PDA

View Full Version : 3 way sli GTX 480 build system-need help please ?

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Hello everybody!
I am new in Liquid Cooling. Somebody can help me please?
I want to build really very powerfull Liquid Cooling system!
Here is my spec what i need to cool for very low temp. I dont want chillers.....
I7 950
Asus Rampage III Extreme
3 GTX 480 Super Overclocked
The case what can i use is Mountain Mods Extended Ascension.
In this moment i have waterblock for motherboard..
I want to chose best parts for great succes. I want to get very low temp for my system
I need support how many parts i need to buy , radiators and pumps also the most powerfull please
KING REGARDS!:up:

defect9
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
what are your design goals? most overclock headroom? lowest temperature to air delta? quiet? bling? low cost? (okay, obviously not low cost). an award winner in something?

next, check the stickies if you havent already and get an idea of what is involved.

also, what is your definition of 'low temp'? to me, 50c is low enough. to some, having their stuff never go beyond 5c above the ambient temperature isn't low enough. Set your goals first, otherwise we're just throwing product links at you and hoping you know what to do with them.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
well! so i want is well nice design! of course i'm will overclock my system, thats why i
want most powerfull Liquid Cooling system!
Also everybody wants to get more low temp!

defect9
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
you're missing the point. what are your target goals in measurements that can be quantified. "most powerful" could be something like 14 pumps in paralell. or 79 radiators. or... you get the picture.

is 5c above ambient a good target for your cpu under load? or 10c above your room's ambient? or 1c? and is that for the CPU, the GPUs, or for everything that the delta goal applies?

what about fitting it all inside your case? is that important? I ask because 79 radiators wouldnt fit.

do you want it to adjust fan speed under load and ramp down when you're idling? or does going full out 24/7 not bother you?

do you have any knowledge in electronic theory, as in, could you understand setting up a control module to control your fans based on temparature?

and what research have you done into this project?

Edit* what's your budget?

Utnorris
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I was going to say "Do you have a budget?", but got beat to it. With that case you have a lot of options, what is the configuration of the MM case? Does it have 9 120mm fan holes on the front? Is it a horizontal MB or vertically placed MB? It sounds like you want to cool the MB, CPU and GPU's, is that correct?

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
it so many questions for one time.... i am new.......
- so i dont need something like 14 pumps in paralell. or 79 radiators. or... it is two much .... i mean some like 2 or 3 pumps , what do you think?
-about radiators , i have MM case i can show you
-of course i want to regulate fan speed under load and ramp down .
-i have not much knowledge in electronic theory,

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Would you help me to build this please??
My budget is around 500 -700 USD
KING REGARDS

defect9
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you should take the time to wander through the stickied threads, learn more about what water cooling does, how it works, why it works, what to expect and what not to do, etc. Because if you just jump in head first without really having a clue of this stuff, you're going to be very dangerous to your system. I don't want to see you ruin everything you've put your hard earned money into because of an accident that could have been prevented with a little knowledge.

so, take a couple weeks, really absorb the information on this forum, and you'll come away much smarter and better equipped to pull off this build. You'll be thanking yourself for it when it's all said and done.

theseeker
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Would you help me to build this please??
My budget is around 500 -700 USD
KING REGARDS

Which company will you be buying your water cooling parts from? Your budget will allow for a very nice cooling system.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:14 PM
ok my DEAR friend! It is a true!
I am reading some links, but is so many stages.... My thinks is - 4 or 3 radiators with 3x120mm , probably heat exchanger , two or thre pumps ? also big reservoir.
THANKS FOR SUPPORT!
KING REGARDS!

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Well i am not sure, i am looking for advice...... Probably Danger DEN , Koolance?
Thanks

theseeker
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Well i am not sure, i am looking for advice...... Probably Danger DEN , Koolance?
Thanks

I meant which store? Aquatuning?

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I meant which store? Aquatuning?

I have no idea yet,,,, becouse it is a first time with this ... still looking where is better price and quality
REGARDS!:up:

theseeker
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I have no idea yet,,,, becouse it is a first time with this ... still looking where is better price and quality
REGARDS!:up:

I will try to help you.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I will try to help you.

I am will two happy to watch something!:clap:
Thanks to everybody!!!! xtremesystems.org it is really BEST support ! Great peoples here!!
KING REGARDS:up:

penguins
05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
We ALL will try to help you heh.

but you might need to slow down a little bit so we can get at what you need so you won't be disapointed.

also keep in mind each card's cooler is going to be ~99 USD new which is almost half your budget.. it's possible, you might have to pay a lot of attention to price however.

Also take great care in budgeting fittings.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi!
100 percent your thing is alright but i can to buy some of bloks like Kolance it is cheaper...
Thanks!

theseeker
05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
A quick budget update for you;

CPU cooler-EK HF $ 78.00
EK or Koolance FC 480's x 3 $ 300.00
480 Rads x 2 $ 200.00
2 x D'5 pumps Vario $ 150.00
2 x EK R2 Tops $ 80.00

The total is $808.00 USD and you can probably do better and make some changes. You still have to buy tubing, fittings, reservoirs and other parts.

Water cooling gets expensive!

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for respond!
We will correct the parts some other days....
KING REGARDS!

penguins
05-17-2011, 05:28 PM
His Majesty

pumps are expensive.

you won't be able to get the 'most powerful' pumps in your budget, and they aren't really the 'most powerful' lol.

there isn't really the possibility for that in this hobby, as someone will just hook up a car motor or something to create a more powerful pump and win.

you can spend 60 - 110 USD on a great pump. then add another 25 - 50 bucks for the pump top depending on how many you need.

Watercooling isn't cheap :)

Utnorris
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
By the looks of the case he can't fit two quads in that box, looks like a single quad and three triple rads at most. I would do a single quad and a single triple. To give you an idea here is an example:

CPU block - EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme LTX - Acetal+Nickel - $45

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_498_490&products_id=30480

GTX480 x 3 - XSPC - $85

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_240_587&products_id=27996

Rad x 1 - Koolance Radiator, 4x120mm, Copper Vert. - $76

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_673&products_id=25442

Rad x 1 - Koolance Radiator, 3x120mm, Copper Vert. - $60

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_673&products_id=25441

Pump x 1 - Swiftech MCP35X™ 12 VDC Pump - $100

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=29201

Res x 1 - Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir with 2 inlet ports - $25

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_666&products_id=29202

Total so far - $560. Granted, this is in the States, but the pricing shouldn't be too far off. Go with barbs and generic tubing like Masterkleer and you will be good to go. Not sure if it is better to order from the states or not considering the VAT and whatnot. You can also go used and find some stuff there in Europe and save a ton of money. The other option is a kit like this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_604&products_id=26995

Just add an additional rad and two more GPU only blocks. The GPU's don't have to be ultra low temps to perform the best, just better than air and almost any water cooling setup will do that. This is why I would do a quad and a triple rad which should be more than enough for that setup. If you wanted to break it into two loops putting the CPU on it's own rad and then the GPU's and MB block on the other, that would give you the best performance and your case has more than enough room for that. You do not have to go top of the line to get better than air cooling, so keep that in mind.

Check out the stickies like everyone has suggested, lots of good info and take your time planning it. Try to get everything from one place so you can save on shipping or look for some used parts to save money. Lastly, have fun with it and don't get frustrated if something does go right, patience is the key with water cooling.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Well guys!
Ok it some better looking now!
Next stage , The Koolance waterbloks is good or chose some better? I mean EK, XSPC, Swiftech, Black Ice.... somebody can tell me which radiators will be better?
Also i can mount to my case MM 3 radiators 3x120 mm ... so 3 radiators for my system will be good range??

Next stage about pumps
What pumps is really very good an powerfull? The Swiftech MCP655 is not better?

Another stage i am change my mind for CPU, i wanna use phase change....
So my system will be have some differnt situation.. Now is GPU and chipse northbridge??
Looking for advice please!
KING REGARDS!

defect9
05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
as far as which radiator is better, do you intend to mostly do slow, medium, or high speed fans? all around, the swiftechs are probably the absolute best bang for the buck, though their bang for buck does slow a tad above 1500rpm if you're looking for absolute max performance. I'd start there and build from that. Remember the pursuit of water cooling is a learning experience.

MCP655 is probably the most reliable, dutiful pump you'd need to look at. two of them is both smart (in a redundancy/safety aspect) and powerful.

stay away from phase change until you have a clue what you're doing at this point. You may not need phase to get what you want out of your system (though you'll always want more). it'd be like me saying "I want to make my car more powerful" and instead of starting with some bolt on parts to get an idea what I'm doing, I decide I need electronically controlled turbos, a nitrous system, and a sequential gearbox, and I'm going to install it myself, all without really having a clue what that much power will do or if it's really what I need, or the sheer amount of preparation the rest of the vehicle will require to use it without tearing itself apart. It'd honestly be smarter to build the water cooling loop first, and then after you have a handle on that, you can later remove the CPU from the loop for a phase unit. BTW phase is obnoxious unless you have a loud stereo, good headphones, or are deaf, or like noise-music such as Merzbow.

MAXIMUS.RAMPAGE
05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks my DEAR friend! of course i am will be watching and learn about this. i have yours links!!!
Let me know some about radiators if i'm will purchase Koolance it is good chose?
Thanks!

defect9
05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I believe one of the stickies I linked had Koolance radiators tested. shouldn't be that far off from most of the others. Radiators can only improve so much and stay cost effective.

Utnorris
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
There is not a big difference in the CPU blocks as far as performance, maybe 5 degrees from best to worst, so I would go with the one that fits your budget and you like the looks of. The Koolance and Swiftech have the easiest mounting systems with EK and their new "EZmount" right there. A lot of the EK blocks are now shipping with the "EZmount", just make sure it states that it comes with it. Rad wise, like it has already been stated before, the Swiftech, EK and Koolance are probably the best bang for the buck, with Swiftech probably being the most popular. As for the pump, the MCP655 is a good pump, get the variable model so it is easier to bleed the system since you can adjust the speed, plus you can make it silent with minimal flow loss. If you plan on doing a single loop with CPU, MB and GPU's all in one loop I would look at a dual pump setup such as two MCP355's and dual top for the best performance. However, something like the Swiftech MCP35x will probably handle that loop just fine.