PDA

View Full Version : EK Water

theseeker
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I have some chemist's that have been studying my block. Unfortunately, the one thing I could not provide them with was a water sample. If any of you tear down a corroded loop, please save me a small H20 sample. I cannot report anything conclusive, but current thinking is that the copper may not have been treated (cleaned) correctly before plating.

A water sample would identify if any organics are present, which would confirm that the blocks were not cleaned correctly prior to the plating process.

NOTE: No flaming EK! I just need a sample.

Wolf132
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure it would be pretty close to impossible to determine anything from a water sample. There is to many outside variables that you have to take into account. Was the radiator cleaned before installation? Fittings? Pumps/etc. Something could have dropped into the water while you were installing... The oils from your hand could even be left on a fitting during install, and could get into the loop as well.

Kayin
07-06-2011, 11:54 AM
There are certain contaminants that wouldn't exist in the loop UNLESS they came from improperly cleaned copper.

theseeker
07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
There are certain contaminants that wouldn't exist in the loop UNLESS they came from improperly cleaned copper.

Thank you. If there are organics present prior to the plating process, the plating will not adhere properly to the copper.

Sparky
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
At first I was thinking along the lines of Wolf, how could you be sure certain contaminants didn't just come from outside sources... Then I realized that there are probably specific contaminants you're looking for.

theseeker
07-06-2011, 02:40 PM
At first I was thinking along the lines of Wolf, how could you be sure certain contaminants didn't just come from outside sources... Then I realized that there are probably specific contaminants you're looking for.

Exactly!