PDA

View Full Version : Onboard sound..

M.Beier
07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Just by the title, I know half of you have pulled out a bit hair - so lets keep it up!
I am in a bit of a jam, as I only have 1x PCI-E slot on my ITX, this being occupied by a RAID controller...

The ITX hosts my server and mediecenter (something I'll make a thread about by tomorrow - had a bit time off)

So; Question is...
For music, this mainly being *.wav from CD, but occationally also lower quality; mp3 (192kbps vbr), youtube
And occationally also for movies...
I use optical cable from motherboard to my Denon receiver..

Will I be better off in any way buying some sort of external soundcard, or no point for my use?

*Mainly video sound are with by pita speaker from my monitor, so that wont matter much... mainly the music that is the concern.

Gamekiller
07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Your sound is only as good as your source (or that's what I've heard! :p:). Personally I think onboard sound is fine for you but I'm not an audiophile of any sort. :)

NKrader
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
if your using optical its just passing the digital data. sound card doesnt matter much..

if you were to get a better card and use the analog out channels thats when the card touches the music and can make it sound better and whatnot.

lol i feel like a newb becuase i use xonar.. and use digital coax.. i gotta go pickup some analog rca's soon.