PDA

View Full Version : Will Bulldozer be --

m411b
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Better than Sandy Bridge? I hate to start a war thread but, on my part, it is a serious question. I don't want to spend money on Bulldozer if it is going to fall short!

Please do not flame, I just want to know that I am making the right choice by going with AMD again after telling myself never again after Phenom. Especially when I can do a Sandy Bridge build for a reasonable price.

ASharp
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
No offense but that's a pretty silly question. There's a ton of threads speculating on this. No one can give you a straight up answer because pretty much no one knows for sure. Anyone that does know for sure can't say anything either.

m411b
07-11-2011, 02:32 PM
No offense but that's a pretty silly question. There's a ton of threads speculating on this. No one can give you a straight up answer because pretty much no one knows for sure. Anyone that does know for sure can't say anything either.

You're right! I should have searched more thoroughly before posting.

MODS PLEASE DELETE!!

spursindonesia
07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
RIGHT NOW, if you don't have the patience for Bulldozer waiting game, you just should have gone Sandybridge right away, since it was a frickin fast lil bugger of CPU and like you've said yourself, you can get if for a reasonable -for your budget- price.

LightSpeed
07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Better than Sandy Bridge? I hate to start a war thread but, on my part, it is a serious question. I don't want to spend money on Bulldozer if it is going to fall short!

Please do not flame, I just want to know that I am making the right choice by going with AMD again after telling myself never again after Phenom. Especially when I can do a Sandy Bridge build for a reasonable price.

Well, for ST tasks it will fall short of SB but in MT tasks (=>6 cores) it will most probably (hopefully) be faster. So it really depends on what you want. If you are into lightly threaded tasks just go SB now, since BD is pretty much guaranteed to be slower on that front and SB prices are reasonable enough. But if you do a lot of encoding etc, wait for BD since it might have a few tricks up its sleeves

SkullCracka
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
stop there is enough of these threads LMAO

rintamarotta
07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Yes

m411b
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
LOL! Thanks all!

duron
07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes
+1..

Particle
07-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Be wary of anyone saying with certainty that one is faster than the other at this point. As others have pointed out, we don't know.

As an aside, with the way you've phrased your OP, you should probably just go Intel. If you're negative toward AMD from a previous experience, you're probably going to tend to blame AMD for any random issues you have and go "Why did I do this? I knew better." It's a common human reaction.

kam03
07-12-2011, 07:34 AM

Just wait it out until retail chip benchmarks get out, trust me, you will be glad you did ;)

BHD
07-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Wait

Buy IVY Brigde 22nm

BD Only Low Price

Power And Performance And ..... >>> Ivy Brigde

FlanK3r
07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
or as I see here, he can wait until Steamroller from AMD, it will be better than IB.

No, stop this bull:banana::banana::banana::banana:s guys. We are in AMD section and nobody want at XS flamewar AMD vs Intel :(.

m411b
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Just wait it out until retail chip benchmarks get out, trust me, you will be glad you did ;)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna, once again! Don't get me wrong everyone. I'm by far no Intel fan, and I have always been a loyal AMD Soldier. I just don't want to be disappointed, which I think is understandable. I just see Intel numbers and sometimes get distracted by the BS. I just bought a Gigabyte UD7 in anticipation for BD. So, it would be a complete waste of money if I went the other way! A lot of my problem lies within the new board and the lack of support. I understand that it is a new part but you would think that with NEW parts that are supposed to be FAR superior to older parts, that the new parts would be READY to go before they hit the shelf. AND YES, I understand, I understand, I understand!

I've played the "Hurry up and wait" game for the last 20 years. I think I can handle another 20!

Thanks for everyone's replies and please except my apologies if I offended anyone, as this was not my intention. PLEASE, if this thread goes on, KEEP IT CLEAN!

m411b
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
As an aside, with the way you've phrased your OP, you should probably just go Intel. If you're negative toward AMD from a previous experience, you're probably going to tend to blame AMD for any random issues you have and go "Why did I do this? I knew better." It's a common human reaction.

I agree, I did phrase that kinda one sided. AMD has never really let me down. Most of it's my fault for jumping the gun, as with Phenom C2 and C3. If I had waited just a few more months, I would have landed a C3. But how was I supposed to know about C3!
This time I will wait a few months before going BD to see what happens.

Manicdan
07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree, I did phrase that kinda one sided. AMD has never really let me down. Most of it's my fault for jumping the gun, as with Phenom C2 and C3. If I had waited just a few more months, I would have landed a C3. But how was I supposed to know about C3!
This time I will wait a few months before going BD to see what happens.

if you think that is bad...
my am2+ board fried after 3+ years of use. the one i bought to replace was an 880g by asus, the very next day the 890 goes on sale and i would have picked that up instead. then a month later i find out that the 890 is also going to be BD compatible. and the best part, the board i bought i got after hours (11pm), had i waited until i woke up i would have received the 890 the same day anyway. so now i have to buy a new board for BD because i couldnt wait 10 hours, lol

kam03
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
if you think that is bad...
my am2+ board fried after 3+ years of use. the one i bought to replace was an 880g by asus, the very next day the 890 goes on sale and i would have picked that up instead. then a month later i find out that the 890 is also going to be BD compatible. and the best part, the board i bought i got after hours (11pm), had i waited until i woke up i would have received the 890 the same day anyway. so now i have to buy a new board for BD because i couldnt wait 10 hours, lol

You get 7 days to return a product, no questions asked.

Manicdan
07-12-2011, 12:02 PM

i didnt find out for a month what i really lost
and i never said where i bought it from, lol

Lightman
07-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna, once again! Don't get me wrong everyone. I'm by far no Intel fan, and I have always been a loyal AMD Soldier. I just don't want to be disappointed, which I think is understandable. I just see Intel numbers and sometimes get distracted by the BS. I just bought a Gigabyte UD7 in anticipation for BD. So, it would be a complete waste of money if I went the other way! A lot of my problem lies within the new board and the lack of support. I understand that it is a new part but you would think that with NEW parts that are supposed to be FAR superior to older parts, that the new parts would be READY to go before they hit the shelf. AND YES, I understand, I understand, I understand!

I've played the "Hurry up and wait" game for the last 20 years. I think I can handle another 20!

Thanks for everyone's replies and please except my apologies if I offended anyone, as this was not my intention. PLEASE, if this thread goes on, KEEP IT CLEAN!

What problems do you have with UD7? I have the same board and no problems here after flashing new beta BIOS. Other than you are worried about voltage drop.

m411b
07-13-2011, 07:28 AM
What problems do you have with UD7? I have the same board and no problems here after flashing new beta BIOS. Other than you are worried about voltage drop.

It's mainly the vdroop. I know it's something that is in place for BD, but with the backwards compatibility of the other chips, Gigabyte should have fixed that before releasing the boards. I'm not so sure a simple BIOS update is going to fix it correctly. Also, they put all these SATA connectors on the board and you can only run one RAID controller. You cannot use the GSATA and AMD at the same time in RAID! On my previous Gigabyte boards you could.
There are a few other small problems, but nothing close to those two. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the board's going to be great for BD! The beta BIOS did help a lot with the keyboard but not much else. I still have to use a mechanical keyboard to get into the RAID controllers. USB keyboards will NOT do it for me, boot goes right past my clicking ctrl+f or ctrl+m like I wasn't hitting it.

imamage
07-14-2011, 12:35 AM
If you urgently need a build now
Sandy Bridge is your only choice for now

Halk
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I've been watching carefully and my non-expert opinion is that AMD held back on launching Bulldozer because it wasn't yielding enough speed to compete with Sandybridge. When it launches I expect it'll be broadly speaking on a par with Sandybridge, and will cause a mid-range price shuffle. I expect it to be a shade better than Sandybridge, but really not by much. I also expect that since it needs more cores, some tasks will be slower - there's a great deal of tasks that we do that need just one core.

It remains to be seen if Intels new technology next year will be a big step forward, or just steady progress. If it is just steady progress then expect Intel and AMD to compete all the way up to the mid/high end, and Intel still to lead with the top end premium platform that offers poor value for money - in other words where money is no object (high end graphical design etc) then Intel will still have the crown.

Manicdan
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
your being too broad, cpus are very versitle now and so the question is what purpose do you consdier them to be winning or losing

max thread usage (like CB11.5)
medium thread usage (many games)
single threads (many simple application)

i doubt that BD would loose when it comes to things that use all 8 threads. thuban is around SB already in that regard, add 2 more cores and 10% ipc and your looking at something that should kill SB.
but the delays could be to get better clocks and then increase its gaming potential and single threaded performance. clock for clock we expect SB to win, so the question is how high will these things clock (for oem/stock it matters for pricing, for overclocking is where it matters to us)

rintamarotta
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM

14 days to return product here, no questions asked.