PDA

View Full Version : Router problems from mining?

Tom128
07-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone else encountered problems with their routers due to mining? At first I thought that mining would not generate alot of traffic, but it seems as though it can cause as much as 200KB/sec of bandwidth usage per GPU. I've had some problems the last few days where I just can't keep connected to the internet, both my wired and wireless systems. After trial and error today, it seems as though any usage on my wireless connection brings my entire router to a crawl. I've got 2 systems connected with Cat5, 2 system with wireless. I've been running the two wired systems all day without problems. The moment I turned on my miner connected via wireless, all 4 of my systems had download speeds in the <1KByte territory. I am wondering if mining has somehow burned out my router's wireless hardware. Anyone else experience this?

INFRNL
07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I have noticed some slowing and it varies, but never thought it could be related to mining. Will have to look into that.

I have noticed however that with the difficulty rate increases; I am not sure how worth it is to mine anymore. Especially with the BC value slowly dropping. I planned to sell my whopping 10 coins at $20/coin, but not looking so hot. I would just like to break even on these cards, but not looking too well atm.

ggdh
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I didn't notice any excessive network traffic. For two cards I have 3G modem and it uses maybe 100-120MB / 24 hours if not browsing.

p2501
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
What router exactly do you have?

I'm running Tomato/DD-WRT on my cheapo Buffalo routers and they are going strong, no impact due to mining whatsoever.

OldChap
07-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I see no evidence of mining pushing hard on the router.

This is a few minutes (can't remember if it is 3, 4 or 5mins) of 4 5870's @ a total of 1600+ M hash

EDIT: Doh, the graphic shows 6 minutes there in black and white

Tom128
07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
The bandwidth usage may have been a false positive, my laptop may have been downloading updates. The network usage is minimal again. However, I have re-tested twice, as soon as I turn on my miner that is connected via wireless, my entire router seems to just die.

I have a generic Linksys wireless router. It's about 4 years old, so maybe the wireless part is just aged or something. I may run and buy a longer CAT5 cable and connect my other rig that way and see if it happens again. May be a number of connections issue.

Tom128
07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Ok it has to be related to my wireless, I moved my other machine temporarily next to my router to plug it in. So far all of my machines are running fine w/o losing internet.

Now time to test if its my routers internet, or my USB wireless receiver that was the culprit.

P.S. Summer is a bad time to mine bitcoins! All of my machines are next to eachother, I am sweating with an array of fans next to me :rofl:

Jen
07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok it has to be related to my wireless, I moved my other machine temporarily next to my router to plug it in. So far all of my machines are running fine w/o losing internet.

Now time to test if its my routers internet, or my USB wireless receiver that was the culprit.

P.S. Summer is a bad time to mine bitcoins! All of my machines are next to eachother, I am sweating with an array of fans next to me :rofl:

i can imagine how hot it is in that room . lucky for me i have the basement for mine but what was once a cool basement is no more

Jen

INFRNL
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
i can imagine how hot it is in that room . lucky for me i have the basement for mine but what was once a cool basement is no more

Jen
I hear ya on that....my basement is no longer cool and I am only running 2x 5830's for mining and 1 GTX 260 for gpugrid along with 4x 56xx on 2x sr-2's. No AC in the house either; just a swamp cooler on the 4th level; small draft comes through from the cooler, but not enough:shakes: The only time its safe down there is at night:ROTF:

OldChap
07-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Tom, just for interest, put a fan on your router or put the router by a fan....just to see if this is temp related

antiacid
07-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I hear ya on that....my basement is no longer cool and I am only running 2x 5830's for mining and 1 GTX 260 for gpugrid along with 4x 56xx on 2x sr-2's. No AC in the house either; just a swamp cooler on the 4th level; small draft comes through from the cooler, but not enough:shakes: The only time its safe down there is at night:ROTF:

I'm so happy my roomie got a 14k btu AC for 150$, that's about 1cent/btu :D no moar heat in the summer :)

Tom128
07-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Tom, just for interest, put a fan on your router or put the router by a fan....just to see if this is temp related

I put a medium yate on it with the same result :(

While I can't make sense of why, it seems my wireless is just screwed up. Oh well, I will try and run my 50' cable into my front room to get internet in there. Lord knows throwing two extra 5830's into my office isn't making the summer any colder in there!