PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your experiences with Koolance GPU blocks

warriorpoet
06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Feel free to post pics as well :)

I' RMAing my GTX 570 as we speak, and given the recent run of issues with a certain company, I've decided to go full-on Koolance. While I'm waiting for everything to go through on eVGA's end, I'm wondering if y'all will share your experiences with Koolance's recent products, warn me of anythign to look out for and post some sweet, sweet nickle-coated full cover pr0n.

Have at it!

ohms
06-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I recently installed a 6900 series Koolance block onto my friends Radeon 6970, and it's been running great for him. The block itself was very smooth on the contact side with absolutely no blemishes.

He sits at about 34° C at idle with his core/memory overclocked on stock voltage.

hillywav
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
only have experiences on QDC,pump tops, and universal VGA block.

their universal VGA block performs really well and easy to assembly

theseeker
06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
KL is high quality these days and I had 2 x 285's briefly, I found them to be very restrictive. I ditched my EK 580's for Aqua.

pby5cat
06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I installed one on my friends ATI 6950, the built in standoffs make installation a breeze. Temps where fine.

Elmy
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Very high quality stuff. I got a 6970 waterblock from them. Getting ready to add a 2nd and going to buy their new cpu block as well. Gotta get my new build put together before PDXLAN in July .....

penguins
06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
.... share your experiences with Koolance's recent products...

Have at it!

I Have no recent products, I still have a Koolance Exos. and it works, works well, only user neglect for it.

I had an ATI 9700 Pro with a Koolance (universal, they all where) block Looooved it. period.

As I have had no recent product, I just wanted to say I have had customer support questions for them over and over and they are one of the top tier on the subject.

So I say, if you have any q's we can't answer email them.

CedricFP
06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm looking at Koolance blocks for the GTx580 myself.

From those tests buddymania did on the 480, it looks like the Koolance blocks achieve a great balance between restriction and thermal performance.

Conumdrum
06-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Was a DD fan. Decided to go with Kool on my 470 SLI. Worked great. Installed removed twice. Enough of TTape for two apps with care. On the full teardown I wanted new oring sets. Opened a ticket per Tim the Koolance guy here. They were not normal sale items. They set me up with full new orings, and I ordered extra TTape. Was pretty cheap.

I'm very happy with my 470 blocks, had them a tad over a year. I tore them down for a 100% rebuild, had a VERY VERRY small discoloration. Sorry no pic after clean, must of been good or I woulda took a pic. I use distilled, PHN, and a kill coil. My temps were always low, I had more than enough rad, per XS rules.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/Conumdrum_2007/470%20air/IMG_0806.jpg

Pic from 2 weeks ago latest annual rebuild. GPU blocks lookin good!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/Conumdrum_2007/PCrebuild%20060311/IMG_0881.jpg

Elmy
06-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Was a DD fan. Decided to go with Kool on my 470 SLI. Worked great. Installed removed twice. Enough of TTape for two apps with care. On the full teardown I wanted new oring sets. Opened a ticket per Tim the Koolance guy here. They were not normal sale items. They set me up with full new orings, and I ordered extra TTape. Was pretty cheap.

I'm very happy with my 470 blocks, had them a tad over a year. I tore them down for a 100% rebuild, had a VERY VERRY small discoloration. Sorry no pic after clean, must of been good or I woulda took a pic. I use distilled, PHN, and a kill coil. My temps were always low, I had more than enough rad, per XS rules.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/Conumdrum_2007/PCrebuild%20060311/IMG_0881.jpg

WoW .... You going to just leave it like that ? ^^^^^^^^^^

Alexandr0s
06-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Not sure whether you read his post, but he said he cleaned it after taking the pictures, but that he didn't take any pictures of the cleaned block.

NaeKuh
06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
So I say, if you have any q's we can't answer email them.

Or you can pm me... WL could also help ya out.
We probably nailed almost every last product KL has... well i certainly have.

KL has made a hugh face change in the past 3 yrs they started getting active.
They are no longer the company of the past, and should be associated as a new company with a new face.

They monitor XS forums, they listen to feedback from reviewers... the KL-360 v1.1 and KL-370 are advances made by Skinnee and Vapor's Testing.

The gpu blocks are superb. Nickling plating is perfect, the quality is worth every last penny.
The only flaws i see is they use a type of vasoline on the oring to keep them in place.
Its not harmful, and u dont need to wipe it. But it leaves a nasty residue when you open your blocks.

Another complain i have reciently gotten was KL's increase pricing.
Guys, kl used to use thin sheets of acrylic and a steel top on there old gpu blocks., they changed this to a solid top made of derlin.
Additional costs went to the materials...

Most important, KL pays for there messups. If they mess up, they quickly tell the public we messed up, so people are aware, and they fix it at there cost, so the customers dont experience any additional grief.

You cant go wrong with KL... i have yet to meet someone get a KL block and go DAYAM i wish i got some other vendor.

Im on KL 580's, and its gonna take a LOT to get me to move to another vendor.

ohms
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Since people have been talking about other KL products in this thread, I may as well toss up an additional post.

I own tons of KL products:

Compression fittings (different sizes)
Nozzle body 4 way brass
Nozzle body 5 way brass
Nozzle socket plug fittings
Coolant temperature sensor plug
FM-17 flow meter
TMS-200 & Expansion board
CPU-360 block
MB-ASC4E motherboard block
(2) PMP-400
RP-402X2 Reservoir
Hose clamps (different sizes)
HX-CU420H 120mm radiator
HX-CU420V 120mm radiator
HX-CU1020V 360mm radiator

Out of all of those products I only had 1 problem and that was with the TMS-200 in which they did a recall. They paid for the shipping both ways so I could have mine replaced with a newer revision.

The only reason I don't own the KL GPU blocks myself is because everywhere I looked they were out of stock!

I have dealt with both Dean and Tim and they are extremely nice and helpful. You can't ask for better customer service and quality in my opinion when it comes to KL these days.

warriorpoet
06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49/Conumdrum_2007/PCrebuild%20060311/IMG_0881.jpgPretty sweet.

If I'm not mistaken, that looks an awful lot like PA120.3 gunk (aka residual flux). You should be able to keep that from happening with a scalding water bath. Takes some time, but your loop will love you for cleaning your Thermochill rad.

warriorpoet
06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Got the block. Wow, is this thing well-made or what? Unbelievable plating, very well thought out design. Can't wait to get my card back and have some fun!

Conumdrum
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Pretty sweet.

If I'm not mistaken, that looks an awful lot like PA120.3 gunk (aka residual flux). You should be able to keep that from happening with a scalding water bath. Takes some time, but your loop will love you for cleaning your Thermochill rad.

Well since I'm the one who coined the phrase, 'rad dance' a few years ago and the rad is 3 years old, and every rebuild the rads get the rad dance it's probably not flux.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592874

And my GPUs use the XSPC RX rad, it's probably not flux. It's a bit of plastisizer and typical stuff that builds up.

warriorpoet
06-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Well since I'm the one who coined the phrase, 'rad dance' a few years ago and the rad is 3 years old, and every rebuild the rads get the rad dance it's probably not flux.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592874

And my GPUs use the XSPC RX rad, it's probably not flux. It's a bit of plastisizer and typical stuff that builds up.

Heh, my bad. It look so much like the gunk from my PA, I jumped to conclusions.

"rad dance", love it :D

Utnorris
06-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I have a few Koolance parts, mainly QD's. I had an TMS-200 that I had to RMA and they replaced it with a brand new one. I have a couple QD's, VL3N's that one will not fit onto the male connector and two others where the inner part is starting to stick. I will probably RMA them. Other than that I have been happy with my Koolance purchases. The only reason I haven't gone with the newer GPU's is because they have gone up in price, yes it's justified, but with XSPC and Alphacool now offering HD6970 blocks at a third less it's hard for me to justify the increase in price just for mainly looks. I recommend Koolance all the time due to how great they are n service, they are in the U.S. and they have some friggin sweet products.

Waterlogged
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
...snip...

Good to see you got your "voice" back, be a little more careful next time you rant. ;)

Vicey
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I've not used koolance blocks myself but I have used their SLI/Crossfire bridge connector and I just wanted to say that mine leaked first time, the instructions said to tighten it only by hand, which is what I did and this caused a very small leak which started as soon as I moved my case after leak testing it on my desk. I had to use needle nose pliers to tighten it and fully compress the O-Ring. I'm not writing this to discourage the use of the connector because it looks great and works fine but I wanted to educate as obviously reading the instrucktions meant I was unable to tighten it to the adequate amount required by using just my hand. I've since bought quick disconnects by Koolance which I can't stop raving about. They are a great buy too.

Overall my opinion of Koolance is of a company selling high end equipment I've seen their blocks in friends loops and they look great, I've never heard them once complain about it either.

TJ TRICHEESE
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I use mostly koolance parts now, because of the quality of construction and looks.

Koolance accidentally sent me some fixed sli connectors instead of the adjustable ones, so a quick email and they sent me a pair of adjustable ones and didn't even ask for the other ones back! Great service :up:

N19h7m4r3
06-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I've been using the Koolance 4870x2 block since it came out and it's superb, not the mention they 350 cpu block.
Their compression fittings are also top notch!

Nothing but happy with their products, hell I even still wear the T-Shirt I got off them.

mdzcpa
06-18-2011, 06:29 AM
I've been using 100% Koolance parts in my watercooling setups the last 2 yearts. My current kit consists of the GPU-370, 2x VID-AR697, HX-CU1020VS rad, RP-1000BK pump/res combo, all tied together with their slick quick disconnect fittings. Last year I ran a similar set up except I was using the CPU-360 and a pair of VID-AR587s. I have to confess that performance met or beat most of my custom loops from previous builds. When I tore the loop down after 18 months to swap in the 370 and AR697s, I was amazed at how clean the 360 and AR587s were...in fact a simple cleaning and I recycled those blocks into my son's rig.

Of particular positive impression were the vid blocks. Although a bit expensive, the KL vid blocks perform very well regardless of orientation and have great fit and finish build quality to them. They open, clean, and re-assemble easily.

Some of the WC snobs out there do not think highly of Koolance, but unless you've tried there recent kit the last few years for yourself, you may not be aware of how well their product has improved. I've used all the best over the years, and I can attest that the KL stuff stacks up very well now days.

NaeKuh
06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
LOL..

guys all the thanks needs to go out to Dean and Tim for having Faith in listening to us.

This is what was important.

Without Dean coming to me and others and asking for help, and Tim supporting Dean, Koolance would not be where its at right now.

And Tim continues trying to hard for us, so u cant go wrong with koolance as of this moment.

naokaji
06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I've used a Koolance FC Block on my 4870x2 until I got rid of the card, only "problem" with the block was that it was a fingerprint magnet, but then that can be seen as positive as well, just leave a Koolance block somewhere around the House and if someone kills you the Cops have a full set of perfect finger prints even if the killer chopped off his hands while he was still 10 miles away:D