PDA

View Full Version : How much should I over clock my computer?

berries
01-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Here is my complete computer:

p4c800-e deluxe mobo
p4 2.8 m0 processor
1gb pc3700 corsair ram. platinum kind ver 1.1 ch5 i think
ati 9800 pro 128mb
ati tv-wonder tv card
audigy2 zs with out the front hub
maxtor 120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache hard drive.
lite-on dvd/rw
sony dvd player/cd-rw
Lian li pc 60 case
enermax 420w power supply
win xp pro

All cooling is stock. Stock 4 fans in the lian-li, and stock HSF on the chip. Right now I have temps in bios right when I start of around 105 on the chip and 80 in the case. Umm... what else? I usually run my computer 24/7 for months on end. I never shut it off. So I dont want nothing extreme, if I can pick up a few hundered mhz I'd be happy. Would I be able to run it 24/7 for months straight if I overclocked it to 3ghz? Or is that too much?

Also when I look in the bios it shows the rpm of the fans I have. The fan on the cpu and the fan on the back of the computer both have around 2200-2300rpm, and they both show that in white. Fan that is on the powersupply only shows 1500rpm or so and thats when I turn the fan speed dial all the way up and it shows it in red. Do I have some problem with my power supply?

Here is the power supply I have (http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/enermax/noisetaker-eg425p/main.htm)

Çhrist0ph
01-21-2004, 11:54 AM
3.0 - 3.2 ghz looks like a reasonable OC for stock cooling. It will probly run pretty hot, but not hot enough to significantly reduce the cpu's lifespan. Your best bet would be to upgrade your cpu heatsink to something inexpensive but effiecient such as a TT Volcano 7+ or anything by thermalright.

mkleingeld
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
A nice system you have there!

But noone can tell you how much you should oc.
Every component is different and how much it overclocks is partly due to luck.
just find it out for yourself where your stable limit is and what you feel comfortable with.
But with an average 2.8 and decent aircooling I think you should be able to do 3.3ghz or so.

kromosto
01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
as possible as you can :D

berries
01-21-2004, 12:07 PM
what about the power supply fan? should it be running that low or what? WHat does it mean when a value in bios is red instead of white?

skate2snow
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I think you can go higher then that, 2.8 M0 is about 3.6. so you can probably go even higher then that, but try try try try and try, its the only way to know

lalPOOO
01-21-2004, 02:58 PM
You should overclock it as high as you can stablly :D

Best way to find out is by first finding your maximum. Basicly just by bumping the fsb up and up and up until the thing won't boot (you don't need to go into windows for this) Then once you know at what speed it won't boot, you reset cmos and set the speed a bit below what it wouldn't boot at. Its best to set the ram to non agressive speeds while doing this, so that it doesn't become a limiting factor while testing. Once you find a speed that you can get into windows at, run prime95, or another 100% cpu utilization program to test for stability. If it crashes, up the cpu voltage and test again. If you can't do the speed at 1.65 volts you should probably back down a bit.

I generally do this with the case side off, and a bit of cool air from the window. This allows me to test without being afraid that something in my computers going to get cooked.

Once you know what your cpu is capabul (sometimes I forgot how to spell words..) of doing, you can then start to play with your ram settings, to find the fastest ram settings for your setup.

Also, while your checking for stability you'll want to be running a temperature montioring program in windows, such as Motherboard monitor, or whatever program asus advises. If you're going above 70, you will either want to lower the oc/voltage, or get a better heatsink/fan (I suggest the thermalright sp-94)

Good luck and happy overclocking.

edit: You should be able to hit around 3.3ghz for 24/7 but every chip is different.

skate2snow
01-21-2004, 03:02 PM
good guide lalPOOO