PDA

View Full Version : New DoubleSight DS-307W Review

jmm5351
05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I decided to start a new thread about this awesome monitor. I just received my DoubleSight DS-307W about a week and a half ago and might I say it is spectacular. I've decided to do a little review on the monitor because it has been for sale out on the market for months and there is absolutely no information about it (besides what is on DoubleSight's website), not enough pictures, and no reviews yet. I was definitely hesitant to purchase this monitor without the presence of reviews and information available and especially from reading reviews on the earlier models the DS-275W and DS-305W. So here I go.

I have experience with the Dell U2711, and also with the HP ZR24W and I go to school at Penn State and they use a lot of Dell U2211H's in their labs so I am not new to IPS panels. Although this is the first IPS panel that I have owned.

Firstly there are some key differences between the new DS-307W and the older DS-305W. The new DS-307W has added height and swivel adjustments and also built in speakers. The DS-307W supports 1.07 Billion colors (10 bit) but the DS-305W only supports 16.7 Million colors (8 bit). Also the DS-307W has an OSD now, the DS-305W does not. The DS-305W only has a Dual Link DVI. The DS-307W has a Dual Link DVI, 2 VGA, HDMI, Component Video (Y, Pb, Pr), Sound Connector (Red/White), PC Audio In and Out, SPDIF Digital Audio Connector, and has a USB input supposedly just used for future firmware updates (I have not tried using the USB port so I don't know if it will function as a normal USB port). Those are the only differences between the two models, I think correct me if I am wrong.

Doublesight's webpage they claim the monitor is S-IPS but it is not. I took a few pictures of the pixels and you can see that the DS-307W uses H-IPS which doesn't bother me any since H-IPS is a newer variant of S-IPS and H-IPS is suppose to provide more accurate, or better, contrast ratio's over S-IPS and both types basically have the same viewing angles. I do not know how to bring up the service menu of the monitor, I tried almost everything. It doesn't show how to anywhere in the user's manual included with the monitor (The user manual can be downloaded from DoubleSight's webpage, it is too large to attach it here on the forum) so I don't know the model number or who makes the panel. Just know that it's H-IPS. The entire housing of the monitor is all aluminum and also the bezel is aluminum. Its a nice feature to help keep the monitor cool (its like a giant heat sink) and it also looks aesthetically pleasing. As far as the touch buttons go, they are very nice to navigate with. They are super sensitive though but it doesn't make them hard to use. It takes about a minute or so of pressing them to get used to their responsiveness. They are so sensitive that sometimes your finger could be a millimeter from the button and that is enough to activate the touch button. This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it does. But again I have used many monitors with touch buttons and these are definitely the nicest I have ever used. They press every time you touch it without a hitch. I normally hate using touch buttons because as you all know they are just crummy, but the touch buttons on this monitor are indeed very nice. I did not have another monitor to compare it to, so I used my HP-DM1Z w/AMD-E350 CPU/GPU laptop just so you have an idea. I know this is not an ideal comparison but it is something. The brightness and vibrancy is cranked all the way up on the HP laptop and the brightness on the DS-307W is set at 26%. The height adjustment works very well and it is very easy to adjust the monitor height. It feels very smooth and to put it in other words it feels perfect. Same thing again for the swivel feature, it also feels natural and perfect. DS did a great job with monitor adjustments. My friend has a Dell-U2711 and the DS height adjustment feels better than the Dell. Just more smooth while moving it up or down. The Anti-Glare coating on the monitor seems like it isn't even there which is great. I am not sure if it works or not because my room doesn't have much sunlight at all, but I know the coating seems like its not present on the screen. It doesn't at all change the way how things look when viewing the screen. There is absolutely no input lag or any ghosting at all. NONE! I play Crysis 2, StarCraft II, Civilization V, Call of Duty MW2, and more and the monitor is fantastic. There were no deal/stuck pixels either, the bezel and the DoubleSight logo is securely attached to the monitor and is not going to peel off (I read reviews of people saying this about the earlier models this would occur on some of the monitors with both the bezel and the logo), and text is not too small when viewing webpages on native resolution. I would say it is actually just right. It is a little smaller than a 24" 1080P but not too small that you have to squint or try hard to read text. This monitor also does get very bright and in the OSD you can change the back light brightness, can set the sRGB levels, has preset color temperatures, can change contrast and sharpness, has built in speakers with volume adjustments (I can't say how well they work because I am using other speakers and have a dual link DVI cable connected to the monitor), can change the aspect ratio, it does have a sleep timer you can set, you can change the OSD horizontal and vertical positioning on the screen, how long the OSD menu takes to disappear off the screen, you can turn on/off Dynamic Contrast Ratio, has an Economy Mode, and more(Everything is in the user manual you can download from their site). There is also very minimal back light bleed as you can see from the photo. My room was in complete darkness when I took the picture of the screen to show the back light bleed. It is negligible. But this is what I would expect of a more expensive monitor as this one.

Here is the link to the photos I took. They were too large to post here on the forum >https://picasaweb.google.com/111445979958668056887/DS307WMonitor?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbj0qD8-ezibA#

The camera that I used made the picture of the monitor look sort of saturated. This is not the monitor it is definitely the camera that I used. It is a Canon PowerShot G9 so it isn't the best camera but a decent one. The colors of the monitor are not the slightest bit over saturated. I added another picture of a screen shot using Windows Snipping tool instead of the camera of the same background image so you can see now that the colors are not saturated. It is the very first image. And I did not use anything fancy to color calibrate this monitor, I just used the native tool that is a feature of Windows 7. The monitor is super close to being perfectly calibrated for color. If you put it next to a monitor that was professionally calibrated, you more than likely wouldn't spot any differences. Included is a picture of my friends U2711 showing the amount of back light bleeding on his monitor. I forgot my camera so he used his. Apparently this is his second monitor because the first one he received he said the back light bleeding was terrible so he got a second one and he said its much better. You can't notice any back light bleeding on his monitor when using it unless it is a black screen.

Let me know if you want any other photos or have any questions, I may have forgot to include something you may want to know about.

Frag Maniac
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Well thanks for the review and pics jim. I was about to say the colors look saturated a bit, but then you explained why. I did see some noticeable flash lighting in all 4 corners in the blank screenshot though, mostly on the left two corners. In fact it was more than I expected to see at only 26% brightness. I imagine it's only noticeable when the screen is blank though. BTW, I didn't know that display was 10 bit, those don't tend to show color banding, very nice.

jmm5351
05-15-2011, 07:16 PM
No problem its Jeff by the way :) The backlight bleeding you can see in the corners is only present on the all black screen. And its hard to explain but you actually really have to look hard at it to notice its presence. The camera amplified the light or something weird. If you were actually sitting in front of the monitor looking at the black screen its very difficult to notice the clouding. It's actually better than my buds U2711. It has uneven backlight distribution and the bleeding is worse compared to the 307W I got. From what I personally saw and read online it seems that all larger format monitors are going to have some backlight bleeding present unless you get that perfectly manufactured monitor out there which is pretty rare - Kind of like if you get the perfectly manufactured processor that overclocks higher than the rest that were produced. It does happen but not often. I have had the monitor now for over a week and never even noticed any backlight bleeding until today when I took that picture with the all black screen. I did not even know any backlight bleeding existed until now so I am happy with it :D Both are awesome monitors though. You have any idea how to open up the service menu in this beast.

Oh and I also added another picture. I took a screen shot using Windows Snipping tool instead of the camera of the same background image so you can see now that the colors are not saturated. It is the very first image. I updated the link in my first post but here it is too. https://picasaweb.google.com/111445979958668056887/DS307WMonitor?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbj0qD8-ezibA#

Frag Maniac
05-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I actually thought I saw an i in your screen name. Must have been all those vertical lines of the Ms. Yeah that shot looks sweet, MUCH more natural looking. And I believe you about the bleed compared to the U2711. Like you said most big panels are going to have some and it makes a big difference under what conditions it's viewed and photoed, and they can actually vary a fair bit from one display to another even in the same model.

At the end of the day though, like you said, it's only noticeable with a blank screen anyway. The only time I'd notice it is when the screensaver kicks in because I use blank screen for mine. Thanks again and glad you're enjoying it. Just wish I could afford that much for one. One last question. Are you using it on a desk, and what's your actual screen to eye viewing distance?

jmm5351
05-15-2011, 10:25 PM
I truly don't mind answering any questions you may have. Keep em coming :) But I am using it on a desk and I measured the distance to my face to give you an accurate number and I sit exactly 23 to 24 inches away from it. This is the vast majority of the time. Sometimes I may sit another few inches closer most likely about 19 to 20 inches. Tomorrow I'm going to take a picture of my friends U2711 backlight bleeding for reference and post it here because I'm going to be at his house anyways.

The stand that supports the monitor is pretty solid. If your desk is solid then the DS-307W's stand won't allow the monitor to move around at all. My desk is a cheap 120 dollar glass desk you can buy from Walmart or Staples and it does have some play in it. Surprisingly though the monitor doesn't sway at all. When I type on my keyboard and just use my pc normally the monitor is solid but I always like to rapidly move my right leg up and down all the time (a weird habit lol) and if I have my foot resting on the metal support of my desk everything shakes Haha. So I learned to put my foot on the floor now instead of my desks metal support posts.

Frag Maniac
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Wow, 24" is very close for that size display. I don't think I would like that. That's about how far I sit from my 22" (20" viewable) Dell 4:3 CRT. And that's just for web surfing, when gaming, since the FOV in games is often narrow (esp at 4:3), I pull my pullout tray out a bit and sit farther back. I would estimate my viewing distance with current setup would be about 50" for a 30" display.

I got my desk used from Boeing Surplus (yeah, I live in "Jet City" as Queensryche would say). It measures 48" wide and 30" deep, and has a 1.25" MDF top and commercial grade heavy steel pullout. So the max distance I can get from the back of desk to the front edge of the pullout tray is close to 4'.

Be careful about desk wobbling. The display could be suffering from minor vibration and you might not even notice it. LCDs don't like vibration. I suggest tightening up the screws good on the desk and using thread locker on them, if not getting a more solid desk. I got mine and a used task chair for $25 several yrs ago. The only thing I had to do was buy a 4' piece of 2x2 hardwood I had the lumber shop cut in half and some walnut stain. I used the pieces of wood between the underside of the top and the steel legs to raise it up. It wasn't tall enough for my legs to fit under it.

jmm5351
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, 24" is very close for that size display. I don't think I would like that. That's about how far I sit from my 22" (20" viewable) Dell 4:3 CRT. And that's just for web surfing, when gaming, since the FOV in games is often narrow (esp at 4:3), I pull my pullout tray out a bit and sit farther back. I would estimate my viewing distance with current setup would be about 50" for a 30" display.

I got my desk used from Boeing Surplus (yeah, I live in "Jet City" as Queensryche would say). It measures 48" wide and 30" deep, and has a 1.25" MDF top and commercial grade heavy steel pullout. So the max distance I can get from the back of desk to the front edge of the pullout tray is close to 4'.

Be careful about desk wobbling. The display could be suffering from minor vibration and you might not even notice it. LCDs don't like vibration. I suggest tightening up the screws good on the desk and using thread locker on them, if not getting a more solid desk. I got mine and a used task chair for $25 several yrs ago. The only thing I had to do was buy a 4' piece of 2x2 hardwood I had the lumber shop cut in half and some walnut stain. I used the pieces of wood between the underside of the top and the steel legs to raise it up. It wasn't tall enough for my legs to fit under it.

Believe it or not in the user manual for the monitor it states to sit no closer than 16 inches and no further than 30 inches and the optimal viewing distance is 25 inches. Although it is more of a personal dereference. But sitting two feet away from the monitor you can see the entire screen nicely. It is literally perfect. So I tend to agree with what the manual says in this particular case. 30 inches is a good distance also but then I am too far away from my keyboard to type then because my desk is small. It is only 37 inches by 23.5 inches.

50 inches is way to far away for just doing regular computing things like surfing the web or what have you, but if your playing a game it would be fine. But at 24 to 30 inches it is perfect for both reading text and playing games. You can see the entire screen from that distance (You do have to move your eyes around just a tad bit but you don't have to move your neck around at all) and easily see everything in your peripheral vision. It feels like your at an IMAX theater or something because your pretty close to the screen. You feel very immersed in all the action that is taking place when watching a movie or playing a game. Its pretty awesome.

I definitely need a new desk this one is a POS. It is cramped for space and it wobbles. There is nothing I can do to keep it from wobbling. It is just cheaply manufactured. But I am on the hunt for a new desk. I have been looking actually for a good bit now because I want a nice wooden desk and a larger one but my room is cramped for space also, so I reckon the largest desk I can go is 48" long ideally but maybe up to 54". I definitely want it to be 30" deep though.

16floz470ml
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I might get one of these. Does the monitor have an external power supply like the last model? I like that feature.

jmm5351
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I might get one of these. Does the monitor have an external power supply like the last model? I like that feature.

Yes it does have an external power supply. It is about the size of a Xbox 360's power supply.

Frag Maniac
05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Believe it or not in the user manual for the monitor it states to sit no closer than 16 inches and no further than 30 inches and the optimal viewing distance is 25 inches.Not surprising, TV display manufacturers have been pushing closer distances lately, it comes from the so called optimal THX viewing distance, but they go rather overboard with it. It might be OK for web, but I'd never game at that distance on a screen that size. Then again they might be assuming most are buying it for pro photo work and such, and certainly then it would make more sense as they're still images and you need to be close to scrutinize over image details.

Me, I'd sit no closer than 30" for web and more like 4' for gaming.

miahallen
05-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the review :)

jmm5351
05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the review :)

No problem just glad I can help :welcome:

movingimage
11-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi!

Thank you for your very complete review. I am a Penn Stater as well....Maybe not so good to say now!

Anyway, I read a review elsewhere on the 'net that said "text is soft/blurry."

How would you rate the sharpness of the display? Is there any softness at the pixel level?

Best,
Joe

jmm5351
11-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi!

Thank you for your very complete review. I am a Penn Stater as well....Maybe not so good to say now!

Anyway, I read a review elsewhere on the 'net that said "text is soft/blurry."

How would you rate the sharpness of the display? Is there any softness at the pixel level?

Best,
Joe

Yea what ashame all the bad press Penn State is getting. But on a better note the DS-307W definitely does not have blurry text or softness to the pixels. It looks just as sharp if not sharper than my friends Dell U2711. Which ever IPS monitor you buy you won't be disappointed as they are all spectacular. But the DS-307W def doesn't have blurry text. The anti glare coating on the screen works well also and its much better than on my buds U2711. It can make his text look a little blurry because of the anti glare coating Dell uses. The Double Sight monitors aren't affected by the anti glare coating. It is like its not even there. But again which ever monitor you choose you will like a lot. I'm not sure where you read that review but they're certainly wrong about what they said. If you do decide to purchase the DS-307W or the DS-277W which is identical but just smaller in diagonal size you will see how wrong that review you read was. Which ever monitor you buy enjoy it.

movingimage
11-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks!

I went ahead and bought the 307. I got a refurb for $900 - couldn't pass it up. I'll report back once I have it.

Best,
J

jmm5351
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks!

I went ahead and bought the 307. I got a refurb for $900 - couldn't pass it up. I'll report back once I have it.

Best,
J

Nice. I want to hear what you think about it after you've received it. Be waiting to hear back. Congrats on a super spectacular monitor.

jmm5351
11-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks!

Best,
J

I was wondering if you had received your new monitor yet and if you did how is it?