PDA

View Full Version : Extra Flags, general tweaking, and different miners discussion

Fhqwhgads6680
06-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Guys, I thought since this is XS we should be experimenting and finding ways to get the most out of our hardware. First thing I have noticed is a new version of guiminer is out: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=3878.0 That adds the phoenix miner to Windows. I have tested this on all 4 of my cards: hd6870's hd6950, hd5850 and received about a 15-20 mhash boost using the following Flags: -k phatk platform=0 device=1 VECTORS BFI_INT AGGRESSION=11 worksize=128 FASTLOOP=false

Also of note here is platform refers to the device number (if 0-0 then use 0 if 0-1 then use 1)

Also any suggestions on how we can organize this thread with tweaks and tips?

OldChap
06-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Also any suggestions on how we can organize this thread with tweaks and tips?

Copied from the other thread...This is a better place.

Phoenix arguments

-v (verbose) - Logs additional debug messages to the console. Default is disabled.
-q (queue size) - Sets the size of the internal work queue. Default is 1. This shouldn't need to be changed for most GPU miners.
-a (average samples) - Sets the number of samples to use for hashrate averaging. Default is 10. You might want to lower this for longer kernel execution times. (high aggression)
-u (URL) - Sets the URL of the work server. The correct protocol is selected based on the prefix (RPC for http://, MMP for mmp://)
-k (kernel) - Selects which kernel to load. Default is poclbm. All other arguments MUST come before specifying a kernel. Any arguments after -k are sent to the kernel.

Poclbm kernel arguments

PLATFORM=ID - Sets the OpenCL platform to use. This isn't needed if you only have a single platform.
DEVICE=ID - Sets the OpenCL device to use. This isn't needed if you only have a single device.
VECTORS - Enables 2-way vectors. This may improve hashrate if enabled, but it can be slower on some hardware. Default is disabled.
AGGRESSION=LEVEL - Sets the aggression. This allows you to control the kernel execution time to improve hashrate or reduce interface lag. Default is 4.
WORKSIZE=SIZE - Sets the worksize. Tweaking this setting may improve performance similar to poclbm's -w flag. Default is the maximum supported by the device.
FASTLOOP - Enables fast internal loop. This improves hashrate at lower aggression levels without introducing any additional interface lag. Default is enabled.
BFI_INT - Enables the BFI_INT instruction on newer AMD/ATI GPUs. This significantly improves hashrate. Default is disabled.

NOTE 1: Using FASTLOOP at higher AGGRESSION won't improve performance. However, it no longer results in stale shares. To disable FASTLOOP use FASTLOOP=false.
NOTE 2: The phatk kernel uses the same command line options

p2501
06-17-2011, 04:21 AM
I have noticed that the best agression setting for 6990 cards is 11. Also the difference between kernels seems to be negligible, worksize optimum is 128, above the production drops off.

KaptainBlaZzed
06-18-2011, 04:39 AM
I have been using the Phoenix Rising GUI for the phoenix miner and really like it.

The main feature l like is it has an auto restart feature after a set time of inactivity. currently mine is set to 30 seconds.

BeepBeep2
06-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I got 7 more Mhash/s from my 5770's using the phatk kernel...running APP 2.4
Both cards are at 1000 core, getting 219 each.

-k phatk VECTORS DEVICE=0 and 1 AGGRESSION=10 FASTLOOP BFI_INT WORKSIZE=128

AGGRESSION=10 seems to give less rejected results. I've tried up to 13 but just got more results rejected and lower efficiency in my pool. No load/mhash benefit for me after 9/10.

My 4870X2 gets 1 Mhash benefit with 64 worksize over 128, 256 is worse than both. sort of negligible I guess but with a GPU like that every one counts.