PDA

View Full Version : Users with corroded EK Nickel blocks: any damage to loops?

Odai
06-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Hello,

I currently have an EK Supreme HF block sitting in my loop. I'm using distilled water, and a drop of the CuSO4 based PT Nuke biocide, so going off other users' experiences, and the EK reports, chances are the nickel plating on my CPU block will be failing.

The loop has been running for nearly 3 months now. I was planning on tearing it down for a flush in September. However, now, I am concerned about any damage that could occur to other components in my loop. As a result, would it be worth draining the loop now?

What have other users encountered, in terms of the condition of any components that are in the same loop as the problematic EK blocks? I seem to faintly recall one user complaining that all his BP fittings had been damaged by the flaking nickel?

If the damaged blocks do not cause any damage to other components, and there is no siginificant performance deficit, then I'm guessing it's not going through the hassle of draining the loop early.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Odai.

Kayin
06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm the one with damaged BP fittings, but they were gold plated as well. Gold's rather soft, the nickel zooming around the loop took it off pretty well.

Took out everything, I'm STILL washing nickel dust out of my rad. It'll eventually be salvageable, but my res/pump top and pump were killed by nickel shards. Pump top was scoured out and the pump had it embedded all through the impeller. Mine was a Supreme HF as well.

CedricFP
06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm the one with damaged BP fittings, but they were gold plated as well. Gold's rather soft, the nickel zooming around the loop took it off pretty well.

Took out everything, I'm STILL washing nickel dust out of my rad. It'll eventually be salvageable, but my res/pump top and pump were killed by nickel shards. Pump top was scoured out and the pump had it embedded all through the impeller. Mine was a Supreme HF as well.

Ouch. Have you had to replace all of these components out of your own cost?

Kayin
06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Didn't think there was any other way to get a replacement. I moved on to a Kryos and a Koolance dual DDC top, so I upgraded anyway. The rest of the system wasn't changing, so it was ok, I didn't really WANT to spend the money on that but I didn't keel over dead or anything.

If you're asking if I asked EK to replace the stuff, no. That was just a bit far to me. I didn't even RMA the block. Just too many problems to want to argue about any of it.

hillywav
06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
ouch... tough luck kayin :(

doesn't have any problem with mine though (distilled water+ silver for 5 months)