PDA

View Full Version : XP prob.

Smizack
01-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Ok, I've ran XP Pro now for over 6 months, and it for the most part ran great. So I'm in a prog. this weekend and all the sudden I get a BSOD that says: Blah blah... Couldn't do something... Blah blah... Physical memory dump....Blah blah blah.... so I reboot, and it has killed my theme, and everything I had on my desktop... Ok, so that's just a little wierd. I did some various stuff, backed up some Acid songs, rebooted and my theme was back!! WHoooo! so I go take a shower while it defrags. I get back and my background pic is gone, and fraking stupid ass WinXP deleted around 2.6 Gigs of stuff... I don't know what yet, but it's gone.
So I'm now thinking it's time to go to Win2k... Or freakin linux!

JBELL
01-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Linux is tricky!! sorry bout your losss but the physical memory dump .. sounds like your NT kernal freaked out - prolly copying a lot of huge files at that time perhaps? Anyways 2K PRO is sweet - prolly the best of all the OS's and remember how I use to swera up and down about how great WinME was??

...anyways ALL WIntel machines suck in my opion and my next rig is full Linux - That would be my recomendation to you - have 2KPRO on one rig and build a cheap smaller one to learn Linux with.

Joe

Smizack
01-07-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by JBell
Linux is tricky!! sorry bout your losss but the physical memory dump .. sounds like your NT kernal freaked out - prolly copying a lot of huge files at that time perhaps? Anyways 2K PRO is sweet - prolly the best of all the OS's and remember how I use to swera up and down about how great WinME was??

...anyways ALL WIntel machines suck in my opion and my next rig is full Linux - That would be my recomendation to you - have 2KPRO on one rig and build a cheap smaller one to learn Linux with.

Joe

Actually, I was just surfing. and downloading but none were large files. That's what I thought too, the Kernel hates me, but at least I didn't have to format, so it's not all bad. It could have been worse.
I'm looking at 2k pretty hard though...
WinME... LOL!! I said the same thing dude, untill I had it for 2 weeks and had to reinstall! I think I'm gonna set up another comp soon and put linux on it to test it out before I go balls out on it. I wanna check out Lindows though, that might be worth it, no telling.

R0BB23
01-07-2002, 09:12 PM
2kpro is the best windows os out there right now.

hopfully jbell will send mandrake 8.1 with the sound card, and ill get to play around with linux

JBELL
01-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by R0BB23
2kpro is the best windows os out there right now.

hopfully jbell will send mandrake 8.1 with the sound card, and ill get to play around with linux

why should I, I don't think you are qualified for linux!

R0BB23
01-07-2002, 09:35 PM

why should I, I don't think you are qualified for linux!

i dont think your qualified for the big boy table butt you dont see me getting in your way.:D :D :D :p

JBELL
01-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by R0BB23

i dont think your qualified for the big boy table butt you dont see me getting in your way.:D :D :D :p

LMAO

JAWS
01-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
Ok, I've ran XP Pro now for over 6 months, and it for the most part ran great. So I'm in a prog. this weekend and all the sudden I get a BSOD that says: Blah blah... Couldn't do something... Blah blah... Physical memory dump....Blah blah blah.... so I reboot, and it has killed my theme, and everything I had on my desktop... Ok, so that's just a little wierd. I did some various stuff, backed up some Acid songs, rebooted and my theme was back!! WHoooo! so I go take a shower while it defrags. I get back and my background pic is gone, and fraking stupid ass WinXP deleted around 2.6 Gigs of stuff... I don't know what yet, but it's gone.

Smizack, that sucks! I'm only on my 1st month with XP Pro! Let me knock on some wood! (I’ll be back shortly, gone :banana::banana::banana::banana: surfing) LOL)

JBELL
01-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JAWS

Smizack, that sucks! I'm only on my 1st month with XP Pro! Let me knock on some wood! (I’ll be back shortly, gone :banana::banana::banana::banana: surfing) LOL)

THANK YOU!!! ...for playing too much information, more than we wanted to know!

got a webcam? hehehehehe

JAWS
01-07-2002, 10:06 PM

got a webcam? hehehehehe

No, but I know of some good ones!

those naughty girls LOL!

JBELL
01-07-2002, 10:17 PM

No, but I know of some good ones!

those naughty girls LOL!

that one calls for a post in the ''blue'' room *ahem*

DaGooch
01-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Just like Windows 2000 Professional with 2 service packs and a third one not too far in the future, Windows XP Pro will need at least several service packs to be stable with all the unknown combinations of hardware that people use. As the majority of Information Systems Administrators say, "If it doesn't have service packs, we will not use it on Enterprise level machines.".

Smizack
01-08-2002, 07:01 AM

Well, you should have some time then, Mine lasted 6 months. Just remember to not leave anything on the desktop. It trashed it all.

Smizack
01-08-2002, 07:02 AM

that one calls for a post in the ''blue'' room *ahem*

Hey where is the Blue room???

Smizack
01-08-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
Just like Windows 2000 Professional with 2 service packs and a third one not too far in the future, Windows XP Pro will need at least several service packs to be stable with all the unknown combinations of hardware that people use. As the majority of Information Systems Administrators say, "If it doesn't have service packs, we will not use it on Enterprise level machines.".

I can understand that. But for the most part, it worked ok.

Lady_Germ
02-03-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Smizack

when Brian got XP i loved the scene n stuff but we kept on getting bloo screens...
probably a differnent problem but hey it is a problem that was solved by going back to Win2k!

Smizack
02-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Lady_Germ

when Brian got XP i loved the scene n stuff but we kept on getting bloo screens...
probably a differnent problem but hey it is a problem that was solved by going back to Win2k!

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do also, I'm just stubborn I guess...