PDA

View Full Version : 980x Temps at stock.

Cookiesowns
05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I still Believe my temps are wack. The temps right before the cpu block is 27c after priming for about 2 minutes..

3.4Ghz 133x26 1.177V

VTT/QPI: 1.29V

You guys should know my loop order by now...

Primd ( 5 minutes ) seems to have equalized already.

Core0-5: 40,45,41,40,44,45

I'm still wondering if it's my loop or my god damn "F"ail batch.

Utnorris
05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Just looking at your overclock and voltage required in your thread I would say you have a "Hot" chip, but it's not like your temps are way off for a load. My 980x at 4.4Ghz with 1.34v gets to 60c-63c under a load from folding with a water temp of 30c roughly just to give you a reference. I am using 2 x quads and 1 x triple for rads and have everything in one loop, cpu, 2 x hd6970's and FC MB block.

On a side note: Did you try setting your PLL voltage to 1.42v to see if you could get better overclocks?

Cookiesowns
05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Just looking at your overclock and voltage required in your thread I would say you have a "Hot" chip, but it's not like your temps are way off for a load. My 980x at 4.4Ghz with 1.34v gets to 60c-63c under a load from folding with a water temp of 30c roughly just to give you a reference. I am using 2 x quads and 1 x triple for rads and have everything in one loop, cpu, 2 x hd6970's and FC MB block.

On a side note: Did you try setting your PLL voltage to 1.42v to see if you could get better overclocks?

I have my PLL around 1.42-1.46 when I hit the 4.4 mark. But I don't recall trying it when I hit 4.6ghz, can't remember I might have.

Okay well, heres the problem, before when I had my single quad loop for the 980x, the temps were perfect. 66c max on the hottest core at 4.4ghz with 1.423V

To add: what is intel's RMA policy on these 1000$ chips :/

Been priming for 15 minutes now. loop temps are at 29c right before the CPU. core0-5: 43,46,43,42,46,46

I think It's still the contact/mounting pressure. I think I might have to rebuild/reloop once again :P or I'll rma at the same time.

Utnorris
05-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I hear, haven't done it, that Intel RMA is pretty easy, just call them and they issue it. Have your original heatsink handy, they may want the serial number off of it, not sure why.

At least your temps are with a few degrees of each other. I have a 12c spread on my cores.

Cookiesowns
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I hear, haven't done it, that Intel RMA is pretty easy, just call them and they issue it. Have your original heatsink handy, they may want the serial number off of it, not sure why.

At least your temps are with a few degrees of each other. I have a 12c spread on my cores.

As soon as OC, it might vary to even about 8-10C between the cores.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but as soon as I drop prime. All the cores even out to about 24-25c and stays even.. hm.

Utnorris
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Mine is just about the opposite, under heavy load they are more even, while idling I have about 12c difference from lowest to highest. I tried remounts and different blocks, same results. Figured the IHS had an uneven solder underneath.

jikdoc
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
cookie - your temps aren't that bad. when i was running a single cpu loop, my temps at 4.4 1.35v were about mid 60s under load. what is the water temp right after the cpu? my cpu out temp is about 3 degrees higher than cpu in temp on idle. i wouldn't rma yours, it's nice that all your cores are the same temp at idle. i'm currently running 2 d5's, hk3.0 cpu block, re3 mobo block, aquacomputer 580 sli blocks, mips ram block, 360 & 240 rads
utnorris - my cpu behaves more like yours, wacky 8 degree difference between cores at idle and a little less under load. i thought it was an uneven IHS as well since i remounted it a few times. even considered buying a screwdriver with that displays the force you're applying to get a perfectly even mount

NaeKuh
05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
u cant ask for temp advice because each chip is YMMV.

we can diag the loop, but diaging temps on the cpu is difficult.

This is why skinnee and Vapor always need to use the same cpu, or there tests become invalidated on a cross comparison.

Cookiesowns
05-24-2011, 11:11 PM
cookie - your temps aren't that bad. when i was running a single cpu loop, my temps at 4.4 1.35v were about mid 60s under load. what is the water temp right after the cpu? my cpu out temp is about 3 degrees higher than cpu in temp on idle. i wouldn't rma yours, it's nice that all your cores are the same temp at idle. i'm currently running 2 d5's, hk3.0 cpu block, re3 mobo block, aquacomputer 580 sli blocks, mips ram block, 360 & 240 rads
utnorris - my cpu behaves more like yours, wacky 8 degree difference between cores at idle and a little less under load. i thought it was an uneven IHS as well since i remounted it a few times. even considered buying a screwdriver with that displays the force you're applying to get a perfectly even mount

I just checked my idle temps again. There pretty even, one is 3C off from the others, but every core else is around 1-2c in between each other.