PDA

View Full Version : Full setup for 2600k and 6970

Konny
06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I got a 2600k and an early sapphire 6950 2gb unlocked to full 6970.
At the moment I am with a Venomous X (with 2x zalman F3 1800rpm push-pull fans) on the CPU and stock cooler on the gpu.

The cpu is overclocked to 4.7ghz for 24/7 use and needs ~1.36v to reach that 100% stably (and I mean 100%, like 20 hours linX AVX). It can go almost 100% stable to 4.8 with more voltage and ~90% stable to 4.9 but with a lot of voltage and unreal temps, that's why I settled for 4.7.

Well the thing is I need to change the cooler on the 6950 because the stock one sux, its both noisy and doesnt allow me to OC almost not at all...I am forced to run at 6970 speeds and nothing more. But my research has shown that the good coolers like Shaman or Accelero Xtreme plus (and a card of this wattage needs such a cooler, there is no other serious option) go upwards of 50-60 euros and also have shortcomings. The shamman needs like 4 pci slots which is ridiculous and will not fit cause of my raid5 controller, and the accelero is so long that will hit my hot swap hdd cages.

So because of the price and these problems I started thinking a bit about a watercooling loop. I mean if I save ~60 euros by not buying the gpu cooler and also sell my venomous for another 40 (which is easily doable) I got 100 euros to begin with. With about another 100e (200 euros total) I think I can build a decent watercooling serup for these 2 components, right?

Well first think I want to ask, is can I expect something more, like 5ghz fully stable on the 2600k for 24/7 use? I like this round number...
And then, for these 2 components, what radiator size should I be looking for to be completely sure it won't hold my temps back? I don't plan on adding any other gpu to the loop later, at most I could change the cpu for an Ivy bridge (so no more wattage really) in 1-2 years, and the gpu for another beast in 2 years (maybe a little more wattage, nothing seriously more) so I don't really need futureproofing, just something that will be enough for sure to reach good temps (to the poing that no bigger rad would help...)

Other than that, I am looking at value4money blocks (I want a generic gpu block not a full cover) and a decent pump, but in the begining I am mostly concerned about the radiator because it will greatly effect whether my loop can fit inside the case (stacker 830 but heavily cramped with 10 disks, huge 1100W psu without modular cables etc) or not...

matari
06-08-2011, 09:03 PM
With 200 euro it is possible to get you CPU cooled but the budget would be tight for much more. Maybe if you choose a low cost CPU cooler it might be possible. For a radiator, I would not go anything less than a 3x120mm or 360. If your card is reference design, then go for a full cover. With an OC card, your VRM/Ram going to get very hot.

1adad1
06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
EK Supreme LTX intel
EK XT 360
EK VGA Supreme HF
Laing + XSPC top+expansion tank
Bitspower mini fittings 19/13
primochill tubes 19/1

it is a little bit over 200€.

matari
06-08-2011, 10:44 PM
I would not reconmend any EK nickel plated blocks atm.