2, and still had some water in it, and only ran for a few moments.

Still, the pump ran silent when not installed, even at 24v. The noise seems to appear once everything is connected.

Sent from my DROID X2