PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat Academy Course

IFMU
01-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Ok, Im interested in checking into this course thats being opened at the local Vo-Tech course. I went in today and put in the application. Due to it not being a full term schooling course, it wont allow for most of the financial aids that are available. So there is only 1 that is, the Sallie Mae Loan. :rolleyes:
Well, there are 2 courses, one is a basic intro, the next is system admin training. The test is after the course, each course is $1500 and the test is $300 something.
First thing Im curious about is what are the odds of being able to pull off getting that loan? My credit isnt all that, its getting better, but still has some problem areas that Im working on.
Next, the course starts out as basic training, under the presumption that you have no Linux knowledge. So, its a good thing for me! lol Now that is something Im interested in is what kind of things could I do to get a little bit of a head start on this? It starts in a couple months, so I have some headway. Maybe some sites to read, books to buy?

Ideas? Even any ideas on ways to get the loan I might need for it.

Thanks

IFMU

Smizack
01-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Buy a Red Hat bible, and read your ass off. I used to work with an extremely linux smart admin (he even works for the gov) anyway he went to take the test, and just bombed it.

sjohnson
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Smizack is probably more tuned to the course/exam issues. I learned from the ground up, Linux is my "second language" UNIX. Guys walking in off the street "RedHat" qualified are pretty n00b for OTJ readiness.

Most really good admins I've known just liked what they did and worked their way up without coursework.

This sounds like a sponsored course - designed to "qualify" employees for a perceived task. $1500 for a less-than semester course? Sounds high, which makes it look like a corporate qualification course.

What will certification get you? I did MCSE for NT 3.51 on my own, I read my butt off and paid for the tests. Landed me a better job, that was my goal, else I'd never have done it. The test sucked and hit on a LOT of issues I never ever saw on the job. Overall a good choice for me at the time, however.

IFMU
01-20-2004, 10:12 PM
As for what it gets me exactly Im not totally sure. There are 2 8 week courses, yea a bit expensive IMO too...
Reading Linux books would be like trying to read The Lord of the Rings in Klingon. I have yet to see a true stupids user guide to any OS. I have tried time and time again to just install it and 'go with it'. Each time, as Smiz knows, I get into hassles and end up not being able to find any sort of help anywhere. Between posting here, Overclockers forums and even a Linux Newbie website, Ive received about shiz for actual help.
Every once in a while someone will help me a bit, as Smiz has a couple times, but then they have to move on and do other things. So, once I really start picking it up, I loose any help and then blah blah...pisses me off, format and do windows again till I get enough nerve to repeat.
Im hoping with the course if nothing else I will be able to learn the most basics that I really need to learn that most arent willing to try to explain.

sjohnson
01-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah - hands on with some knowledgeable folks is how I learned. Truly lucky, I did UNIX for years with some outstanding minds and talent. Linux was an upstart when I began with it, did it just for sh*ts and giggles in my spare time at home.

Anyway, maybe you can hook up with some like-minded people at the course and work it out together!

Doing some hands-on over the internet or even over the phone is rough. Ask Dale, we spent maybe two hours on the phone doing a SuSE install and I barely touched the surface.

IFMU
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Ah yea, as a note to the thread, I did post this one XtremeSystems and on Overclockers forums.
O/C Forums thread (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263928).

Smizack
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I kind of agree with the "distro specific" complaint. But weather or not you stay with RH, it would be a benefit.

IFMU
03-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Well, thought I would update. I filed for the loan, twas accepted. So, within the next 2 weeks Ill be getting the loan for the courses, and a bit more. The classes start in just over 2 weeks as well. So, that should be rather interesting.

As for what it gets me, I went to an open house on it and found out some details, minor, but a few.
1st, the 1st course, gets yea squat. Just basic Linux knowledge.
2nd course, and the exam if passed you get the RH Tech Cert. Or something to that effect.
They are apparently wanting to get a 3rd course too. This one is supposed to lead to the RH Engineer Cert. Or something to that degree/extent. Wish I wouldda know about that before, would have gotten a larger loan for the 3rd course and test to be covered.

sjohnson
03-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Enjoy:) Expecting big things from you, certified and all ;)

IFMU
03-16-2004, 05:33 AM
LoL