PDA

View Full Version : Taming Venom

Dolk
05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I have one of the Rev 1 Venoms ( I believe I got it right after the Venom line was announced). For most of the time, I’ve only used it for Dice, and have had no problem with it. Now that I have moved up to LN2, I’m having a couple issues with it. First off, my temp probe seems to only read the pot being around -160 to -175 C I never see anything past those temps.

I have heard that this could be due to how I insulate the pot, or where I place the probe. I have tried using neoprene with sham-wow towels wrapped around, along with frost king + paper towels. Both give me similar results. Nothing below the -175ish range.

I always place my temp probe on the bottom next to the CPU. I have not tried to drill a hole to get a probe near the center of the CPU. If this is the case, has anyone custom made a probe whole for their Rev 1 Venom yet?

--Dolk

Marco André
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey dolk, did you checked if you k-probe is able to read below those temps? Some can't.

Dolk
05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes the K-probe can. A friend of mine bought the exact same thermometer and k-probe, and I've seen his go down to -190. Granted he uses a F1EE with extended pot.

Hondacity
05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
did you put paste inside the hole for the probe?

Dolk
05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
There is no probe hole for the Rev1 Venom. If there is, than its something that I have missed.

Gunslinger
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes the K-probe can. A friend of mine bought the exact same thermometer and k-probe, and I've seen his go down to -190. Granted he uses a F1EE with extended pot.

Just because his can, doesn't mean your's will. Plug it up to your digital thermometer and then submerge the bead in LN2 and see what it reads.:)
If you have a decent thermometer, you may be able to enter in an offset for it to read the correct temp. :up:

You also should consider drilling a small hole in your base for best temperature monitoring, as Honda said, put a little TIM in the hole first.

Dolk
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, I'll try those out.

chew*
05-12-2011, 07:28 AM
My venom differs alot not to mention it's been highly modified but regardless hole as close to mounting surface as possible.

Tim in the hole and then epoxy probe in place and call it a day.

Mine reads at normal ln2 (-192C ) temps and drops 10C tops when say you put severe load say 6.3 wprime 1024M on thuban with retarded volts.

http://chew.ln2cooling.com/The_Laboratory/IMG_3730.jpg

Hondacity
05-12-2011, 08:36 AM
if there is no hole...where are you measuring it at?

Dolk
05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Tape it to the bottom of the block so that it touches the side of the CPU. The Venom has a very very very large bottom.

Chew you did some awesome modificaitions to it. I wonder if the swing is due to the less surface area at the bottom now that you only have a small block instead of what used to be there.

chew*
05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Tape it to the bottom of the block so that it touches the side of the CPU. The Venom has a very very very large bottom.

Chew you did some awesome modificaitions to it. I wonder if the swing is due to the less surface area at the bottom now that you only have a small block instead of what used to be there.

The swing is due to the fact that thuban at 6.3 wprime 1024m with 1.90v+ is dumping over 600 watts of heat.

The closer you have the probe to the mating surface/die of cpu the more likely you are to see a swing.

The extra surface area that was removed does nothing, in fact if anything having the base only contacting IHS is actually better than overhanging it by a large amount.

You have to remember this was a prototype at one point and thus it had almost twice the mass the final rev had, and twice the cost.

There was plenty of extra copper that could be removed with no worries.

stangracin3
05-15-2011, 09:14 PM
The swing is due to the fact that thuban at 6.3 wprime 1024m with 1.90v+ is dumping over 600 watts of heat.

The closer you have the probe to the mating surface/die of cpu the more likely you are to see a swing.

The extra surface area that was removed does nothing, in fact if anything having the base only contacting IHS is actually better than overhanging it by a large amount.

You have to remember this was a prototype at one point and thus it had almost twice the mass the final rev had, and twice the cost.

There was plenty of extra copper that could be removed with no worries.

and people say all amd boards have :banana::banana::banana::banana: PWM's

chew*
05-16-2011, 09:06 AM
and people say all amd boards have :banana::banana::banana::banana: PWM's

heh board took out cpu eventually at that speed :(

Dolk
05-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Same thing for me, my board took out my cherry 1090T that did 6.8ghz.

So it looks like I'll get the enlisment of some of my mechanical engineers to help modify this guy.

Chew how much did you knock off on the bottom?

chew*
05-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Same thing for me, my board took out my cherry 1090T that did 6.8ghz.

So it looks like I'll get the enlisment of some of my mechanical engineers to help modify this guy.

Chew how much did you knock off on the bottom?

maybe 1/16"