PDA

View Full Version : Been away from WCing....

[XC] Synthetickiller
05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
...for a while.

I might be doing an 1155 build w/ an i7 2600k at the center of it.

I haven't touched a loop since my Q6600 and D-Tek Fusion. Boy do times change!

I was wondering what you guys think of this:

I want to do an internal loop in an FT02. Here's what I already own:

1. RX360 Radiator
2. MCP655 Pump
3. 7/16" inner diamater tubing
4. MCRES Micro Rev2 (might switch to Koolance RP-452X2)
5. 6 total barbs

I only need a CPU block, so I'd want to know what's best! (Koolance?)

I know that radiator is better than a higher end cooler like Silver Arrow or D14, but will the performance really help get me from say 4.5ghz to 5ghz+ for 24/7?

As well, would performance be good in side a case like this or would it hurt a video card like a gtx 470 or GTX580 that would be air cooled?

Thanks ahead of time guys!

zeropluszero
05-10-2011, 06:19 PM
To the best of my knowledge the CPU block ranking is something like
1- Aqua Computer Kryos
2- EK Supreme HF
3- Koolance 370
4- Swiftech XT

But there's so little difference between them, you're best off going for what's available/cheap/looks best/best mounting

I've owned all 4, all are very nice.

crash5s
05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Keep the MCRES, they bleed crazy good and IMHO they are the best.

[XC] Synthetickiller
05-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys.

The Kryos is a sick looking block. I could always drop 300 USD for the .925 silver edition, lol.

So I haven't really gotten confirmation if water is really necessary with these chips, or its just a a preference. :confused:

Church
05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
zeropluszero: New top blocks (or their new revisions) seem to be very close performance wise, so at this point imho one should start choosing or rating blocks by looking at other features. Price/looks/fitting compatibility/ease of mount/what TIM gonna be used/etc.
Imho one cannot state anymore 'which is best'. Only - "best depending on ..", and to each user depending on his preferences arrangement list will be different.

zeropluszero
05-11-2011, 07:34 AM
zeropluszero: New top blocks (or their new revisions) seem to be very close performance wise, so at this point imho one should start choosing or rating blocks by looking at other features. Price/looks/fitting compatibility/ease of mount/what TIM gonna be used/etc.
Imho one cannot state anymore 'which is best'. Only - "best depending on ..", and to each user depending on his preferences arrangement list will be different.
yeh exactly, i'm going with the Kryos because it looks the best with my set up.

century child
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Synthetickiller;4845196']Thanks guys.

The Kryos is a sick looking block. I could always drop 300 USD for the .925 silver edition, lol.

So I haven't really gotten confirmation if water is really necessary with these chips, or its just a a preference. :confused:

To answer your question, water is not really necessary with these chips, even when overclocking. With good air cooling you will likely reach the same overclocks as with water cooling. That said, I still prefer watercooling my CPU instead of hanging a massive, heavy chunk of metal from my mainboard. The rad will definitely be overkill for a cpu only loop (I'm cooling mine just fine with a single 140 rad in the same case as you have). Additionally you asked previously if having your GPU air cooled in this case would be a bad idea and the answer to that is that this case is actually optimised for that. My video card runs a few degrees cooler in this case than it did previously with a traditional design. There's also a thread in here somewhere with people posting pics of their builds in these cases I would recommend you check out if you haven't already.

Tackleberry
05-11-2011, 02:15 PM
To the best of my knowledge the CPU block ranking is something like
1- Aqua Computer Kryos
2- EK Supreme HF
3- Koolance 370
4- Swiftech XT

But there's so little difference between them, you're best off going for what's available/cheap/looks best/best mounting

I've owned all 4, all are very nice.

vapor made nice CPU roundup 2011. check ranks.:cool:

[XC] Synthetickiller
05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I got another deal and bought the i7. :up:

I'll take a look at cost (I'm in the US) and see what's out there.

A few people w/ the FT02s have said triple rads will basically blow cool air since these don't drop as much heat as 1366 chips.

Kryos looks sick, but I'll still see what the cost is!

Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated.