PDA

View Full Version : win xp pro???!

berries
01-20-2004, 08:33 AM
I dont know if you people have read my other threads, but I have finally finished building my computer. It even works!... I think.... Anyway now its time for me to figure out which operating system to put on the computer. From what I read, most of you people prefer to use win xp pro. I would like to know what is the difference between win xp pro, and win xp home, since home costs 1/2 of what pro costs. Also what is the difference between win xp pro and win xp retail? Usually when you buy parts, the difference between pro and retail is better warranty and they give you some extra software and junk. What is the difference between win xp pro and retail. It cant be the warranty since the cds are worth nothing, you can just buy new ones for like $6. Do they give extra software with retail version or what? Thanks.

Soulburner
01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
XP is the best for daily use and gaming, however AMD CPU's will be slightly faster in a Win2k environment still.

Stang_Man
01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
there is no difference between home and pro for you. go for home, as professional has support for dual processors, and that's pretty much it.

also, can you for next time, post your topic in the right forum. :)

berries
01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
I use p4 2.8c chip. What is the difference between xp pro and xp home? And xp pro oem and xp pro retail?

Stang_Man
01-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by berries
I use p4 2.8c chip. What is the difference between xp pro and xp home? And xp pro oem and xp pro retail?

PRO has support for DUAL PROCESSORS. HOME does NOT.

OEM VS RETAIL? OEM has no box, just cd and S/N.

berries
01-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Stang_Man

Thanks for the info nerd. That makes you real cool, being an §§§§§§§ on an internet forum.

If you look at the time of my second post, and the time of your reply, you'll see that the time of both posts is exactly the same. Some one like you with around 1000 posts, and a mensa intellect should be able to figure out that I was probably replying to Soulburner, and started writing my reply before I even saw your post. While I was writing the reply you posted a few seconds before me, and thats why your message is in front of mine. But I guess you are too much of an §§§§§§§ to figure stuff like that out.

Stang_Man
01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info nerd. That makes you real cool, being an §§§§§§§ on an internet forum.

If you look at the time of my second post, and the time of your reply, you'll see that the time of both posts is exactly the same. Some one like you with around 1000 posts, and a mensa intellect should be able to figure out that I was probably replying to Soulburner, and started writing my reply before I even saw your post. While I was writing the reply you posted a few seconds before me, and thats why your message is in front of mine. But I guess you are too much of an §§§§§§§ to figure stuff like that out.

enzoR
01-20-2004, 09:44 AM
wohohohoho....... chill down berries. whats your problem? everyone here is just trying to help each other out. so what if both of you posted at the same time. ive read it twice now. am i missing something?

Tedinde
01-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Stangman is right about posting in the right forum and he did answer your question. So he was helping you twice.

So you should thank him. And ease up on the coffee or whatever.

Firelord-OCHW
01-20-2004, 11:19 AM
If you have a P4 HT do you need Pro or can you run home happily enough??

st0nedpenguin
01-20-2004, 12:08 PM
XP Pro also has more network related stuff thrown in, and tends to have a larger default install size, you should be able to pick up a copy of XP Pro OEM for around the same price as XP home retail, which is the best option I reckon.

enzoR
01-20-2004, 12:23 PM
huh price? as far as i knew all Windowz's are free

jaawood
01-20-2004, 12:24 PM
I would go with pro if I were you berries. I've used both pretty extensively, and pro is imensely easier to network with. I've always had problems with Home Edition - crashing, etc. But i suppose everyone has their different experiences. Some people like Windows ME a lot, but for others it was terrible. I think it's worth the extra $$ for pro.

st0nedpenguin
01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Ah, another thing, Remote Desktop only works with XP Pro properly, along with the whole smart screen technology.

I'll probably think of more in about 5 minutes. :D

berries
01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Tedinde
Stangman is right about posting in the right forum and he did answer your question. So he was helping you twice.

So you should thank him. And ease up on the coffee or whatever.

Stangman has got an attitude I dont like. He replied using caps and §§§§, and wrote it like he was talking down to me, trying to be a smartass.

Anyway... back to the important thing. The Windows XP. I have decided to go with Pro version. I looked around for a cheapest price and I think the cheapest one is on www.pricewatch.com
What they sell is windows licences with out the cd for $75.10, and they sell a MS Windows XP Home & Pro Pre--Installation CD for System Builder for $6. If I bought the cd and the licence that would come out to $81.10 Thats the cheapest I have found, because most people on the forums sell windows xp pro oem for $90-100. Most stores and ebay are $120+. Would it be a legal copy of windows if I bought it that way? Cd and licence seperatly from different stores. Here are links as to what I am talking about.

windows pre instalation cd (http://www.11cb.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CB&Product_Code=788102&Category_Code=MSSW)

windows licence (http://store.yahoo.com/computersystems2go/sfo-winxpplb.html)

Tedinde
01-20-2004, 01:36 PM
$90-$100 for XP pro?? that's suspect. For home maybe.

And good of you to buy a XP cd, a lot of people just use the Stolen Corporate version, no activation. Bill gates will thank you!!!

I use the preinsall CD, nice and when the customer get's it, they just enter their name and a little more data and they are ready to go. That's the home version though.

I love remote desktop, and HT works on the home version, but No duallie support on home version.

Im guessing since another thread i've read of your's where your building your first PC, it's sitting there with no OS.

Id just get the one in the second link if i were you.

Stang_Man
01-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Stangman has got an attitude I dont like. He replied using caps and §§§§, and wrote it like he was talking down to me, trying to be a smartass.

you know what, it's an honest mistake and I am sorry.

but you on the other hand came out with the name calling bull$hit and that's what I DONT LIKE.

Blind_GI
01-20-2004, 05:28 PM
You want people to help you... then don't be an @$$hole.

cowpuppy
01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Maybe you 2 just got off to a bad start. I know stang_man is a good guy that would go out of his way to help anybody here at XS. Stang_Man: I havn't checked sears for those 4-40 studs but right now I really dont need any. I'll let you know when I get down to sears.

sinn
01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
you know what, it's an honest mistake and I am sorry.

but you on the other hand came out with the name calling bull$hit and that's what I DONT LIKE.

i think everyone is overreacting, stang was just trying to help, berries misunderstood his intentions, not a big deal, just let bygones be bygones and forget about it, let this be the end of that

as for the original question, i would very much recconmend XP pro over Home, ive used both, and i greatly prefer Pro, and for that price, definately

Evil_Spork
01-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Blind_GI
You want people to help you... then don't be an @$$hole.

reasonable..

im gunna have to say quit it you two, and berries your acting like a child. he helped you twice, and judging by the 100 posts he has and hes not banned.. i would say hes generally a nice guy to people. SOOOOOOO why assume the worst..?

dont jump all over a guy for saying somehting like that.. just ease up.

STEvil
01-20-2004, 10:39 PM
I vote for Pro.

Actually, I vote for Win2K, but since you only want to decide between Home and Pro, I vote "pro"....

KnightElite
01-21-2004, 12:59 AM
XP Pro ++. No point in getting a retail version though.

nailbomb
01-21-2004, 03:12 AM
XP Pro.

and, would you like a Xanax perhaps? :D

[XC]thewildblue
01-21-2004, 03:57 AM
In the meantime why dont you try knoppix ? Its free and works quite well. Plus you dont need to use your HDD

Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org)

Good bit of software to troubleshoot systems. Good to try Overclocks as well as it doesnt corrupt your hdd !

`schr0et
02-03-2004, 11:45 PM

ROFFLE!!! :rotf:

mp3blast
02-10-2004, 04:21 PM
haha, the box is really importatn :)

i use win2k btw, i just love it

TDR
02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
My vote has to be with Pro

The attack on Stang_Man wasnt really necessary, it doesnt hurt to do some research yourself before asking questions, which is what I would have told you to do if I had seen this thread earlier.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

2 pages off Microsofts website, both can be found easily, no one can tell you what version of XP you need but yourself.

sKiTz0
03-16-2004, 07:22 PM
my high school has a hookup with microsoft.. like universities do. I got a full legal copy of XP pro for free :banana:, and ill also be able to get 2k, 2k3 serv visio and some other stuff.