PDA

View Full Version : multimeters.......

sandman
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm in need of a multimeter, I've been told that a fluke multimeter is best, but what is the difference?

Couldf anyone recommend me a fairly inexpensive multimeter that they have used or seen that would work well for Vmods and the like.

Techmasta
01-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Extech is another good brand. I like the Extech Minitec autoranging digital multimeter. It also measures temps from 0-760C.
http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=33893&cat_prefix=4WA

sandman
01-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Ouch, that was about 3 times what I was hoping to pay.......

Is there anything under like say $50 that would be fine for doinf volt mods? I mean, I don't need a temp probe, or a real fancy multimeter.

Jeff
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I bought this one a few weeks ago...
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=158102-72068-DM-55

$30 and it even includes a temperature probe. ;)

Radio Shack also sells some good-n-cheap DMMs. I've had a pocket DMM from them for the past 10 years.

Jeff
01-21-2004, 05:49 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25815

sandman
01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks Jeff, looks like a winner.

What range of temps does it measure? been happy with it so far?

Techmasta
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by sandman
Ouch, that was about 3 times what I was hoping to pay.......

Is there anything under like say $50 that would be fine for doinf volt mods? I mean, I don't need a temp probe, or a real fancy multimeter.

Its only 40 bucks. You were looking at the kit. The kit comes with a ton of accessories. The basic DMM comes with the test leads and temp probe.

Jeff
01-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by sandman
Thanks Jeff, looks like a winner.

What range of temps does it measure? been happy with it so far?

Yes, I'm very happy with it. :) I've measured -10f to 70f and the temperatures have been accurate so far. For $30 I don't have a single negative thing to say about it.

BTW, battery life is not what I'm used to. So far this 9v battery has been left on for days on end a couple times and it hasn't pooped out. My old RS pocket DMM would have only lasted through one of these sessions before needing it's button battery replaced.

Stang_Man
01-22-2004, 10:15 AM
i got a nice craftsman dmm for about 40 bucks :)

sandman
01-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Jeff, I think I'll go with it.

LikwidKool
01-23-2004, 09:48 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071433417&category=294&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

I just got this one on eBay for $30+shipping. My $5 bargain bin dmm is just not cutting it. Yeah it gives me readings but how accurate are they?!

I wish I saw that greenlee one at Lowes. I would have liked to pick that one up. I still might!

`schr0et
01-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Just stop by your local Radio Shack or hardware store and pick up a 10-20$ multimeter, all you really need my friend.

I have a Radio Shack multimeter that I bought for 20 bucks that works perfect and it has digital display so I'm happy.

Karnivore
01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
As others suggested, unless you have money to burn, go over to Radio Shack, spend around $30.00, you'll have a long lasting tool that will be plenty good for any Voltage measurements you'll need to make. Yes Fluke makes quality, however no reason to pay for that quality for your intended purposes.

Vlad Draculea
01-26-2004, 06:43 PM
multimeters? my ass, they doesnt serve at all for groving potatos, please remain ontopic

toolbox
02-01-2004, 12:05 AM
OMG wrong link, I look like an idiot.

I got the pocket one, its pretty good. It auto adjusts so it takes all the fun out.

Jvlk
02-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Find the cheapest digital Multi you can find....No need for expensive multimeters.

LikwidKool
02-14-2004, 07:02 PM
see I can't agree with buying the cheapest. I had a $5 special one from AutoZone and used it for a while. Well, I got the new one I linked to above and it's voltage reading are almost .05 lower than the crap one on the vgpu of my 9800pro. I confirmed this with other readings too. Now with some vmods .05 could spell disaster.

Therefore while $30 is by far not a lot of money it is a lot better to spend that than $5. I think there is a lot bigger difference between the $30 and the $5 than the $30 and say a $100 Fluke.

Plus I just like the temp probe!;)

soccrstar
02-21-2004, 05:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3079241514&category=294

Digital Multimeter model UT33C with temperature probe capability

The temp probe has a range of -40C to 1000C or -40 F to 1832 F. Battery is included as well.

20 bucks

not bad

nailbomb
02-23-2004, 06:23 AM
I just got a used Fluke 12b in good shape for 25 bucks.

Question: it has a sticker on it from Bosch, that says "calibration" and a bar code. What exactly does that denote?

Also, how can I check it to make sure its giving accurate reading. I got Fluke's service manual for it, but you have to have their test equipment to test it.

Karnivore
02-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by nailbomb
I just got a used Fluke 12b in good shape for 25 bucks.

Question: it has a sticker on it from Bosch, that says "calibration" and a bar code. What exactly does that denote?

Also, how can I check it to make sure its giving accurate reading. I got Fluke's service manual for it, but you have to have their test equipment to test it.

Decent deal, some electronics repair require you have your measurement equipment officially calibrated, one such instance is in the repair of Government communications equipment. The bar coding probably has info encoded about when, where, and by whom the last calibration was made.

The easiest way to check accuracy is to measure some known quanities, or to compare it with other measurement devices. barring that sending it to Fluke, or another service center. If I had no other resources to check relative accuracy perhaps a trip to a local TV /electronics repair shop would do, they should be willing to check it out for little or nothing.

joni
02-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Try to measure regular batteries, ie use 2 batts (1.5v each) for 3v reading.

-just an idea-

Karnivore
02-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by joni
Try to measure regular batteries, ie use 2 batts (1.5v each) for 3v reading.

-just an idea-

Unfortunately battery voltage can vary greatly and wouldn't be a very accurate measure.

joni
02-25-2004, 12:38 PM
The easiest way to check accuracy is to measure some known quanities

Could you give an example?

I don't even know what "quanities" means!:confused: , my English-Portuguese dictionary don't have that word!

Karnivore
02-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by joni
Could you give an example?

I don't even know what "quanities" means!:confused: , my English-Portuguese dictionary don't have that word!

I guess a good place to start would be to Check your Computers PSU voltages, read with your multimeter, and compare to readings given by on-board monitors through monitoring software such as Motherboard Monitor. This obviously is not 100% accurate, as it relies on unknown values. However it will give you a relative idea. To be certain it would be best to have aonther DMM to compare it with, or as I stated, visit a local Electronic repair center.

Quantity= Amount, or Value

Main Entry: quan·ti·ty
Pronunciation: 'kwän-t&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English quantite, from Middle French quantité, from Latin quantitat-, quantitas, from quantus how much, how large; akin to Latin quam how, as, quando when, qui who -- more at WHO
1 a : an indefinite amount or number b : a determinate or estimated amount c : total amount or number d : a considerable amount or number -- often used in plural <generous quantities of luck -- H. E. Putsch>
2 a : the aspect in which a thing is measurable in terms of greater, less, or equal or of increasing or decreasing magnitude b : the subject of a mathematical operation c : an individual considered with respect to a given situation <an unknown quantity... as attorney general -- Tom Wicker>
3 a : duration and intensity of speech sounds as distinct from their individual quality or phonemic character; specifically : the relative length or brevity of a prosodic syllable in some languages (as Greek and Latin) b : the relative duration or time length of a speech sound or sound sequence
4 : the character of a logical proposition as being universal, particular, or singular

joni
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore

Quantity= Amount, or Value

Main Entry: quan·ti·ty
Pronunciation: 'kwän-t&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English quantite, from Middle French quantité, from Latin quantitat-, quantitas, from quantus how much, how large; akin to Latin quam how, as, quando when, qui who -- more at WHO
1 a : an indefinite amount or number b : a determinate or estimated amount c : total amount or number d : a considerable amount or number -- often used in plural <generous quantities of luck -- H. E. Putsch>
2 a : the aspect in which a thing is measurable in terms of greater, less, or equal or of increasing or decreasing magnitude b : the subject of a mathematical operation c : an individual considered with respect to a given situation <an unknown quantity... as attorney general -- Tom Wicker>
3 a : duration and intensity of speech sounds as distinct from their individual quality or phonemic character; specifically : the relative length or brevity of a prosodic syllable in some languages (as Greek and Latin) b : the relative duration or time length of a speech sound or sound sequence
4 : the character of a logical proposition as being universal, particular, or singular

:eek:

Couldn't ask for more :)

thanks for the example :toast: