PDA

View Full Version : Danger Den MC-TDX vs Koolance 370 ...

Elmy
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
What do you think the difference in temp is between the two ?

I have the Danger Den MC-TDX with a custom UV blue top now and I have 2 Koolance 6970 waterblocks on one loop and the MC-TDX on another loop. I use a Danger Den Monsoon with a Laing Variable D5 set at 3 and 2 PA 120.2's. My GTX 480 and GTX 360 will be here tomorrow and my MM Pinnacle is in the Powder Coating shop and will be done tomorrow as well. So im gettin ready to do a tear down and rebuild over the weekend.

I looked on Skinnee's website and the MC-TDX isn't reviewed at all on there.

Thanks in advance....

Vapor
07-07-2011, 05:34 PM
MC-TDX is a dated block, but even so it's probably not more than 5-7C behind a CPU-370 on a 2600k. That's assuming good/great TIM--no idea what kind of contact the MC-TDX makes, but my guess is contact isn't great based on how it's manufactured and constructed--with a mediocre (or worse) TIM the difference could grow (in addition to the losses from the TIM being inferior).

Vapor
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Clarification of what I mean about performance difference with good TIM (like MX-2) vs. bad/mediocre TIM (generic):

Good TIM | Bad TIM
Good Block: 60C | 63C
Bad Block: 65C | 70C

Difference between the good block and the bad block with good TIM is 5C. But with bad TIM, the difference is 7C. This is because of a change in the quality of contact and how much of a role the TIM plays...part of being a good block is making good contact and minimizing the impact TIM can have.

This is just the overall trend, there are specific TIMs that don't change performance much as contact changes.

How it relates to MC-TDX vs. CPU-370 is that the CPU-370 makes the best contact of any block on the market right now and the MC-TDX, in addition to the dated internals, doesn't appear to have any features that improve the contact quality (the acrylic top almost guarantees it). So not only is it a guess in how they compare, but there is likely variance in that comparison based on TIM (and the fact that I don't know the thermals of an overclocked 2600k).

Elmy
07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm using MX-4 right now but I have Indigo Extreme for my tear down this weekend. Thanks for the info !