PDA

View Full Version : POPUP Programs & Others

wookie
01-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Just wondering what some of the best freeware programs are that you people use. Be it popup blockers or adware removal utilities just curious. And also for those of us with deep pocket books what about programs that cost money... What is the best of the best of must have utilities ?

Thanks

skate2snow
01-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Ad-aware is very good;)

This is not the place for this tread, i know its the most popular so= more reply but you cant start it here;)

Stang_Man
01-20-2004, 07:12 PM
wrong forum, but...

I like using Panicware's Pop-Up Stopper Companion (small toolbar, very neat)..

and using Ad-Aware 6 :)

Twisted
01-20-2004, 07:14 PM
I just use mozilla firebird (http://mozilla.org/products/firebird/)

XtremepH
01-20-2004, 07:15 PM
i use a program called proxomitron that works extremely well on blocking pop-ups and other nuisances. http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.shtml

wookie
01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks and I figured it was the wrong forum but couldnt find one that was software specific (mind you I probably could have searched harder or I may be blind) but thanks for the replies.

faruquehabib
01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
ad-aware and spybot - search and destroy

Nevrsadie
01-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Google has a cool IE toolbar that blocks popups. I use that with Spybot S&D. Works well.:frag:

sky
01-21-2004, 12:49 AM
yea that google bar is cool in it's own way - saves a good deal of time by just typing what you want and it is also pretty decent for killing popups. well it doesn't kill them all andday before yesterday it actually went ape on me. almost killed my ring (killed as in lockup, nothing serious ;) ). some popup it tried to kill actually made the screen all gray and every once in a while the titlebar of ie was flipping past - did take a good deal of alt-f4 to get by that (some minutes!).

anyway, besides that ad aware is another very good tool. i use it periodically to search my system for any dangerous/forbidden registry entries and all that. it kills everything that looks suspicious like entries in your favourites, cookies, blabla and of course registry entries. good combo so far.

throw in a good sw-firewall and a hw-firefall plus something like antivir and your basically set.

the progs listed above are all free.

a question to the guys using spybot. is that the "original" spybot developped by some guys from trsi toolrevolution or sth completely different? if it's the trsi bit, it started out as a tracing tool.

IFMU
01-21-2004, 04:33 AM
Another option is using Opera as a browser. It has a built in pop up killer, very nice IMO. With many other perks. ;)

PyroTeknik
01-21-2004, 08:14 AM
google/ad-aware6

kokoro_kara
01-21-2004, 08:58 PM
I like Avant ( a make over of IE). Blocks all pop ups and has roboform, a password manager that works great.