PDA

View Full Version : "Best" liquid cooling computer chassis right now?

LLiH
06-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Hello guys,

As title says.
What would be the best liquid cooling case?

I got some suggestions:

LD-PC V8
Corsair 800D [modded 800D for bottom rad would be smart]
Silverstone Tenjim 11
Mountain Mods Ascension & Extended Ascension
CaseLabs TH10
XSPC H1 Cube

If I forgot some new amazing ones, please add them! :)

Church
06-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Add TJ07. TJ11 is arguably improved TJ07, but imho not enough for it's doubled price.
Also i don't know if it's right to compare half-custom purpose designed cases together with generic ones. I'd rather make two sections.
800D | TJ07 | Some LiLi-s | few more
and CaseLabs/MM/DangerDen/XSPC/LD.

FFlegend
06-26-2011, 03:45 AM
depends on the radiators you need...

LLiH
06-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Ypu can add MM cases, especially the Ascension series.

They are already there...? rofl

and for FFlegend. "Depends on what radiators you need" You can also ask for what radiators should I buy "Depends on what case fits in your room" rofl

So many bad answers today :P

Though thanks Churchy!

Utnorris
06-26-2011, 05:38 AM
It really depends on what your requirements are. I am using a 700D right now that is more than adequate for my purposes. If you are talking endless possibilities then I think the Case Labs case offers the best overall design.

mak1skav
06-26-2011, 07:19 AM
If you take the price of the case into seriously consideration then Xigmatek Elysium could be a fantastic choice i think.

AllAgainstPaul
06-26-2011, 12:29 PM
If money and size isn't a factor, then the MM Extended Ascension is best.

prtuc2
06-26-2011, 12:55 PM
From a couple builds on the Case Labs build over OCN, seems like a good choice if you are located in US. I heard the quality of the MM cases are pretty fragile compared to other cases on this list, especially the motherboard tray.

theseeker
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
From a couple builds on the Case Labs build over OCN, seems like a good choice if you are located in US. I heard the quality of the MM cases are pretty fragile compared to other cases on this list, especially the motherboard tray.

I can back up your statement since I have both, NO COMPARISON! CL is in a class by itself.

defect9
06-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I've been a fan of the small form factor cases with an outboard MORA (or any large radiator) attatched. like with all the cases, it depends on what your hardware-fit requirements are.

crash5s
06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
add TJ 09. Can put 2x120mm at the top, and two 1x20 at the intake and back fan.

Martinm210
06-26-2011, 03:31 PM
I haven't filled mine up yet, but the XSPC H2 (http://www.xs-pc.com/products/cases/h2-tower-case/) is another option for major rad space in a more conventional single wide tower shaped case.

It'll hold a 480 up top:

And at least a 320 or 420 in bottom.

I could see putting a 480 in bottom with just a few holes drilled and possibly a 560 in bottom with a bit more work.

UrbanSmooth
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Mountain Mods. :D

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2238/img0327wq.jpg

Utnorris
06-26-2011, 05:30 PM
I have two MM cases and to me the CL case beats them out easily. That being said, if you want a single wide type case, there are a lot of choices, 800/700D, TJ07, MM Pinnacle, XSPC are just a few.

FFlegend
06-27-2011, 02:52 AM
They are already there...? rofl

and for FFlegend. "Depends on what radiators you need" You can also ask for what radiators should I buy "Depends on what case fits in your room" rofl

So many bad answers today :P

Though thanks Churchy!
what can we say whitout any information about your (future?) system? if you say "tell me the best case for liquid cooling" people just tell you what they like or something that maybe you don't need...
with the lc in your signature for example you don't need a big case... the BEST case for liquid coling with multiple loops isn't a TJ or a Corsair, that's sure...

LLiH
06-27-2011, 08:40 AM
what can we say whitout any information about your (future?) system? if you say "tell me the best case for liquid cooling" people just tell you what they like or something that maybe you don't need...
with the lc in your signature for example you don't need a big case... the BEST case for liquid coling with multiple loops isn't a TJ or a Corsair, that's sure...

If you can't answer. Then don't answer. You are wasting your time.
I'm not here to talk about debating. Please.

Kayin
06-27-2011, 09:16 AM
To me, it's whatever case you want, a pack of Dremel cutting wheels, and a good friend to help you knock out stuff and have a good time.

I don't like the idea of a "pre-ready" case. I'm using a Fractal Design Define XL (though I'm not doing what Malik and Phaseshift are doing AT ALL) and I think that with the sound dampening and all it's pretty perfect.

Ask 10 people, get 12 opinions. But there's mine.

RollerBall
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
No TJ07? Lolwut?

antiacid
06-27-2011, 09:43 AM
No TJ07? Lolwut?

Because new cases came out since 2006?

I've recently been impressed by Case Labs and LD Cooling cases (if I go phase, it's probably with LDC). I personally own a MM and while it is large and spacious, the assembly / finished product is not the best in the world.

Bojamijams
06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Silverstone TJ07. None of the Corsair cases that I have seen (or really many others) allow what the TJ07 allows. That is, a 480 radiator at the bottom that intakes and exhausts air without ever getting anywhere near the main components. That means, cool fresh air from the outside goes in through the radiator and the hot air goes out at the bottom, never flowing over your components.

warriorpoet
06-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Love my Cooler Master ATCS 840, and am in the process of building up another for my brother, but they aren't "ideal" H2o cases in the mold of MM or CL, they're just amazingly fine- looking, reasonably priced "regular" cases. Where the ATCS really shines is in the quiet department. For a case that's not intended as a "silent" case at stock, they're amazingly easy to get near-silent with very, very little work.

Kayin
06-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I swear I'll throw something if someone else mentions TJ07. My best friend bought one and it was the worst assembled case I've ever seen. All the money they pay for the Murderboxes must be to straighten out Silverstone's crappy work beforehand I swear, not a hole lined up like it ought to have.

I miss the days of the WaveMaster. Or the PC-60. So many of these "liquid cooling" cases just look like junk. (this is a statement of opinion.)

warriorpoet
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
...I miss the days of the WaveMaster. Or the PC-60. So many of these "liquid cooling" cases just look like junk. (this is a statement of opinion.)...Which is one reason I love the ATCS so much. It's understated and gorgeous in a very old-skool way. Like a 2009 door-less wide-body version of the WaveMaster.

theseeker
06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Just buy one of these....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/theseekeroffun/Madness%20Continued/DSC03992.jpg

Phatboy69
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I would like to add I have a mountain mods extended ascension and couldn't be happier with it. The fact it so modular and flexible with changes to any panel possible making future upgrades a simple matter. Also having custom panels made for you is pretty cool too.

I started out modding a single thermaltake case which turned into a monster with a 2nd custom dedicated external water cooling case. It was a bit messy and not very attractive.

I think the new CL cases have taken most of the benefits of MM cases and refined it so they are less industrial mechano set looking and more high performance enthusiast cases. The layout of CL is not as flexible IMHO but they do look better than MM. I think my case is big, but I think the sizing dimensions of some of the CL cases makes them look bigger, but without necessarily more space. I like having a wider case and am now considering some future upgrades that wouldn't be possible in the CL.

How does 7 GTX 360 rads with a quad D5 single loop sound? And that's without modding the case in anyway, no cutting, drilling, nothing. Can a CL do that? Not that im knocking them, I actually quite like their attention to detail.

http://w7st5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pHTBYzKI1tNnKKlfR5qLXCPWDVfiGLm6-728AdUsQzZ2q5q_xtfglq0xTA4bUG9MjRaKlVS6iCyEN1xb2et kCcmoaRKlyHaPp/EXT-Ascension.jpg

http://w7sp5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p9pg2_stmmtnzWsPF1ZC4T4cy5JigWYZAyJqBzM-tk4FLhPFdKz6TIVwM5g08OBxEtf6PKOR6lq_eykjF0aS4kSvSm qxELSzV/IMG_1969.JPG

http://w7sp5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pKSvt_msCBeYP6baQlRqo7b62NPF5dlZvi3TMRCXP0e1aeNL aHL3P7MiqMiHXtg5Yet04liKIF-3rgEp9RujNiQia-2Ov1PT5/IMG_1968.JPG

ScottAllyn
06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
[...]How does 7 GTX 360 rads with a quad D5 single loop sound? And that's without modding the case in anyway, no cutting, drilling, nothing. Can a CL do that? Not that im knocking them, I actually quite like their attention to detail.

The upcoming Case Labs TX10 is supposed to have space for 6 quad radiators, so I'd say, Yea... they have a case for that! :up:

Phatboy69
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah I know I was interested in the TX10 too till I realised just how big they are going to be. IMHO thats just too big unless you have a dedicated server room or some where to hide it. Definetly not WAF approved. I barely got the WAF stamp of approval on mine now! ;) In fact If I hadnt started out with 2 modded cases side by side that looked messy to start with I would never have gotten WAF certification. :)

theseeker
06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I would like to add I have a mountain mods extended ascension and couldn't be happier with it. The fact it so modular and flexible with changes to any panel possible making future upgrades a simple matter. Also having custom panels made for you is pretty cool too.

I started out modding a single thermaltake case which turned into a monster with a 2nd custom dedicated external water cooling case. It was a bit messy and not very attractive.

I think the new CL cases have taken most of the benefits of MM cases and refined it so they are less industrial mechano set looking and more high performance enthusiast cases. The layout of CL is not as flexible IMHO but they do look better than MM. I think my case is big, but I think the sizing dimensions of some of the CL cases makes them look bigger, but without necessarily more space. I like having a wider case and am now considering some future upgrades that wouldn't be possible in the CL.

How does 7 GTX 360 rads with a quad D5 single loop sound? And that's without modding the case in anyway, no cutting, drilling, nothing. Can a CL do that? Not that im knocking them, I actually quite like their attention to detail.

http://w7st5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pHTBYzKI1tNnKKlfR5qLXCPWDVfiGLm6-728AdUsQzZ2q5q_xtfglq0xTA4bUG9MjRaKlVS6iCyEN1xb2et kCcmoaRKlyHaPp/EXT-Ascension.jpg

http://w7sp5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p9pg2_stmmtnzWsPF1ZC4T4cy5JigWYZAyJqBzM-tk4FLhPFdKz6TIVwM5g08OBxEtf6PKOR6lq_eykjF0aS4kSvSm qxELSzV/IMG_1969.JPG

http://w7sp5a.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pKSvt_msCBeYP6baQlRqo7b62NPF5dlZvi3TMRCXP0e1aeNL aHL3P7MiqMiHXtg5Yet04liKIF-3rgEp9RujNiQia-2Ov1PT5/IMG_1968.JPG

I am happy for you. MM cases are probably the worst case's ever made, IMO. Everything is flimsy to say the least. I own a MM 24 Pinnacle with the pedestal and I will make you a great deal!

MM cases are SH*T!

Just my 2 cents!

Phatboy69
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I think your being a little bit harsh. MM opened up a whole new market that allowed CL to invest in the development of their new line of cases. Without MM being around for several years before CL to develop the market, CL may never have got off the ground with this range of cases. MM cases are designed to be modular. Yes maybe at the expense of rigidity while dismantled, but once assembled there is nothing wrong with the build quality. They use very similiar thickness material to CL, just that CL fabricate their cases pre-built which allows some refinement and extra rigidity. I applaud them for it too, they look fantastic, and I look forward to your build. I'd like some hinges and gas struts on my case too, which I'll be looking into for the next evolution of the beast. If anything I think MM are more true to the hardcore modder than CL as you have to work for it to get a result. Its not just handed to you in a prefab box like the CL. ;) IMHO.

UrbanSmooth
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Beautiful-looking machine you got there, Phatboy. :up:

LLiH
06-28-2011, 02:25 AM
@TheSeeker I think I will go for that. Is that a TH10? Isn't it kinda expensive? And if I travel to the US, how can I take it over to Europe? :P Cause shipping is slow and expensive as well.

06-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Nearly impposible to get this in SEA due to the fact of the pricey shipping charges which might cost nearly the same amt as the price of the casing itself or more.

Otherwise I would have already bought this when it 1st came out.

The last n only available option for me is..... drooling

[XC] Synthetickiller
06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
You guys are crazy, I Love it.

What about FT02/RV02? You can fit a GTX560 in the bottom w/ very little modding.

What about DangerDen Double wide or MM Pinacle as well? Those are really good if you don't need more than two radiators.

@ Martinm210

That XSPC case lives up to the H2 name, at least hummerwise. More like H1. looks ruggeed.

ohms
06-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Synthetickiller;4892030']That XSPC case lives up to the H2 name, at least hummerwise. More like H1. looks ruggeed.

The XSPC cases IMO are garbage. I own the H2 and it is very flimsy in comparison to cases like the HAF 932/X and ATCS 840 all of which I have owned. It was constructed very poorly, the only good thing it has going for it is the horizontal motherboard tray and it has support for (5) 360mm radiators.

In retrospect I should have done exactly what the OP did and make a thread like this before I threw away $499 on the H2.

After doing some research of my own I think the Case Labs M8/M10 with the Extended Top cover is one of the best water cooling cases which leaves you with plenty of radiator placement options, and I love how you can basically compartmentalize the radiators away from the components.

I would suspect that the QC on Case Labs would also be better then most companies out there as all their cases are made per order.

kimosabi
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I swear I'll throw something if someone else mentions TJ07. My best friend bought one and it was the worst assembled case I've ever seen. All the money they pay for the Murderboxes must be to straighten out Silverstone's crappy work beforehand I swear, not a hole lined up like it ought to have.

Yeah, heard that one before. I'm not sayin' that the TJ07's don't have certain flaws but part of the reason to why people struggle with them is that the TJ07 have some tension in the U-piece. It's part of what makes it so rugged. You gotta hold that sucker down good while mounting screws lol. I wouldn't call it "the best LC case" either. It has space and possibilities but you gotta put some work in to get a nice loop goin. No bolt-on mounts for rads or w/e.

Martinm, that XSPC case is schmexmah!

prtuc2
06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't own the MM case, but is there any cable management at all in the MM case? Most of the MM build logs just saw a bunch of wires all over the case.

jkresh
06-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I just switched from a tj10 to a xigmatek Elysium , so far I am quite happy. I had to give up one drive bay but I got my 2*120 in the bottom (and a 2*140 could work), with room for my 1000 watt powersupply and have my 3*120 up top (again it can fit a 3*140), I had a 10 degree Celsius drop from teh tj09 (though I did switch my fuzion (first generation) to an apogee xt rev 2.0 which I am sure contributed significantly to that change, I also added a second d5 pump (along with a koolance 452x2 res, so I cannot say how much the change was the case vs the block and pump but I think the case helped, as it has much better airflow setup for the 2*120 then the tj09 did, and more cool air is reaching the top rad as well (xigmatek has far more intake fan options then the silverstone did, even though the silverstone was good).
the case is also quite sturdy (as it should be, since it is all steel, vs the aluminum on the tj10, it is a bit heavier, but it is also quieter).
My only complaint is the included fans are slow and have bright leds, the 200mm on the side will stay, I will likely swap the other three, but the 140mm on the back came with all 4 screws stripped, so I will have to use an extractor to fix that, also the case did not come with the number of screws that it said in the manual (i had extras so it was not an issue, but I was missing the screws require dto mount to the wheels (which I did not install anyway)).
Overall I am happy with the design of case, but not terribly happy with the screw situation (i will probably email them to see if they can fix it).

theseeker
06-29-2011, 05:06 AM
I don't own the MM case, but is there any cable management at all in the MM case? Most of the MM build logs just saw a bunch of wires all over the case.

No, you have to make your own modifications to hide the cables.

ColonelCain
06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Love my Cooler Master ATCS 840, and am in the process of building up another for my brother, but they aren't "ideal" H2o cases in the mold of MM or CL, they're just amazingly fine- looking, reasonably priced "regular" cases. Where the ATCS really shines is in the quiet department. For a case that's not intended as a "silent" case at stock, they're amazingly easy to get near-silent with very, very little work.
I beg to differ, I have a 3x120, 2x120, 1x160 with dual loops fit into my 840. And it was modded to reverse ATX to boot.

Kayin
06-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I'll vote for the Fractal Design Define XL. Mine is modded now to fit a 2x120 and a 2x140 without tipping your hand there's even a rad in the system. Leaves me more room for fun design work. Malik showed that far more rad could be stuffed in there quite easily. Plus, quiet as a cat and rugged to boot.

Need some pics... May get some tonight.

lowfat
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
The thread starter is asking for cases which can be modded to fit multiple radiators. If that was the case, damn near every computer case would be great for watercooling.

warriorpoet
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I beg to differ, I have a 3x120, 2x120, 1x160 with dual loops fit into my 840. And it was modded to reverse ATX to boot.Sure you can fit TONS of stuff in an ATCS, but it really only has one ready-made rad mount, and one "kinda" one behind the HDD cage. Anything else requires cutting.

In case you haven't noticed my sig, you will find I am running 2 rads push-pull in an ATCS.

warriorpoet
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
The thread starter is asking for cases which can be modded to fit multiple radiators. If that was the case, damn near every computer case would be great for watercooling.this.

theseeker
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I think your being a little bit harsh.

Sometimes the truth is harsh and since I have a MM and a CL case, I stand by my original statement. There is no comparison between the two cases, period.

trn
06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Mountain Mods cases are pretty good for multiple and big rads. The way they are made (CNC cut and bending) is a unique case philosophy; all the parts are made from flat panels with nothing welded together. This creates a very configurable case that panels can be swapped in and out of but it also creates challenges in areas like cable management because there are no interior panels to hide wires behind.

Pro's:
- Very configurable because they are big open boxes with radiator cutout holes in them.
- Re configurable, my MM extended ascension has gone through a few rebuilds and new custom panels to recreate it.

Con's:
- No cable management
- Currently overkill for only cooling a 2600k :p:

I'm not sure what case I would recommend these days. If it was my build I would evaluate my needs better; what is your WC loop going to be? how many rads do you need? How much do you want to modify and custom build into your case?

theseeker
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Mountain Mods cases are pretty good for multiple and big rads. The way they are made (CNC cut and bending) is a unique case philosophy; all the parts are made from flat panels with nothing welded together. This creates a very configurable case that panels can be swapped in and out of but it also creates challenges in areas like cable management because there are no interior panels to hide wires behind.

Pro's:
- Very configurable because they are big open boxes with radiator cutout holes in them.
- Re configurable, my MM extended ascension has gone through a few rebuilds and new custom panels to recreate it.

Con's:
- No cable management
- Currently overkill for only cooling a 2600k :p:

I'm not sure what case I would recommend these days. If it was my build I would evaluate my needs better; what is your WC loop going to be? how many rads do you need? How much do you want to modify and custom build into your case?

I hope that you are drinking or smoking something?

jspace
06-30-2011, 06:31 PM
trn,
This is XS.

There is no such thing as overkill. You of all people should know this:D

Arctunual
07-01-2011, 03:36 AM
What's wrong with TJ07? Is the quality for this case really that bad?

zeropluszero
07-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Nope. Haters gonna hate

theseeker
07-01-2011, 06:25 AM

It is a very nice case and the quality is very good.

kimosabi
07-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Nope. Haters gonna hate

It is a very nice case and the quality is very good.

QFT

The reason to why some people flame them for "misalignement" etc is that they have ten thumbs and all of them are broken. They need to blame something, right? ;)

Kayin
07-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I'll stick a plaque of that comment right next to my MOTM one.

I was seriously disappointed with the quality of the TJ07, and even if it's "keeping tension with the unibody" it's not anywhere near what I would call a high-end case, merely expensive. And as I have said before, I could just as easily spend that money on more games to play or more video card.

Was seriously disappointed with Mountain Mods as well. Looks like something someone banged together in their garage, and honestly I've seen some of those that were FAR surpassing anything we've mentioned.

Probably, if I were to go with a bespoke case, it would be Epic PCs (a little place in Oz, just getting started.) Their cases are freaking sweet. The LD stuff is great too, and the CL stuff interests me, but it's just too big.

kimosabi
07-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah, MOTM lol. Really not a benchmark on craftsmanship dude, you only have a select few modders on that site that really are qualified to make statements on quality. I have one myself but I told them to keep the $50. If you can't line up a TJ07's holes when assembling it, you're doing it wrong. All in all computer cases are all just boxes which anyone with a slight interest can make themselves but saying that a TJ07 is of low quality, compared to other boxes out there ofc, is not really objective. You're not dealing with a friggin' Antec 900 steel case here, soft aluminium is a "living material". I could make a better quality case than all the cases out there myself, with ease.

kadozer
07-02-2011, 11:12 PM

ATCS 840 is underrated for looks and watercooling.

07-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Silverstone TJ07. None of the Corsair cases that I have seen (or really many others) allow what the TJ07 allows. That is, a 480 radiator at the bottom that intakes and exhausts air without ever getting anywhere near the main components. That means, cool fresh air from the outside goes in through the radiator and the hot air goes out at the bottom, never flowing over your components.

How do U put in the 480 rad without the dual hard drive cages removed? And with the dual hard drive cages removed, where do U put Ur hard drive?

07-07-2011, 01:10 AM
The spacing between the two fans mounted on top of the TJ07 isn't 15mm which is the typical fan spacing on typical radiators.