PDA

View Full Version : PSU Warranty??

davidkozat
06-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi there Xtreme Guys! :) Got a Question for you guys I bought a Cougar 1000CM PSU in a retail shop and after a 1 and so now my PC started play up and doing all kind of crazy things... so after looking around at all my hardware I was checking all the connection and I found this....

So now am wondering if this would be covered by the PSU Warranty I know under the Cougar Website is suppose to be 3 Year warranty But I did buy it from a Retail shop and Ill try tomorrow to take it back or replace it but I dont know if they will tell me to blow it out of my A** or something similar (this is not eligible for warranty) so??? Am I wasting my time and buy another PSU or? Insist on a replacement!!

Thanks for the advise! :up:

davidkozat
06-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Maybe this could happened cos my ram sticks are so close to the power connector, but even if my ram sticks got that hot I double it would melt the plastic connection?? don't know how this happened... :shrug:

CrazyNutz
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Has nothing to do with the ram being too close. The pins are the 12v power/supplemental for the PCIe slots. Your 2x GTX480's are pulling a huge load through the PCIe slots.
The PSU connector pins are not able to keep up with the load, so they get hot, and then the heat melted the plug.

The pins are of low quality & are resitive, or they are low quality & not making good enough contact to the Mobo pins. Or your 2 480's are pulling way too much load over the PCIe slot.

davidkozat
06-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Cool so my question still stands? will this void the warranty? I mean I do crunch a lot of GPU power and high loads for long times but isnt that the point of a 1000W PSU?? I thought I had a decent PSU but I see that I dont.. the GPUs power adapter (8+6 Pins) are fine...

zanzabar
06-26-2011, 07:50 PM
that happens when u pull to much amps through a wire, i would think that u could rma it since it is a 1KW unit, but next time get one of the evga power booster things

davidkozat
06-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Well that sucks... 1KW psu cant handle 700w power draw and I know the Retail Shop are going to screw me over even though I bought it 1.5 ago... so wish me luck...

davidkozat
06-27-2011, 04:54 AM
well as I predicted the Retail shop told me to F*** myself so I gotta deal directly with Cougar RMA... Do you guys know if I need to send it with all the cable that came with the PSU originally??

davidkozat
06-27-2011, 05:39 AM
does anyone know how to RMA a cougar psu?? cant find the option anywhere on their site, and I dont wanna call Germany?(the only number I could find in Europe was Germany??) am from the UK...

Ket
06-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Retailers are only responsible for the product for the first year of warrenty, beyond that you have to deal with the manufacturer. Send them a email and see what they say.

CrazyNutz
06-27-2011, 06:16 AM
It's not that the PSU can't handle the load, rather it's the pins in the connector that can't handle the load. The pins may be low quality, dirty, not making good contact, or the 480's are just pulling too much. If the 480's are pulling too much then this may happen on any PSU.

I would suggest RMA the PSU. When you either get it back or get a new one try some of this on the contacts: http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f
And you may consider one of these: http://www.evga.com/articles/00600/

At any rate when you get it back together, run some load on your GPU's and keep your hand on the connector, if it gets hot then shut it down, you still have a problem.

davidkozat
06-27-2011, 06:45 AM
so After 1 hour of phone calls this is what am emailing them on the Cougar website... Quote Hi I am a customer from the UK that has purchase a Cougar CM1000 2 years ago from a retail shop in Eastbourne at http://www.fusionsystems.co.uk/ and I am trying to RMA it as the 24 Pin connector has melted.. Now I have tried contacting the retail supplier but he tells me I got to contact you directly. On you website you do not supply with any RMA information so after having to call a foreign country (Germany because you do not provide a UK number) they directed me to http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/ and they told me that I must contact the Retail shop but the retail shop owner doesnt want to order a RMA... what should I do? Please help on your sites it says I got between 3 to 5 years warranty and I bought it 2 years ago! Thank you for your time.

davidkozat
06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Ok after speaking to the supplier they have arranged a RMA, just sent my old PSU and they are gonna send me a Upgrade 1200w for 20 more...

davidkozat
06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Retailers are only responsible for the product for the first year of warrenty, beyond that you have to deal with the manufacturer. Send them a email and see what they say.

It's not that the PSU can't handle the load, rather it's the pins in the connector that can't handle the load. The pins may be low quality, dirty, not making good contact, or the 480's are just pulling too much. If the 480's are pulling too much then this may happen on any PSU.

I would suggest RMA the PSU. When you either get it back or get a new one try some of this on the contacts: http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f
And you may consider one of these: http://www.evga.com/articles/00600/

At any rate when you get it back together, run some load on your GPU's and keep your hand on the connector, if it gets hot then shut it down, you still have a problem.

Thanks for the Advise guys Ill test the new PSU as soon as I get it! and Ill try getting some power meters to check the load of the PSU and try the EVGA power booster as am always crunching numbers and Folding..

Thanks!

davidkozat
07-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Well the new PSU has arrived but it doesnt plug all the way in on the mobo.. I suppose cos the connection on the mobo is melted from the previous PSU so I bought a connector in case it melts again the PSU will be ok... now i want to seriously protect my system and am gonna pull 100% of both 2 480gtx gpus possible 2 more on the future... you guys think the silly looking EVGA power booster will keep things in order or is their something better..??

davidkozat
07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Where the hell do can you buy the stupid EVGA power booster bullocks in england?? Cant find it online, ebay, ebuyer, scan, overclockers??

** sorry for the strong post I just for some pretty bad news earlier...

davidkozat
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
so does anyone know where I can buy this so far I only found it at the EVGA shop dont wanna spend 30 Euros for a 10$ cable....

zanzabar
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
the evga booster is on the evga eu site for 10 euro (though i dont know the shipping)

but if u want to run more than 2 gf100 parts u need a board made for that or u need to solder some extra 12V lines to the MB

davidkozat
07-08-2011, 06:54 AM
is 10 Euros and 20 Shipping?? just for a cable is so expensive..

davidkozat
07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
anyway cant find anything else better for my P6X58D-E so I bought it see how it goes am planning to but 2 6990s and CF will run them at 100% for hours dont wanna melt my PSU or mobo!!

zanzabar
07-08-2011, 11:57 AM
most amd cards and most dual gpu cards dont pull over spec (75W) through the MB, and did u look at frozencpu or sidewinder, they ship the UK and have the booster.